Improving older test equipment

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
john curl said:
Which Heathkit audio oscillator? Jackinnj Tube or transistor? I built both. Still have the transistor sine-square unit. Never went the whole route with it. Pretty good square wave, though.

IG-5218 -- purchased as a kit probably around 1980 or so.

First thing to do was add a meter amplifier, the biggest shortcoming in the whole device. I have a different output amplifier on it now as well since you can only get 1V or so out of the thing into a low-ish impedance load. The Cx and Cy caps were very high quality, the phenolic switches less so.

If I recall, the power supply was something like 43V, but the transformer was CT so you could run NE5534's and build a "Hofer" in there!

The square wave was specified with a 50ns rise time -- not bad.

I did have a Heath HD-1 Analyzer, but sold it on EBay, same with the IM analyzer -- just too much space. I still have a 5281 impedance bridge which is pretty nice.

Edit -- looks like the 2N4091 FET used in the Cordell source is unobtanium, and the part used in the SG505 was proprietary to Tektronix.

Some of you, just don't get it. You can BUY used equipment for less money, time, and effort that it would take to modify an OSCILLOSCOPE for example. This also goes for virtually any HP equipment that is not primarily composed of IC's of the usual kind, and with standard pin-outs.
If this were an auto thread, you would ask me how to hop up your old Ferrari, or how to hop up your Ford Falcon. :bawling: Like Click and Clack (the mechanics) might say, 'It isn't worth it' Just live with it, or get something else.

anatech said:
Hi,
Also, not much wrong with a 331/2/3/4 THD meter either. They double as an accurate audio level meter, better than Leader or Kenwood and most DVMs (as mentioned). They are also better at reading THD than Leader or Kenwood. The HP does get all the harmonics, and you certainly can't say that about the newer low cost products. I feel these instruments still have a long, valuable service life, even if they can't read the lowest levels of distortion. At least the answer you get with these is the truth!

-Chris

Does this go for the 330B as well?

Magura :)

john curl said:
If this were an auto thread, you would ask me how to hop up your old Ferrari, or how to hop up your Ford Falcon. :bawling: Like Click and Clack (the mechanics) might say, 'It isn't worth it' Just live with it, or get something else.

John, I sure get it.

Thank you for your thoughtful and timely reply. For example, my buddy
and I used to go cruising as kids. In fact, he used to have an old beater
Ford Falcon, with a 4 banger in it. We modded the hell out that too.

On the side of the road we found and old VW bus cowl. We had
to do something with it, so we cut a hole in the hood of his Falcon.
We took the cowl and rivited it to the hood just the way we had
seen numerous race cars had done at Laguna Seca. We spray
painted the hood and cowl black.

We also modified the exhaust by removing the collector ehaust
bushing where it meets the running going to the muffler.

It was great fun and we learned about working on cars. We didn't get much performance out of it but got a lot of laughs when we
cruised.

Oh yeah, and head aches until we put the little donut back in that
enclosed the exhaust.

Again, thanks John and know that with this post I'll be doing some
12 oz curls with some pretty obscure imported ales too.

cheers,

Sync

SyncTronX said:
Hi ya'll,

Any way to get some better results from a
seen it's better days

BK Precision 10MHz Oscilloscope, Model 1476A?

Channel 1 is starting to go... so I use channel 2
which is on its way behind channel 1 I'm afraid.

I have the model 1477 15Mhz! this model is old, you should replace the electrolytic capacitors and also clean the keys and potentiometers, should then lead to internal calibration with precision instrument.

Anyone got an old Textronix 465b they want to
get rid of?

It will go to a good cause, as I'm a school teacher.

Sync

Go figure, I wonder why Ford has never reissued the Falcon.

In fact now would be the perfect time to com out with a
modern day beater for daily commuting. It can compete
with the new two seater, two wheel thing that GM is taking a look at.
Forget the name of the two wheeler thing though...they are those
things that you stand on with two wheels and it has handle bars
like an older girls bicycle.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi John,
What are you using it for, Sync?
Teaching? Nothing too critical since the beam isn't the sharpest I'm told.
It will go to a good cause, as I'm a school teacher.
Just a guess from his previous comment.

I do thank you for your constructive comments John. What I'd like to see is an attitude shift that allows a positive conversation on this topic.

With a little patience and a look at some newer equipment for clues, some improvement should be possible. Obviously we are not going to see DDS technology used here, or DAC technology for that matter.

Consider the strong points of this older equipment. The sections have good shielding and the switches are positioned in good locations for their function. So right there we are ahead of what less expensive, modern equipment offers. Of course, a new Agilent would pretty much break the bank, and be more difficult to use (punching keys instead of twisting a knob).

Some of you, just don't get it. You can BUY used equipment for less money, time, and effort that it would take to modify an OSCILLOSCOPE for example. This also goes for virtually any HP equipment that is not primarily composed of IC's of the usual kind, and with standard pin-outs.
Understand one thing though. All used equipment needs work by now, not unlike an audio product. So buying an HP 333A to replace one you have that's not working properly right now is a complete waste of money unless you need some special parts.

I do not think some improvement is beyond a careful constructor here at all. As long as people use their heads and work carefully and neatly, things should turn out fine.

I do agree with you that an oscilloscope takes more skill simply because of the bandwidth. Beyond carefully cleaning switches and replacing some capacitors in the power supply, things get dicey very quickly. If anyone does try to work on a 'scope, make sure you leave no fluids in any switches (they must be clean and dry). Anything that gets into a trimmer capacitor will throw everything out.

