Interest in a Los Angeles Area DIY Audio Club?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
honfatboy,
Thanks for getting in touch. I'm very new to DIY here and I've also posted on another forum about any "meets." Appears to be thin here in SoCal for these. Of course with gasoline @ $4 it is a restriction, but, I'm willing to see. A lot of the posts are a year+ however, I'd have to think there might be something. One individual writes for an audio 'zine so I'll see if that would be a way to go. Maybe the the sites could be rotated geographically since we are so automobile dependent here.

Let's make something happen!

This has been dormant for a while...

I would be willing to host a little get together in Altadena, CA. I have a bunch of speakers that I built as well as several amps I built (and a few more I didn't build). That could be a start. If people are willing to come over for an afternoon or early evening maybe they could bring along some things. Loudspeakers may be too much to lug around, but maybe a good source or amplifier to hook up. Not really required since I have enough toys to keep us busy for an evening of comparisons.

Timing for me would need to be in the second half of April.

So, for now, presuming you have no schedule conflicts, would you want to come? Just trying to estimate interest here.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

schro20,

I'm in! I'm nearby in Eagle Rock. Don't think I'll have any homebuilt speakers ready (other than some AE IB15 H-frame dipole woofers) but I can bring a small pair of passive nearfield monitors (Hafler M5) as a reference for anyone who does have anything DIY.

cheers,
-Tal

Just a little tease

Allow me to show off a bit to perhaps wet your appetite :)

The first shows Nagaoka horns (snail type construction) and a pair of Lanzetta's (driven by a Roku into a Buffalo DAC [1.03] into a my_ref_RevC). Second picture are my Metronomes (with a horn on the back for the very highest frequencies) driven by a MJR7-MKIII and finally a picture of the Manzis which are taking a back seat right now.

Peter

Attachments

• IMG_3912.jpg
    IMG_3912.jpg
    467.5 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_3915.jpg
    IMG_3915.jpg
    554.8 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_3917.jpg
    IMG_3917.jpg
    637.1 KB · Views: 78
How is this coming Saturday?

Ladies and Gentlemen, how does 11am-3pm (or 4pm) this coming Saturday, April 21 work for everyone? I would prepare a light meal for us to snack on as we enjoy a bunch of different loudspeakers and maybe some things that folks care to bring over. I should note that I am not the kind of guy who has spent thousands of $s on gear. I built a bunch of speakers (mostly single driver, but also a pair of Plutos) and have a bunch of different sources (nothing exotic) and some amps I built myself and ordinary cables in-between. I am mostly just saying this to simply set expectations. No Ferraris in my house (except perhaps for the Plutos which I find quite amazing).

Bla, bla, bla.

If you want to come this Saturday, post here so others can see and send me a PM so I can give you the coordinates.

But first we have to see whether we get a quorum for this Saturday. If there are too few who can make it relative to those who would want to, we'll look for another date.

Peter

In for this or next Saturday!

Hello,

Peter,

Really appreciate your offer of hosting the event! I AM free this coming Saturday, though I probably wouldn't be able to make it at 11, but more towards 1ish. Next Saturday would personally be better for me, but that's just my schedule.

I can bring a pair of Hafler M5 nearfield studio monitors, which are a well-engineered, neutral, compact pair of monitors that are the cheapest speakers I've run across which don't do anything particularly wrong.

Can also certainly bring some foodstuffs to lessen the burden on the gracious host - just let me know what (juice, bagels, etc.)...

cheers,
-Tal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.