In praise of Tribute Autoformer Volume Control

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Speaking to Pieter and to more experienced friends yes I see how this works.

The Tribute stereo (2-way) control can accept 7VRMS so as long as the voltage across the two phases doesn't exceed this then it should be ok. There's also the increased indutnace : 150H of single coil inductance is some 18k at 20Hz (becoming much higher at higher frequencies), with 2 coils not a problem but possible effects from running it across the 2 phases.

Some of this is beyond my experience and knowledge level, so I'm going to build it and try it out. One suggestion was to give the output a 0v reference as per the diagram attached.

Pieter T is right that with the AVC you will need 4 for balanced operation. And to add to that the two AVCs that go into 1 channel should be very tighlty matched. It will be comparable to this proposed circuit by DACT, with AVCs instead of pots.
Wiring a balanced stereo passive volume control

Still I prefere the method proposed here K&K Audio | Raleigh Audio Line Stage the stepped shunt attenuator - which keeps all virtues of true balanced operation.

Hi Maxime,
Tribute did not close business.
However professional customers have priority at the moment.
Standard products like inductive volume controls and MC step up transformers are and remain normally available.
I prefer not to participate in this thread as I am the manufacturer, and some moderators consider any input from manufacturers as being suspect.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
And this would be the equivalent for an Autoformer I guess

Be careful with that. Pin 1 of an XLR should be connected to chassis and not to signal ground. If you want to provide DC bias with the two resistors, they should be connected to signal ground. Except that, in a balanced system, there is no signal ground: the signal is the difference between the two phases and that can, in theory, be anything with respect to ground. Connect anything to 'ground' and presto! scope for hum, noise, etc.

Jan

Autoformer Volume Control's are fantastic.
Now music have greater transparency :)
I enjoy it :note: Modified Cd player have a lot of gain.
I keep my tube preamp just for the phono section
tumblr_nqkbuspcdn1qbxxxho1_500.gif

Kindest regards

Disabled Account
Joined 2015
Hi Maxime,
Tribute did not close business.
However professional customers have priority at the moment.
Standard products like inductive volume controls and MC step up transformers are and remain normally available.
I prefer not to participate in this thread as I am the manufacturer, and some moderators consider any input from manufacturers as being suspect.

This may have been the source of confusion.. Tribute - The final word in audiotransformers

Latest news: 12 Sep 2014

"I (Tribute Audio Transformers) have served the DIY audio community during the last fifteen years with custom winding all sorts of transformers. Most of the time these activities were fun, not only picking up challenges by trying to improve the products during these years, but also communicating with DIY'ers worldwide and discussing their projects. Being a very time consuming act however, and not willing to compromise quality, it has a downside too: too often lead times got out of hand, causing stress on both sides. Taking my age into account I did not want this situation to continue; I am 64 years now and when I slow down over the years to come I prefer to do it in a more relaxed way. Therefore I dediced to stop DIY custom winding within a couple of months; this means that I will serve my existing DIY customers as much as possible, but new customers have to look elsewhere. Priority will be given to my professional customers; they need reliable lead times. In that new situation there is less diversity in transformers which will make it less time consuming, more relaxed. I wish you all the very best".

Pieter Treurniet,
Tribute Audio Transformers

I would love for you to wind me a pair of 3k3 OPT to suit 300B... - any chances?.

BR's

LH/S

Last edited:
In my view the price for the stereo (2-way) AVC is stunningly good value. It is similar to the price of the Audio Note Stereo tantalum-loaded stepped attenuator. I have one of those (actually I really should sell it as I'll never go back).

I use balanced differential DAC/PRE and convert to single-ended at the input stage of my power amp, so I use the Stereo Balanced (4-way) AVC. Beautiful work and sounds superb. About twice the price of the 2-way.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.