[INDIA] Chassis, knobs, PCB makers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Tarun, Goerge,

If u have enough left (after satisfying all the orders placed before me, could you also include 4 for me in the package that you send to George if possible (I think i can collect and settle the associated costs with him, George let me know if you are okay with it? I am okay as long as you dont ask for 'aged18 maal' as barter) :D

Please let me know.

Thanx
ajju.

that's easy AND difficult

gjo said:

Question for J-P-Where can I shop in the US for a good stepped 50K volume control-Noble or Alps?

I Hope I can get some help from others in the US on this question as well ......

look at these links:

http://www.octave-electronics.com/Parts/volumepots.shtml

http://www.mouser.com/

and a company easy to deal with, Canadian but prices are always in USD, and very decent imho, is :

http://www.partsconnexion.com/econnexion/eflash_6702/eflash.html.

and ofcourse ebay is an interesting source if the seller can give proof or the fact that they are original ALps or Noble pots...

these are all NET stores, I have no idea of any store around in Washington state where you can walk in and pick up a 50$ Alps stepped attenuator. The house of Science, G&C etc have nothing that comes even close!
There is a chain store called Frys (frys.com) (also on the web as outpost.com ) they seem to have some alps and noble pot products but not on a regular basis. prices are good though!

Jean-Pierre

PCBs

Dear Friends,
Hi!
Like Patrick I am also a HAM operator. Over years we had to homebrew each and every equipment. Imported ones were too costly.
Here in my town I have a friend who makes PCBs. Cost charged is 90 paise per sq inch for Paper phenolic C8000 grade, Rs1.25/sq inch for paper epoxy CM3 grade ( cream matt finish type) and Rs1.90/sq inch for glass epoxy. Only additional charge is Rs150 per design for the screen.
I feel Laser printouts are more than sufficient for casual audio design, no dobt a photo plot gives much sharp layouts.
Presently I am getting PCB made for the Citaion 12 Mosfet version. The pdf of pcb is larger than permitted size if any one needs one mail me at : lkorahul@yahoo.com
If many are interested in a particular project I offer to get low cost single sided PCBs made here.
Regards
Rahul
PS: I can also do layouts using Easypc and provide all necessary files.

Ajju

No problem from my end..

J-P

I need a 50K stepped volume control similar to what I have on my exisiting preamp, which is a Noble 100K. It has a nice feel, and is very precise. Noble pots IIRC are priced around $20-25, as are Alps, which I am comfortable with. Ebay is not an option for me at this time..

This new stepped volume control is to upgrade the 50K pot that I have on my new tube preamp(the Grounded Grid) from Transcendent Sound. I checked Part Connexion, but they have only a stepped 100K volume control-they also carry the TKDs which are waaay too high priced..Transcendent Sound also offers something similar to the tKD, priced around $60-70. I checked Digikey, havent found anything suitable. Octave Electronics is in Malaysia!

If I cant get it I won't shed any tears over it-the existing pot works quite ok!

Re: seems like a plan!

uvodee said:
I was indeed intending to send some knobs around to various interested parties! (maybe even a dealer if you want to!!!!) so I would please, like to get 8 or even 10 if that is feasible.
Thanks for your offer, but I feel dealers are able to take care of their own interests very well. I have been emailed off-list by a couple of people from Europe and the US who have seen the pics on the forum and want to order hundreds of knobs from Uncle Harry. I've put them in touch with Uncle Harry, and discussions are progressing well, AFAIK.

Dealers, who are in it for business reasons, usually have a clear idea of the true value of these knobs, and are not distracted with the kind of arbitrary, unreasonable, and misinformed comments that some members have posted on the forums about prices being too high or cheaper knobs being available in small quantities from Europe. Dealers usually know the market pretty well, and don't get misled by such crap; some of them have told me so themselves. They've been most dismissive of the half-baked opinions they've seen about pricing on the group-buy thread, and they've revealed to me what extremely high prices they are paying for knobs from Denmark, Belgium, and the like. In most cases, their old prices were ten to twenty times what they expect they'll get from India, even after factoring in the courier costs. I'm glad Uncle Harry's work is getting the importance it deserves.

And the Indian DIYers seem to be quite clear (see this thread) that these knobs are excellent value, so we seem to be taking care of ourselves quite well. :)

It's only the DIY amateurs from Europe and America who are suffering due to the nonsense about pricing and profiteering that has been floating around. I wish them luck. If they want to try Uncle Harry's knobs some day, may be you can extend your help to them since they are the ones who need it the most. And personal friends like Variac, I'll take care of myself. Always. I guess we Indians are "like that only." :D

How many knobs for B'lore?

Hi, Vivek, Ajju, and George,

How many knobs should I send you? I intend to send about 10, maybe 12, to Jean-Pierre through George's suitcase. How many should I add to that for your local consumption?

I'm thinking of asking Jean-Pierre to buy two of these pots and send them to George's maildrop. They'll hardly add weight to George's suitcase on the way back, but will cover the cost of about 12 knobs plus a bit of postage, I should think. I haven't asked him to buy anything yet, because I am waiting for George's plans to be finalised and quantities to be decided.

Can you guys let me know in a day or two?

What about an Indian group-build of Gainclones?

Do you guys want to build Gainclones? Assuming you have access to all the components, we could do a very inexpensive group-order for the PCBs. I could arrange it, considering I'm on the verge of finishing my own design for myself. I've been discussing my schematic and layout with Roadkill, BrianGT, and others here and the costing suddenly began to look very attractive. I then realised that with George visiting the US, we can even ask him to do a group-ship of a couple of dozen chips for all of us. We can order from here, pay using credit cards, and ask Digikey to ship them to any address anywhere in the world (I've done it before). So, if George is willing to become our reluctant messiah ... oops, I meant reluctant carrier.... we can ask for Digikey to ship them to his address in the US.

