Improving on X-BosoZ to mate the F4

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
steenoe said:
Thanks for advice, Tony. I will see what can be found around here.
I couldnt wait with the J-fet thing, I will fire it up now and have a little listen:) Have a look at a Twisting Twisted;)

Steen:)

Lucky Luke........faster in building that me in drawing........even if you count that 90% of my drawings are plain mumbo jumbo

keep us informed

Zen Mod said:
seems that steen's hands are full with work..........or he's busy with other things........or it's just too thrilled with results......... :devilr:

or he is finally normal human,enjoyin' Sunday with family ;)
The last option is correct, and since this afternoon the thrill also:)
The J-fet modification was just what the BosoZ needed. I had a little debugging to do on my boards since I couldnt get the bias right. I had 7,5V zeners for D1 and that didnt work. I have been listening to it for a couple of hours and it sounds very good with the j-fets. There is more air and details in the topend as expected, expanding the soundstage. The J-fet upgrade is very worthwhile. This is the smooth sound that I was hoping for.
Thanks to Metalman and Zen Mod:cool: I am looking forward to make it balanced out again and hook it up to the A-X's. Pretty exciting, how that will turn out:)

Edit. For easy search, this is the schematic with the changes needed to make the J-fet X-BosoZ. See Zen Mods link below;)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
steenoe said:

The last option is correct, and since this afternoon the thrill also:)
The J-fet modification was just what the BosoZ needed. I had a little debugging to do on my boards since I couldnt get the bias right. I had 7,5V zeners for D1 and that didnt work. I have been listening to it for a couple of hours and it sounds very good with the j-fets. There is more air and details in the topend as expected, expanding the soundstage. The J-fet upgrade is very worthwhile. This is the smooth sound that I was hoping for.
Thanks to Metalman and Zen Mod:cool: I am looking forward to make it balanced out again and hook it up to the A-X's. Pretty exciting, how that will turn out:)

Edit. For easy search, this is the schematic with the changes needed to make the J-fet X-BosoZhttp://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1195149#post1195149

correction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is correct schmtc:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1195270#post1195270

steen............
me.....(ZM).......happy camper

:worship:

YGM

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
steenoe said:
............................. I had a little debugging to do on my boards since I couldnt get the bias right. I had 7,5V zeners for D1 and that didnt work.................

another quoting.........
as you mention to me in PM, it was crucial to down-rate bias through each half to 10ma,so we can freely assume that -with BL iteration- that is max current one can use for 2SK170 in that circuit.

with more than 10mA ,gate is too close to 0 volts ,so much closer to non-linear region ........

so- seems that 0,7V difference between mentioned zeners isn't much......but it is ......... :devilr:

edit:
here is older variation,I think from jfet-bosoz thread

"poorman variation of steen's jfet bosoz"

:clown:

hehe-but boyz in that tread were stucked with sims....... :devilr: and I haven't any intention to actually build it......I'm so glad that my "Lucky Luke like" man steen is going to purchase CRO and SG............... (if for nothing else than for trying my crazy drawings :drunk: )

Attachments

• jfet bosoz.jpg
    jfet bosoz.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 722
steenoe said:
The J-fet modification was just what the BosoZ needed. I had a little debugging to do on my boards since I couldnt get the bias right. I had 7,5V zeners for D1 and that didnt work. I have been listening to it for a couple of hours and it sounds very good with the j-fets. There is more air and details in the topend as expected, expanding the soundstage. The J-fet upgrade is very worthwhile.

Much happiness all around. I knew the BoSoZ should be able to sing along with the F4, and I am glad I could contribute to getting it there. I was very happy with mine, but hearing your opinion of the JFET upgrade reminds me that I have some matched pairs of 2SK170BL's lying around. I may have to abandon my perfboard creations and etch up some proper pcb's.

Oh, right! I still need to build the F4's too!

Metalman, Steen, Choky, et al....

I inspired by your work here. :) I will modify the Twisted XBOSOZ with just one voltage ref (my original had two) and spots for either the JFETs or FETs. :)

Nelson, The F4 looks very promising indeed!

I am planning an building a pair and driving them balanced (SuSy style) in the feedback of a TXD module. The should give me plenty of output. It actually works a lot like the XBOSOZ.

Cheers!
Russ

carpenter said:
Hey Russ,

Is there a way to revamp your XBoSoZ, or is the new kit going to be completely different?

I'd like to make the necessary mods to your old kit, still sitting in a box under my work table awaiting my soldering iron.

John:)

I'm in the same boat! I have the Twisted xBosoz and have not had a chance to get to it. It would be great to mod it with the jfet inputs.

-David

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
In the same boat lll Lazy Question:

Say someone had a box of parts for the metalman based Xbosoz.
How much difference in values and parts are there between it and the twisted version? Maybe I, er, that someone, should just order the new twisted boards......

Russ, get that balanced DAC in production- we need the balanced output!!!! That's an order!!! (please)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
carpenter said:
Hey Russ,

Is there a way to revamp your XBoSoZ, or is the new kit going to be completely different?

I'd like to make the necessary mods to your old kit, still sitting in a box under my work table awaiting my soldering iron.

John:)

dw8083 said:

I'm in the same boat! I have the Twisted xBosoz and have not had a chance to get to it. It would be great to mod it with the jfet inputs.

-David

Variac said:
In the same boat lll Lazy Question:

Say someone had a box of parts for the metalman based Xbosoz.
How much difference in values and parts are there between it and the twisted version? Maybe I, er, that someone, should just order the new twisted boards......

Russ, get that balanced DAC in production- we need the balanced output!!!! That's an order!!! (please)

ask politely (!) Mr. Steenoe to post one bigger picture. That will be enough

:devilr:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.