Installing and using LTspice IV (now including LTXVII), From beginner to advanced

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Jan,
Right click on the graph.
Left click on "View".
Left Click the check box that says "Grid".

My copy of LTSPICE XVII is stable...but then, it isn't the latest version, it is from May 3, 2017.

That's it, funny how you can miss the obvious....

Thanks Mooly and Hans for the same solution.

On the instability, when I start up either computer I get some message about .NET, maybe I don't have the latest version of that. I'll explore that.

Edit: I have .NET V4.7.xx, the latest update with the W10 Fall Creaters Update.

Jan

Last edited:
- Every 10 minutes or so, LTspice crashes. A nuisance. It happens on both computers, a laptop and a PC, both running W10 Pro. Anybody seem this too?

@Jan, No, Nee

Your system must be suspect, I have never seen frequent (or even un-frequent) crashes (with LTspice, 35 years of IT has shown me [you guess] many crashes). I do volanteer to test your model (under NDA) just to see if it is the system or the models.

P.s. I'm frequently running LTspice on my main-PC, laptop and LAB-PC.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Try 'Control Panel' and then 'Programs and Features'. At the top left it says 'Turn Windows Features On or Off'

Enabling this will conect to Windows Update and install the required files. It only takes a few minutes from memory.

Odd though, you would think XVII would be suitable for the default W10 installation.

Attachments

• CP1.JPG
    CP1.JPG
    213.7 KB · Views: 141
  • CP2.JPG
    CP2.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 141
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Interesting.

I know I have to manually enable that following a clean install of Windows because if I forget then the PicKit installer prompts to manually install the files needed.

I probably haven't tried running LT without doing that tbh because I normally clean install W10 and all software in one go without actually running anything.

Odd :)

Same here, I had to manually enable the 3.5-frame-work, but (big BUT) the software should do this automatically, when being installed it should 'request' the 3.5-frame-work and it should then be enabled. This all depends on the way the installer is being programmed (the install script) and on the installer that has been used.

In any case, having the correct frame-work installed is (should be) a go-no-go situation, it is not expected that the application runs until it 'needs' the 3.5-frame-work. And thus (I suspect) is having the 3.5-frame-work uninstalled/disabled not the reason for the spurious errors (e.g. running for some time and then crashing).

Lets see what Jan reports...

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I checked in the settings and both .net 3.5 and 4.7 were enabled. BUT under the .net 3.5 entry were two sub-entries that were NOT enabled. I did enable those as well and so far, no more crashes. But only time limited test. Hopefully this is solved now.
Thanks guys for tips and jogging my brain!

Edit: rejoiced too early - just crashed after I modified the .tran settings....

Jan

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Jan... I'm thinking back some months and I recall I did have a sim that locked up when running a .tran

Does the screen flicker rapidly, and the only way to stop thing is to use task manager ?

Currently I am on W10 ver 1709, Build 16299.125 which is the most current. This was a clean install when 'Creators Fall' edition was released a few weeks ago.

You could try running LT in compatability mode for W7 or W8.1 and see if that helps.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
What is a clincher Jan is that you mentioned this happened on two PC's which are presumably totally different in architecture.

I've found Mike Engelhardt very approachable over any quirks or issues... he can be reached via the inbuilt link in LT and normally replies after a few days.

If it really does seem to be a specific circuit and you could share then send him a copy (plus a model sheet as appropriate).

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 139
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Jan... I'm thinking back some months and I recall I did have a sim that locked up when running a .tran

Does the screen flicker rapidly, and the only way to stop thing is to use task manager ?

Currently I am on W10 ver 1709, Build 16299.125 which is the most current. This was a clean install when 'Creators Fall' edition was released a few weeks ago.

You could try running LT in compatability mode for W7 or W8.1 and see if that helps.

No I get the Windows message 'Program has stopped working, Windows is looking for a solution'.
I'll do some more checking, then maybe send it to Mike.

Thanks for the pointers Karl.

Jan

@Jan, so your sim is running (some time). I have seen crashes related to output file size, try this:

.param freq 1k; Generator frequency
.param prec 1k; Simulation precicion (actualy time step size)
.tran 0 {11/freq} {1/freq} {(1/freq)/prec}

Setting 'prec' to 1k will do a quick-and-dirty simulation generating little data (small output file size(s)).
Setting 'prec' to 100k will perform a 100 times more precise (and slower) simulation generating 100 times more data (larger file sizes).

See how (if) using this 'prec'-variable changes the moment of crashing.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hello, new to this forum, but I've been trying to find a solution to the current problem I'm having with LTspice. I just downloaded the software and the components are not coming up when I click on them. Does anyone have an idea what could be wrong and how I can fix this? Thanks

What do you mean 'when I click on them'? Please provide a more detailed description of the situation.

Jan