We could even do two types of boards, one for the LM3875, and one for the LM3886.

How does it sound? :) (See, I'm not asking George how it sounds to him. :D ) We need to decide fast, if we want to exploit George's trip.

Arre Tarunbhai

KLPJD ke baad aap hamara gaand mat phatadijiye!

Interesting posts and things lok as if they are getting hotter on the diy scene with every passing day!

No problem on the pots/chips, in fact I saw the Brigar site a while ago and had forwarded the link to someone here in Bangalore, but forgot to bookmark it, so thanks for the link.

I saw the gainclone group order wiki as well as Brian's site, and for a mad moment almost leaped into it! Then sanity prevailed- I thought it better to focus on projects in hand and complete them..

However, no problem if you want some of this stuff from there. I suggest that you give me a week's time to firm up everything. I will confirm US shipping address etc, no later than this Wednesday, March 17th. I will be reaching my brother's place in Nashville TN on April 1st and depart there on the 10th for Florida, so there is enough and more time for any item to be shipped and reach there. As of now I leave Miami on April 18th for Bangalore.

Two knobs are fine for me at this time.Tarun if J-P is paying by barter for the knobs for you, then just let me know, I need to pay only for what I am ordering.

BTW, I met someone yesterday who is an audiophile and he was talking about his friend who is the Vifa agent here(Corrson sp?). He said this guys prices are lower than these in Singapore! He apparently plans to get some high end drivers a little later after gauging the demand..

George

Sorry-the reference wasnt to my friend but to Shiva of Corrson. My friend told me yesterday about the local guy(Shiva), whom he knew who is a new Vifa dealer...

I am in the final stages of getting my Audax HT main L-R done after along period of hibernation. Plan to mount the drivers and crossovers into the enclsoures on Monday and then sometime after that fire up my HT system. I need to locate a decent screen for my LCD projector. (This is the current project on hand)

George

Hello Bonsoir, Goede avond

Guys, I am reading and floowing your conversations.
Everything that has been suggested for me to do seems very possible.
Time framing, stuff etc... all looks good.
I will be floowing attentively and act immediately when things get concrete (things to order, mailing address etc.!)

Jean-Pierre

I have 2 questions fro you guys.
Primo) Considering you guys live realtively close to Indonesia, have you ever ordered from there? Seems to me that a lot of electronic components is extremely cheap or am I wrong?
Secundo) Does anyone of you guys use blue leds in their projects? just a question, i don't need any, I have enough of them.

Re: Hello Bonsoir, Goede avond

uvodee said:
Guys, I am reading and floowing your conversations.
Hope you are enjoying the "floowing", whatever that is...

Primo) Considering you guys live realtively close to Indonesia, have you ever ordered from there? Seems to me that a lot of electronic components is extremely cheap or am I wrong?
My personal opinion is that as far as int'l imports go, it doesn't matter which country you import from... the geographical distance does not matter. And hence, it's a little more streamlined to import from countries like the US or UK which do business in English and you discover all sorts of contacts there.

Secundo) Does anyone of you guys use blue leds in their projects? just a question, i don't need any, I have enough of them.
I can't answer your question, but I'd love to use blue LEDs. I've not dared, because I've read dire warnings about how static charge destroys the delicate beasts. Availability in India will also be an issue, I think, not to speak of price.

Do you guys want to build Gainclones? Assuming you have access to all the components, we could do a very inexpensive group-order for the PCBs. I could arrange it, considering I'm on the verge of finishing my own

Its all happening and am struggling to keep pace..:drunk:

BTW, I met someone yesterday who is an audiophile and he was talking about his friend who is the Vifa agent here(Corrson sp?). He said this guys prices are lower than these in Singapore! He apparently plans to get some high end drivers a little later after gauging the demand..

I'll be meeting Shiva (corrson) tomorrow. Vivek told me that shiva indeed has a bunch of audiophile friends who plan to meet regularly at his office which is beeing setup now. And he does have plans of bringing in better drivers. if i remember correctly , i think once he told me that he has a stock of some scanspeaks. I'm not sure.. Will confirm tomorrow. :) He has promised to show me all the components that he stocks currently. Rt now he is busy setting up his office and plan to bring out brochure's and price lists sometime soon.
Will keep all of you posted of the developments.

Btw, do you guys think introducing him to this forum and all the local guys who are active here, is a good idea..?

ajju

Vivek said:
I'll buy four knobs.
sunil said:
Hi. I'm a friend of George in Bangalore. I'd like to buy 4 knobs.
So the total tally for B'lore is 2+4+4+4 = 14. And ten more are needed for the padre. I hope there's a large enough inventory for all this, after the bulk order from the UK. And then there's our friend from Jamshedpur who wanted three.

Price: assume about a dollar each. It'll go up a bit after courier charges are added.

Good idea to introduce Shiva to the forum. Hope his prices don't go up with the popularity.
Actually, I hope they do. :D I feel there aren't enough diy suppliers in India because they don't make enough money. Once they make money, they'll do well, thus leading to more suppliers, more choices for us, and easier sourcing of stuff. There are a second breed of suppliers, who address the pro audio market. Narain's in L.Road is one of them. They are doing very well indeed, it seems. They get orders for hundreds of high-power woofers in a single order for a single installation (large auditoria and stadium audio), and they do dozens of pubs, discos, and PlanetM audio setups. I just wish the home audio component market picks up that way too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.