Interest in a Los Angeles Area DIY Audio Club?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
LA Area DIY Audio Club?

I know what you feel, bob. My dad was a machinest, ww2 & korea vet and could do anything. Tought me alot. As far as gas, well, after this oil spill in the gulf, I wouldn't doubt we'll be seeing "4.00" this summer, once again. I don't believe for one minute that "We" won't be paying for there f---up! However, multiple club groups may very well be, in fact, good, to start! We could hear about others doings and deside from there where we may want to go. I do believe that it would be nice to have members with diverse interest and it may just work out that maybe different locations have there particular
vocation's in diy. And then, every once in a while, we could call a general meeting, should there be a concensus to do so. Say, for example to bring "pieces" together to audition and further the education. Almost anything, in beginning, would be ok..

All good points, gaincell. On philosophical reflection (I gotta stop doing that) I have been thinking that the hifi and stereo buffs spend much money, energy, and time fussing with electronic boxes just so they can make a piece of paper vibrate (speaker cone). Said that way it seems kinda dumb. But those pieces of paper can sound pretty good I think. Ask a trumpet player about his instrument and he can tell you it's little more than a piece of pipe. And so it goes...

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I would be willing to donate door prizes or ? and might attend depending
on the dates and my plans.
I was a member of the Bass List awhile back and found these get-togethers
very interesting and VERY worthwhile to go to. I've heard a lot of great
DIY Speakers and saw some interesting DIY made speakers which sounded
really good and was very impressed.
Keep me in the loop.

Steve @ Apex Jr

LA Area DIY Club?

Hello, Bob! Apex, I'm going to guess that the "bass list" had to do with Speaker systems or, are you a musician that is also, interested in speakers? Something tells me were picking up a few musicians here. Not a problem, for trained ears are "very" important, in Audio! I guess that goes without saying. We could save the "door prizes" for maybe particularly interesting units that result in unusual quality, evoking great discussion, maybe. "Nice thought"! One other thing I'd like to say here is, that for anyone that may be interested in getting together, to not be intimidated should they not currently have any projects to share! Alot can be learned through just conversation, in Audiophilia! For example, how to listen and how to articulate emotions evoked. In any regards what we hope not to do, is to turn anyone off or, to make another seem somehow, un-worthy. Lets keep it going..

Part of the challenge is in finding a suitable space

And in getting someone to take the reins. Arranging this sort of thing takes some doing.

Steve, I don't suppose you have any available space in your Warehouse? If you'd be willing to host I'm sure you could get quite a few amps/drivers sold during that time.... Maybe some of your nice high-eff soft domes like I used in the smaller horns here (sans ferrofluid)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
LA Area DIY Audio Club?

Hilarious Bob! We may all be deciding to head for a river before things are all said and done. Steve, it's allright that your not a musician. Neither am I. As a younger person I studied, drums, guitar, piano and trumpet and didn't wind up becomming one. Maybe it was because being left handed got in the way alot. However, I did develope "an ear"! And learned to love music, anyway!! The late sixties, 70's and even some of the eighties, when I was comming along, were ripe with talented musicians and back during that period, in the north east, we saw everyone!! From, America to, Zeppelin! And even experienced the Classics, in Tanglewood, Mass. To me, what is so facinating about Audio, is that somehow, we can continue to not only hold close to us many of these experiences but, also, continue to explore and evolve with new music "and also" in our lucky case, things like film capacitors, stealth diodes and further computer/math-cad modeling of speaker technologies. It's a Great vice, especially with city-living.. "Shane".

Last edited by a moderator:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Steve, I don't suppose you have any available space in your Warehouse? If you'd be willing to host I'm sure you could get quite a few amps/drivers sold during that time.... Maybe some of your nice high-eff soft domes like I used in the smaller horns here (sans ferrofluid)

Maybe down the road, however I just moved 3 smaller warehouses to a
large 6000 sq ft one and am not yet organized, I suspect since I'm still
a one man operation it will take me awhile to get things on shelves and
really see what I have in stock. But will consider it down the road.

Steve @ Apex Jr.

I will be happy to host, there could be a (very) small room for small speakers vis a vis my daughter's bedroom, a medium sized room in the master suite, and a decently large (though limited by odd shape) room we can use.

Also present are quite a few speakers, amps, etc.

This summer would be a good time for me as on some weeks my little ones will be with their grandmother.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.