Internet Explorer 6.0

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have trouble with www.imprezawrx.com, and other sites that use flash for navigation, despite having flash installed properly in opera, and having it identify as IE5. I remember that opera didn't work properly with some job site, hotjobs.com, or something. I had emailed the webmaster about it, only to get a kurt reply that "opera isn't supported." A couple weeks later it was working flawlessly :)

The mail client still needs a bit work, IMHO, like sorting by thread.

I give it :up: :up:

Cheers,

Mark Broker

I don't know about that particular version

But IMHO Linux is the way to go.

I loaded Red Hat and ran a small network on it for a while and loved it - I only changed back to Windows due to a need to for compatiblity on document swaps.

Linux seemed smoother, more stable and more intuitive at syntax level -

Latest stats I saw were that about 60 percent of the webservers out there are Apache powered, and wouldn't be surprised if the numbers were higher now- Not to mention IBM, HP, and others that are releasing Enterprise editions for LInux

Again, I haven't looked at it in a while, but it seemed to me that the Open Source community was growing and prospering.

Sorry Dave (Planet 10), but I believe the world and the Internet would be a better place if we were all Linux based.

Of course I will admit that I'm prejudiced -

Ken

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: I don't know about that particular version

Ken L said:
Latest stats I saw were that about 60 percent of the webservers out there are Apache powered,

I believe the number is greater

Sorry Dave (Planet 10), but I believe the world and the Internet would be a better place if we were all Linux based.

You should note that some of the most vocal people switching to OS X (Apple's new open-source UNIX based OS) are Linux users. Finally a killer UI on a very solid UNIX that runs MS Office (POS that it is). And on hardware that is better than 99.99% of the Intel boxes (and the undisputed best laptops). I have nothing against Linux...

Go read (or watch the movies) testimonials of people who have switched. One of the more interesting is a fellow who started a very successful ISP in India based on Linux and is now writing an OS X switcher series for one of the Mac websites... i'll see if i can dig up the URL.

I believe the world and the Internet would be a better place if there weren't so many people using M$s mediocre brand of computing.

dave

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
OS.

Hi,

I only changed back to Windows due to a need to for compatiblity on document swaps.

And that is where the problem lies for most of us and the corporate world:Compatibility.

Remember OS/2?

Latest stats I saw were that about 60 percent of the webservers out there are Apache powered, and wouldn't be surprised if the numbers were higher now- Not to mention IBM, HP, and others that are releasing Enterprise editions for LInux

Doesn't really matter what you run on the server as long as your protocol can access it and the file systems are compatible.
One reason to run Apache on a webserver is that you can run it with very little hardware requirements.
Hell,I'm sure a half decent 486 with enough ram and discspace runs it just fine.
IBM has given it a major boost,makes me wonder how long Big Blue is going to let it run for free though.

Don't kid ourselves: a Mac user is a different breed.Period.
No way you're going to convert this lot.;)

Cheers,

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: OS.

fdegrove said:
Don't kid ourselves: a Mac user is a different breed.Period.

Thanks Frank... i've always considered being called normal denigrating...

No way you're going to convert this lot.;)

1 user at a time :D

I think that we already have a higher percentage of Mac users on this forum than in the general population. That would jive with Douglas Adams (RIP) famous quote: "Even though Mac Users may be only 10% of the market, always remember that we are the TOP 10%!"

This is not just the ravings of another Mac Evangelist. There are studies that back up the contention that smarter people are more likely to use Macs.

And anyone who is really fiscally responsible will buy Macs because of the dramatically lower support costs. And anyone in a creative profession is crazy not to use Macs -- there is strong backup for shareholders suing any director of a creative organization that mandates a switch to PCs based solely on lack of fiduciary responsibility.

dave

planet10 said:

I believe the number is greater

You should note that some of the most vocal people switching to OS X (Apple's new open-source UNIX based OS) are Linux users. Finally a killer UI on a very solid UNIX that runs MS Office (POS that it is). And on hardware that is better than 99.99% of the Intel boxes (and the undisputed best laptops). I have nothing against Linux...

I believe the world and the Internet would be a better place if there weren't so many people using M$s mediocre brand of computing.

dave

I probably should have said Open Source rather than Linux - I do tend to think of them at the same time -

I haven't been keeping up with what's been going on the open source community so I'll check out OS X

thanks for the info

Ken

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
pinkmouse said:
the hard drive is a little fragmented so I may have to do a clean install of the OS...

Seems a little drastic. Why not just SpeedDisk it?

