Imperial vs Metric software

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Collo said:
I too, think in mm or metres but not cm. The cm just doesn't seem to be of much use, at least for building speakers.

cm is indisposible for building speakers. a cm^3 is a milli-litre, so anytime i'm designing a speaker to a metric volume i'll use cm.

I tend to rough out a design in inches or cm, prep it for Chris in mm, and post working drawings in inches & mm.

When we learned metric in school the dimesions used most were cm & metres -- also cm seems to be an official government unit, ie on my driver's licence i am 178 cm tall.

dave

Why does anybody say that cm are not metric?

Why are people against cm?

cm = centi metre. A metre is part of the metric/SI system of units:

http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/units.html

Centi is the prefix for 1/100th, also part of the metric/SI system:

http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/prefixes.html

The above website is chosen at random - Google for metric system and pick anything and it will tell you the same information.

How can anybody say that cm is not metric?

Chris.

Hi,
I am not against cm, the scientists need it for their SI system.

The metric system adopted by the UK is based on the metre and uses multipliers and divisors in multiples of 1000. Very similar ( maybe identical) to the multipliers/divisors used in electronic component values.

If the UK wants to be genuinely metric then we should stick to the 10^+-3 rule.

What we need to do is teach our kids properly so that they know what the units mean and how to convert correctly between them.

My dad (from Eastern Europe) even refers to decametres, presumably adopted because it happens to match a hand width just like the cubit matched the thumb.

BTW Pink, what is a hogshead?

Hi Indm,
Thanks for the correction.
I wonder if I misheard him or misinterpreted the size he was referring to.

See how moving away from metric causes confusion.
Now I will have to go and see dad to eak out of him just what he did mean.
He has some memory, puts me to shame. He came up with a photo pre 1940 and was able to name all 31 men from his village that appeared and tell a story about many of them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.