• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Improvements for the Mikael Abdellah KT88???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I built that amp.

If you use motor run capacitors (ASC preferably) on the power supply, it sounds way better than the Nichicon electrolytic.

I omitted the 5H choke on the LC filter going to the 6n1p and replaced it with a 100R resistor (on some 6n1p, am getting oscillations and replacing the 5H with a resistor cured the problem).

I also bypassed all the cathode bypass electrolytic capacitors with polypropylene, and it seemed to help a bit.

Another change that I did which I did not submit at Gio's site is I replaced the cathode resistor of the 6n1p with an LM317 current sink, you can also try using two red leds to bias the 6n1p (both seems to sound better than the 1K resistor).

I have not updated the schematic at Gio's site, with the tweaks I did.

Look for Sherman and porkchop's thread on this forum, they described how they built this amp and the tweaks they did.

HTH,

AlexG
Sherman,

Quick question about replacing the 5H choke with a 100k resistor. What watt resistor should be placed here and how do you calculate that?

Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.