• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Industrial SMD Gainclone - group buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
so, without much planning I went into soldering... and it goes really fast. I never soldered 805 before but I have no problem and I only use one solering station.
here it is how I do it: I put just a tiny bit of solder on one of the two pads, solder the part on that pad, and then I solder the part to the other pad. straightforward :)

happy soldering to those who got the boards and have the parts :hot:

Right on! If you "wet" the pads with fresh tin you will also get flux which is enough to get good solder joint only by warming and not add any more tin.

...so this awfully difficult task is proved over and over again that it isn't so hard after all, but a good pcb with solder mask helps.

If you do have two soldering irons it's even easier.

peranders said:
If you do have two soldering irons it's even easier.
Hmmmm.... I'm not sure. Let me tell you why.
I work the following way: I put that tiny bit of solder on a lot of pads then with the left hand I pick the part with the tweezers, I put it on the right place and with the right hand I solder it there. It goes extremely fast. WIth two irons I would have to stop for placing the components or positioning the components right(the control over the smd part is not that good as with the tweezers). And not last, I only got one good iron, so I can't really try it. Maybe it is easier after all ;)

wytco0 said:
What size solder and bit did you guys use?
I don't know the exact size, but it's very small.

A very nice little white package arived here today in the U.S. Containing PCB's and inductors.
Thanks P-A. I can't wait to populate these nice PCB's but first I need to source the rest of the parts:D

BTW the SMD parts aren't as small as they were made out to be so It looks like fun!!!
Regards.
Craig

Just wanted to say that I'm extremely dissapointed with the X1-x8 connectors :(
It's almost impossible to fing those connectors here. Only Buerklin has them and I don't want to order from them just for this connectors. I can clearly say that by using this connectors you made a mistake. And don't give me the story with order from elfa 'cause I don't want to order only some connectors and pay 12eur for the shipping.
Another weak point is that it's not easy to connect the two + from traffos if one doesn't want to use the on-board fuses. One connector has to be placed on the right side of the boards the other somewher is the middle. If it wasn't for those connectors I could have long listened to some sound comming out of this amps.

Ahhh... almost forgot... why such a low gain? It ain't standard by no means :(

You live in Germany and surely you must be able to get hold of common car connectors? Hasn't Digikey Germany got them?

The fuse question: Why? Why is it hard to connect?

You can choose the gain to be anything. I like 22 and fit my signal sources pretty well but you only have to change one resistor. You can have 100 as gain if you want.

Notice all other builders: My component values are a suggestion only. Change them if you feel that you need to.

peranders said:
You live in Germany and surely you must be able to get hold of common car connectors? Hasn't Digikey Germany got them?

The fuse question: Why? Why is it hard to connect?

You can choose the gain to be anything. I like 22 and fit my signal sources pretty well but you only have to change one resistor. You can have 100 as gain if you want.

Notice all other builders: My component values are a suggestion only. Change them if you feel that you need to.
I already said I found them at buerklin, and digikey is no better either.
About the fuse, I already said(I'll use the fuses holes for connectors).
The gain, does this amp have a 22x gain? Isn't it 18x? Of course I can tweak it to whatever I want to but I don't have the parts yet ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.