For oscillators and THD meters, I see far fewer troubles ahead. The same cautions go with regard to 'scopes though.

If this were an auto thread, you would ask me how to hop up your old Ferrari, or how to hop up your Ford Falcon.
It isn't, we are not. The question is put to the membership as a whole, on improving older equipment.

Hi Morten,
Is that 330 a solid state unit? Ahh, nope! That one uses tubes, the older shielded octal types.

This would be a very involved job, done just so you could say you did it. I guess the first step would be to move away from vacuum tubes and go to something solid state. That would mean all the gain stages and power supply to match. After all that work, you would still need a couple moe positions on the range switch.

This piece looks like a restoration project, just for the love of older instruments. A clean and calibration may be all you really need there to use this one.

One thing I can tell you is that something along the lines of a 333A is a better instrument than a newer Leader or Kenwood. Just to put this into perspective for you.

Hi Gaetan,
I'm hoping we have someone who in fact did improve one of these. There are many of them out there (one for Morten as well!). I have a couple I will be restoring , so I may as well make some improvements a the same time, if possible.

This equipment is very popular out there, so I can see many happy DIYers if we can come up with a plan.

-Chris

anatech said:

Is that 330 a solid state unit? Ahh, nope! That one uses tubes, the older shielded octal types.

This piece looks like a restoration project, just for the love of older instruments. A clean and calibration may be all you really need there to use this one.

One thing I can tell you is that something along the lines of a 333A is a better instrument than a newer Leader or Kenwood. Just to put this into perspective for you.

-Chris

Oh, but I am using this instrument (did some cleaning though), so what I was after, is more if the results I get with it, are reasonably respectable, as I have nothing to compare it to.

Most of my bench test equipment is tube based, even my scope.

It was calibrated some 20 hours of on time ago.

In my own Mickey Mouse world, all measurements are relative, but how close am I to the rest of the world with this?

Magura :)

jackinnj said:

Or you might reincarnate this one - what a car! :D :D

800px-1964_Corvair_Monza.jpg

Sync, I am asking YOU, not Anatech, because I have a lead on a TEK 475, that a friend wants to give me. I need more specific info, IF I can get my friend to give it to YOU, instead of me. How is that for, care and concern, Anatech? However, shipping will be a problem in any case, and my friend might resent giving it to you, Sync, without a more complete story.
Personally, I would prefer that he would send it directly to you from Florida, where it is now, but he may resent paying the freight. Are you willing to pay the freight, Sync, if I can swing it?
I might not be able to in any case, it is up to my friend who is also in the audio business. Could he take a tax deduction, for example?
I now have a TEK 485 and a TEK 7633 on my bench, at the moment. I have a TEK 585, and a 7603 scope mainframe (without plug-ins) at my warehouse, but they are either too heavy or incomplete to help you much, and wouldn't be worth it to pack and ship.
Please give me more info, SYNC.

Not there is much to improve on an oscilloscope old, the differences between the oscilloscope are basically functions, some models more sofistificados analog, have numeric indicator on the screen and largest range of frequency, can have better Rise Time it is good to measure the Slew Rate ,but without cursor is difficult knowing the value.
We must think carefully before buying old equipment, if the equipment is over 25 years, the capacitors with the electrolyte are corroded need to be exchanged, multi layer ceramic capacitors usually crack with time. Also has a calibration can not be done at home, this is done technically specialized assistance which must have certificate of measures agency of the country. This service is not cheap, I know some professional audio they spend money with calibration that is done once a year.
Multimeter is more important than an oscilloscope to DIYers, but must be calibrated from time to time also :xeye:

Many worry too much. Used test equipment is cheap, especially broken used test equipment. Just get a broken one for parts. OR retire the old test equipment when it goes really, really, bad. Are you not amateurs? Who needs calibration? You don't, not really.
As far as scopes go, I would use my old EICO scope with a bent needle voltmeter, rather than just a Fluke multimeter on its own. A picture is worth a 100 measurements.

john curl said:
As far as scopes go, I would use my old EICO scope with a bent needle voltmeter, rather than just a Fluke multimeter on its own. A picture is worth a 100 measurements.

Ya'll are bad!

Chris,

Yes keeping it positive is always a good thing. : )
Even though the beam isn't the sharpest, hey wait a minute,
we are helping out today's large urban inner city youth here,
the leaders of tomorrow.

PMA, Jackinjoisey,

It was a positive thing that Chevrolet came out with the
Corvair, it helped Ralph Nadar in his career and saved
countless lives because of needed safety regulations.

As an aside, as a kid, I was a real car enthusiast. I would
show my pop pics of all the cool vehicles, etc. I had my pop
talked into a pony car convertible for his new ride...

...he came home with the 2nd generation convertible alright.
The 2nd generation Corvair convertible in light purple metal flake.
I almost puked and cried for months on end. Mom, never let
him live down his first auto purchase, (please don't ask) and this latest one, well she made him get it painted, a dark forest metal flake green..yeah I heard a lot about Ralph and Corvairs.

I did have my pop almost talked into an engine and brake swap
though...a 327 CI and Disks at all four wheels.

John,

If you can swing the scope from your buddy, that would be
awesome and it would be greatly appreciated.
I'll send you a PM with more info. Shipping shouldn't
be a problem and proper doco for a tax purposes shouldn't
be a problem. Doco has to wait until school starts up again.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.