I used the same OS (with updates) across 4 machines (7200 to Beige G3) in 8 years. Just copied the old drive to the new drive and away i went. Finally installed fresh with the G4. (one downside of OS X is that it doesn't do this nearly as well).

dave

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Seems a little drastic. Why not just SpeedDisk it?

A) I'm a cheapskate, and as I have never had need of Norton on my Mac (unlike my PCs!) I never bought it, and £80 seems like a lot for a disc optimiser.

B) It's probably a good time to get rid of four years worth of dodgy extensions, etc, and other bits of rubbish that have been accumulating on my hard drive!

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
DEFRAGGING.

Hi,

If you don't have defragmenting software,actually copying files from one place to another and back again has the same effect.

You can't do it with files the os has open though.

Does any of you uses mirroring soft such has Ghost or Drive Image?
It is a lifesaver and if you make a backup once a month (or whatever policy suits you) you will be in business in about 10 to 15 minutes depending on the size of the partition.

Cheers,;)

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hi Frank,

You're right about defragging disks. Contrary popular belief Mac's suffer from defragmentation too. Maybe a bit more than pc's.
No this isn't an anti Mac slogan. I service Mac's and Speeddisk is a very nice tool for defragmentation of Mac's. After defragmenatation the machine is faster and less prone to errors.
I would not use Diskdoctor 6 / 7 though on systems with MacOS 9 or higher. I have reinstalled too many Mac's that were "repaired" by Diskdoctor. Mac's own disktool is better.

Norton Ghost is a fanastic tool and your claim about the time for restoring is true unless someone uses Windows XP ( good, but large ! Takes about 3 cd's ). Drive Image is another one that does its job well. There is a free tool I tried too but it wasn't comparable to Ghost nor Drive Image. Forgot the name.

Problem with Ghost is the cost. Every "ghosted" pc counts for one license. Especially in companies using Ghost will be expensive.
Best is burning the image on a cd together with a Win 98SE bootdisk. Than you can fdisk/format the disk and there will be cd support. In this way you can even "ghost" a newly bought disk that's not even formatted.
Newer versions of Ghost support burning cd's in DOS ! One can make a bootable diskette with only Ghost.exe on it. Boot with the diskette and just run Ghost.exe. Firewire is also supported in the newest version. Imagine burning a cd in DOS on an external Firewire burner !!! Ever tried ghosting over a network ?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
jean-paul said:
You're right about defragging disks. Contrary popular belief Mac's suffer from defragmentation too. Maybe a bit more than pc's.
No this isn't an anti Mac slogan. I service Mac's and Speeddisk is a very nice tool for defragmentation of Mac's. After defragmenatation the machine is faster and less prone to errors.

I'll second that. Speeddisk is an essential utility for the Mac (well worth the £80/$200 CAD). Under X the disk fragments even faster. The need to use Disk Doctor (or Disk Warrior) has gone to about 10% of what it was before the auto check was implemented after a crash (OS 8.6 i believe).

dave

Christian, when setting up a Windows computer. Split the hard drive into two partitions. Give 4 to 8 gigabytes to Windows only. The second partition will be for your data (documents, sounds, download files, audio pictures, etc). Second install Windows, drivers for your hardware, change the location for My Documents and Favorites, copy the CABS files from the CD to your hard drive, and install Norton Ghost. Then image only the windows drive. When something goes wrong you can alway re-image it and you are back up to a freshly Windows OS with your Favorites and My Documents intact. Then install your programs. The easy part is installing the programs.

Always have your anti-virus software running either in the background or scan the downloaded files every time. You can do both if you are very worried. Remember always update the anti-virus software. You can have as many anti-virus software installed but they can not run at the same time.

IE 6 does have spyware included. Use a third-party web browser and do a search on the internet to remove the spyware in IE 6. You need IE 6 to download updates. It is possible to download all the updates from Microsoft but each computer needs certain updates.

The only way I know of correcting a network problem is to remove all network drivers and modem with in the device manager. Then reboot. Upon booting into windows. Windows said it detected new hardware. Install the detected hardware but tell windows to only use the drivers that are located on your driver disk instead on the Windows drive (C). Windows will also tell it has to reboot in order for the drivers to work. Do what it tells you. This is for all Windows versions.

Never upgrade from a previous version of Windows to a higher version. For example Win98 --> Windows XP (upgrade). Ignore what Microsoft recommends and do a full installation.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would still be running Linux, if it weren't for apps. I don't run any games

I have several different needs for sharing docs,etc. with others via e-mail.

