• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Improvements for the Mikael Abdellah KT88???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hmm

doesn't surprise me! I've had nothing but bad luck with fedex, to the point that I don't do business with companies that only offer Fedex delivery.... If any delivery truck was going to catch fire, it would be theirs, I bet they won't pay a cent to anybody who lost goods...

I'm Sorry

I didn't realize how negative that was when I wrote it, :), I'm writing a book review and drinking Samuel Adams, I blame higher education for my lack of sympathetic tone. I know the feeling of waiting for something cool to come in the mail and having it never arrive so I feel for you.

Come to think of it, I'm sure they'll refund the damages, I mean how is that not their fault!

Re: I'm Sorry

athos56 said:
I didn't realize how negative that was when I wrote it, :), I'm writing a book review and drinking Samuel Adams, I blame higher education for my lack of sympathetic tone. I know the feeling of waiting for something cool to come in the mail and having it never arrive so I feel for you.

Come to think of it, I'm sure they'll refund the damages, I mean how is that not their fault!

Yes, I expect Blair to be refunded, since he is the shipper. However, I bought it from him at a Great price of the minimum bid plus shipping. $330 for the amp was a real steal, IMO. Now, I won't be so lucky the next time around.

Fortunately, he has those monoblocks, I have committed to purchase from him, and I can get them and add the two OP trans, and the chokes, and basically be there.

Re: Re: I'm Sorry

John L said:

Yes, I expect Blair to be refunded, since he is the shipper. However, I bought it from him at a Great price of the minimum bid plus shipping. $330 for the amp was a real steal, IMO. Now, I won't be so lucky the next time around.

Fortunately, he has those monoblocks, I have committed to purchase from him, and I can get them and add the two OP trans, and the chokes, and basically be there.

Hi John,

If you will be purchasing the OP trans, try the James 6123, it is quite a good bang for the buck, one of the best OPT that I have tried.

Of course, the Edcors and the Hammonds will do as well.

Good luck with the monoblocks.

Re: Re: Re: I'm Sorry

alexg said:

Hi John,

If you will be purchasing the OP trans, try the James 6123, it is quite a good bang for the buck, one of the best OPT that I have tried.

Alex, where do I go to get them, and do they have a price listing?

I am also considering Transcender transformers too.

By the way, here is what they currently look like.

9863_1.JPG

9c4b_1.JPG

Re: Re: Re: I'm Sorry

alexg said:

Hi John,

I used the James 6123H on my monoblocks and they are excellent-sounding. They look great also. I purchased mine from Euphonia Audio but they are closing down and aren't taking orders anymore.

It would be nice to find a reliable source for James trafos. I think this winter I finally build a PP KT88 stereo amp and I'd like to consider James PP trafos.

Put a Magnequest BP-16ni grid choke in place ot the grid leak resistor into the 6550.

also a IXYS 10M45s CCS for the input tube.

Instead of a bias resistor / capacitor or LED diode on thecathode of the input tube, I like a 9v NMHI battery.

I also think an LCCL power supply sounds better than a CLCL. You may need some extra zotz in the P.T. Play around with Duncans PSUD II to home in on the values you'll need to get the required voltages

results?? very nice!

JD

John L said:

I note that their price is not posted. Also, I wonder how much the S/H would be to the US? I suspect that will be the biggest deciding factor.

I paid about 235 EUR total for the transformers, a couple of Jensen caps and shipping to Norway, so it's not too bad. You'll have to email them for current price/shipping quotes though.

I would like to ask a question regarding the Mikael KT88 design as I am going to build one soon....

May I know anyone have tried using SS rectifiers for the B+ ?
I am wondering if we use SS rectifiers, then the power trans will be simpler and cheaper.

I would appreciate if anyone can advise on this issue.
Thanks!

Hi,
I am in the process of building this amp and have been discussing it with some of you on another thread. i was wondering about subbing the resistor for the CCS. I have several LM317HV's on hand and was wondering what the best value would be for the current setting resistor on the LM might be. Also, with this stragegy, does one reccommend keeping the bypass cap in place?
Thanks,
Jeff

I would like to ask a question regarding the Mikael KT88 design as I am going to build one soon....

May I know anyone have tried using SS rectifiers for the B+ ?
I am wondering if we use SS rectifiers, then the power trans will be simpler and cheaper.

I would appreciate if anyone can advise on this issue.
Thanks!

I've built this SET and am proud of it!
If you wish to drop by for a listen, call 65 9816 4722.

Cheers!

Zekk

Source for James 6123 OPT

In a few posts back somebody asked where a good source for the James OPT would be. I know it has beeen some time since that post but for anybody viewing now check out HiFi DIY Site - VT4C/211 Power Triode . They have the James 6123 for $200 a pair. That is the best price I have found anywhere. Problem is shipping for their air frieght is high. Best to put a group buy together for a 10-20kg shipment ($100-140). That is a pretty big shipment. Anyways, I order from them frequently so if you are ever interested in splitting some shipping costs for a group buy, drop me a line. I probablt put an order in every 45 days or so.
Jeff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.