Instrumentation amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I don't think you are understanding the term offset. In LTspice, it is a DC voltage you have 'added' to the signal. In other words the input signal sits on top of this voltage. If you wish to treat that offset as part of the signal then you need to design the amp to work correctly all the way down to DC.

So your 2.5 volt offset is correctly giving a DC voltage of 6.66 volts DC at the opamp output. If you make the offset minus 2.5 volts then the opamp output becomes minus 6.66 volts.

Y=mX-C, this is equation I want to implement. m=gain=2.666 , Y=output,
X=input(1.2 amplitude with 2.5 dc offset), I want this -C to implemented.
I can do it by using a subtractor but I have only positive power supply.
What to do in such a situation?
or choosing an op amp having offset of -4.865 but getting this value is not possible?

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I still don't understand what -C is. Is it a negative gain factor you multiply the result by.

This shows your circuit and vout together with -vout. Is that what you want to do ? If so then C in this case is -1

Capture3.JPG

Mooly,

y = mx+c is the standard equation for a straight line function.

m = slope or gradient or "gain"
c = offset from origin.

Using an op amp, m is defined by gain ratio -Rf/Rin etc, and c can be an addition fixed input summed to the output.

AFAIR (a LONG time ago!) this will need two stages, the first setting the gain, the second adding the constant. Polarities will be tricky, even more so with only a V+ supply.

'sounds like H616148 has been set a college problem?

Once again this points out the need for the OP to fully state the problem at the beginning.

I need an inst. amp goes nowhere. I need to implement a y=mx+c function, and i only have a single supply would have got us straight to this point!

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Sounds like OP-AMP 101, using an operational amplifier to solve an equation?

A good 'ole analogue computer from way back when :D

Mooly,

y = mx+c is the standard equation for a straight line function.

m = slope or gradient or "gain"
c = offset from origin.

Thanks :) Maths in pretty much any form has never been a strong point of mine. I'll be honest, seeing that equation didn't ring any bells either :eek:

'sounds like H616148 has been set a college problem?

Once again this points out the need for the OP to fully state the problem at the beginning.

This is fundamental to any design... lay out your requirements, draw up a specification. A few posts back and it was mentioned that the input signal was AC and of limited bandwidth.

It is a AC signal from 10Hz to 1Khz.

You have placed R1 in the wrong leg of U1.
R1 should go from R6 to the output of U1 and not to the input.
And R6 should go directly to the - input of U1.

If not using a minus supply, you should give both sine generators an offset like Sine(7.5 1.2 1000) and Sine (7.5 -1.2 1000)

Succes,
Hans

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.