I ran Linux for about 7 or 8 months and having to keep getting on another machine for various things was too much hassle.

While I'm not really keeping up, I'm hopeful that the open source community will bring in the ability to run PC programs on a Linux platform.

That's how I would like to run a 'puter if I could.

Ken L
Look at VMWare or BOCH. Either one can run Windows Applications this doesn't include games. VMWare simulates an Intel processor on a Intel based chipset. BOCH can simulate just about any brand of processor and chipset. BOCH is not stable as VMWare.

And anyone in a creative profession is crazy not to use Macs
Look at Virtual Hideout to see what crazy people did their x86 computers.

I have MS IE 6 running right now as well as Netscape 4.78, Netscape 6 (Mozilla), Opera 6 on Win98. All of them starts up in a few seconds. Many people forget to defrag their hard drives every once a while. Remember like DOS, Windows is also messy storing files on a storage medium. Norton Speed Disk is better than Windows Defragger. Its also much, much faster. Norton Speed Disk came with my Norton Utilities 2001 that cost US $50. I feel bad for those that had to pay hefty price tag.

About OS X, its not true UNIX/LINUX. UNIX/LINUX users had a hard time customizing by the config files (fstab, rc, ...). OS X ignores the config files and uses its own. If you want true LINUX get Redhat, Mandrake, SUSE, Slackware, Debian or any distro on DistroWatch. I'm sorry Planet10, but Apple advertised wrong.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Electro said:
About OS X, its not true UNIX/LINUX. UNIX/LINUX users had a hard time customizing by the config files (fstab, rc, ...). OS X ignores the config files and uses its own....I'm sorry Planet10, but Apple advertised wrong.

I don't know enuff to know how the config files don't make OS X a true UNIX (LINUS is not a true UNIX) or what defines a true UNIX, but it is one really solid kick-*** OS (and it is continuously getting better), and is now the largest installed base of UNIX.

And certainly the only UNIX that someone would get for their (average) mom (i don't know whether the iMac Bill Gates bought for his mom is running X).

dave

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
MacOS X is FreeBSD ( www.freebsd.org ) with a shell from Apple. Fact not fiction. MacOS X Jaguar is based on FreeBSD 4.5. Real UNIX as you can see.

It is called Darwin at Apple's and is available for X86 pc as well. Without the Aqua shell that is, unfortunately !!!!

MacOS X probably is the best OS in the world. It has the looks and the power.

What bothers me as a Mac service technician is that former MacOS 9.xx users that enjoyed their OS and not even could spell the name UNIX now all seem to embrace MacOS X ( It's UNIX you know ! ). Worse is that a lot of them now are complaining about the memory management and stability in MacOS 9.xx ! Things that if they came from the mouth of a pc owner could cause a verbal war. One of the reasons Apple developed MacOS X is the less than optimal memory management in their former OSes.

Unices are the best OSes when stability or security are concerned.
Both on pc's and Mac's. User friendliness was not the best until now, something Apple has solved very good with Aqua.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
MIRROR ON THE WALL.

Hi,

Best is burning the image on a cd together with a Win 98SE bootdisk

If the pc supports the cd-drive in bios you can work even faster by making the cd bootable using a floppy image.
On that image you can also provide for a ramdrive and load whatever you need there.

Since the copy was done on a sector by sector and bite by bite basis you dont have to prepare the disk in any way since everything is going to be overwritten anyway.

One program I often use for this (at home) is Drive Image 5.0
from Powerquest (remember Partition Magic?).
It has a driver that emulates a 2.88 Mb floppy in memory that you can edit to you hearts' content.
It also a lot faster then Ghost.

So whenever you decide to do a backup you just launch the program from within the OS and it will then reboot to DOS and launch itself.
Images can then be written to CD format and split to user defined sizes.
I take a complete shot of a full install whit all SP's and all updates for OS and any other soft that I have installed.
I find installing software such as MS Offfice 2000 such a PITA and too time consuming to not include it.
If not you're often busy for half a day going through piles of cds' and arranging thing to how you like them.

Re defragmentation:

Here is what I do to avoid fragmentation and for safety purposes as well in case thing go wrong:

On Win2K: make several partitions :

One containing OS and required software.

Another for the swapfile and IE internet cache and e-mail.

And another one where you store data and any other stuff you temporaly put there.

Also for the Win98 and Millenium users Diskeeper Lite is available at Executive Softwares' site for free and works a lot better and faster then Speeddisk incorporated in these OSs'.

Cheers,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.