ImPasse Preamplifier

ok, I understand now what you mean :)

In this case, perhaps we should do something like this on the board. In the middle of the input transformers, create an earth connection by using a really large ring on the PCB that could accommodate a #6 screw or something. This could be connected to the case via a standoff. Then, instead of routing the RF ground to the signal ground, as Jack did on the board (the center of the ceramic caps under the 6SN7, as well as the shield(s) on the input transformers), these would route back to this connection. Also, the XLR shields would connect here conceivably. Then add the two diodes and capacitor per the schematic, linking this node to the signal ground.

Essentially, the shield of the transformer will become a star ground point for these connections bypassed to signal ground on the PCB itself.

Re: Regulator

BDP said:
Any news on a regulator board in the near future.

BDP

I still have a bunch of LastPas Regulator boards which I have used in the past -- search on DIYADUIO -- it's a very quiet regulator, but this first generation of lead-free zener diodes which are all you can get seem prone to failure (and when zeners fail, they fail as a short.)

I have a Maida which works OK, but Giame's MOSFET version seems to be more stable vs temperature.

Anyone who asks is free to get a drawing of the temperature compensated Maida regulator.