Internet Explorer 6.0

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
the one thing that i hate right now about the apple i book. when desplaying www.diyaudio.com for the first time ( fresh browser openings) it is all small and not readable. So i have to spend time going to view and then to text zoon to 12% grr that is annoying.

Screen res is 1024 x 768.

man i cant wait till i get my mac 2x 19" monitors or 15" lcd's HUmm any sujestions. AND NO IM NOT PLAYING GAMES with the computer. MAbey once in a whyle.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
JasonL said:
the one thing that i hate right now about the apple i book. when desplaying www.diyaudio.com for the first time ( fresh browser openings) it is all small and not readable. So i have to spend time going to view and then to text zoon to 12% grr that is annoying.

What browser are you using? -- you should be able to set the default font size. In System Prefs you can also set text display to the mac standard 72 dpi or the PC standard 92 dpi.

I oftem find that some coders who develop on the PC set the font size to unimaginably small. iCab (99% of my browsing) has font scaling buttons in the button bar, you can also set a minimum font size.

dave

I could have probably fugured that out but as i say all the time this is my g.f laptop not mine. My own computer i brows and poke at every thing. lol just like i did with my mandrake i know the in's and out's of that in matter of a month. i must have been up till 2 am every night. : O ) thanks Dave.. Got any ideas why the wireless card ( airport card) would intermitantly work on and off. i have tryed the hard ware diag disk nothing wrong with the card some times it works and some times it doesnt. and of course where i live there is no apple tech support or dealer area to fix it. got any sujestions. Dont even think about saying thinks like did you update the drivers. Im a tech that is the first think i did. still no go though Curently it is working but i bet if i restarted the puter. it would be off. and not show up in the system preference thing.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
JasonL said:
Got any ideas why the wireless card ( airport card) would intermitantly work on and off. i have tryed the hard ware diag disk nothing wrong with the card some times it works and some times it doesnt

What are you using for a base station? I don't have a lot of experience with these, but the shop & a couple guys use them and they mostly work great.

dave

Heh im not using a base station yet i was going to buy one but as it act's up every day i get more and more leary about paying 499 canadian for a apple one. i might go with a dlink there 179 canadian. but i would like the card to work all the time befor i buy the base. im using a cable right now ( pain in the DUFF actualy )

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
JasonL said:
Heh im not using a base station yet i was going to buy one but as it act's up every day i get more and more leary about paying 499 canadian for a apple one. i might go with a dlink there 179 canadian. but i would like the card to work all the time befor i buy the base. im using a cable right now ( pain in the DUFF actualy )

The Airport card won't do anything without a base station. You have to have a base station to receive the radio signals from the airport card. If you are using a cable then the airposrt isn't in the equation at all. RJ45<-> EN cable <-> hub. Usually the problem is a flaky cable, but could be the port on the hub, your broadband provider, the jack on the iBook, or (rarely) the OS. What happens to the IP number as it flakes on & off? When you can't go anywhere on the web can you still fetch mail? Or go out and ping or trace-route something?

dave

NO NO NO i have never used the card in the laptop the brother of my g.f sold it to her for 500 with a cam and the card and 640 megs ram. Im saying the card works and doesnt work like as in shows up on the top bar some times and some times not. if you go into about this mac and more details it gives you a chain list of what is in the system the card some times show in thee and some times not. you with me on this so far.

As someone who tries to make reasonably compliant web pages, I'm going to have to issue a Cease and Desist order for everyone here usign IE5/Mac. Please proceed to the end of the corridor and open the door marked 'Gecko'.

Ken,

Are you quite sure you can't mount your NTFS partitions under Linux? Even in read-only?

As for accessing Linux stuff under Windows, somebody is making a <a href="http://www.tuningsoft.com/">valiant</a> effort (warning: still alpha).

As someone who tries to make reasonably compliant web pages, I'm going to have to issue a Cease and Desist order for everyone here usign IE5/Mac.
Geoff, much as Micro$oft thinks they own the web and set standards, they don't;)
If you are producing any kind of corporate website you should be writing for browsers at least 2 levels below. ie IE4 and Netscape 3. Many big and SME do not upgrade the software on their machines until they are replaced, I still regularly see machines running Win 95 and office 97, because it works, and the support time and cost is too great to upgrade. If a company logs on to one of your IE6 based websites and can't read the info, that business is lost. LOST!!!

Much as all the flashy stuff is fun, basic readability and design under any browser is a vital requirement for a commercial site, and should be a priority when coding, otherwise you run the risk of losing customers for your client. This means supporting other OSs, Mac, Windoze, or Linux, whatever.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
pinkmouse said:
Geoff, much as Micro$oft thinks they own the web and set standards, they don't;)
If you are producing any kind of corporate website you should be writing for browsers at least 2 levels below. ie IE4 and Netscape 3.

Sometimes even written for these a webpage will break. A website that plans to do business, should have no navigation critical javascript, no flash, no frames, no DHTML otherwise you are just throwing business away.

It also seems that it is pretty easy to get both Dreamweaver & Go Live to generate code that breaks.

(and IE5/Mac is my least favorite browser)

dave

Pinky,

I happen to think Windows is a fairly good operating system. Microsoft just get a lot of **** (and some of it rightly so) for their dodgy business practices. Watching Scott McNealy foam at the mouth is also rather hilarious.

Additionally, if I find anyone using Netscape 4, I'm going to send in Eric Scott Raymond overnight to give them AIDS, caprice?

Ken,

Anyone who knows a bit about computers should be able to make a static web site. Getting a nice compliant shiny layout is a little bit harder. Getting a dynamic PHP/mySQL smorgasboard going is even trickier. I admit it's not frontier stuff, but if people stopped using Netscape there would be many happier web developers I can assure you.

Dave,

Ironically, there's a hack to get Dreamweaver to produce XHTML-1.0 compliant code.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.