I'm throwing in the towel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys, I came across a nice repairable pair of Klipsch KLF-30's. I fixed up the loose baffles and backs and will be sticking with them. They are far superior to anything I have ever built. Also the first cabinets I've ever heard that don't sound like cabinets. So I guess my DIY days are over. :eek:

I can't beat this sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xclt4dnc-nc&feature=youtu.be

Attachments

• Klipsch KLF 30 HT setup.jpg
    Klipsch KLF 30 HT setup.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 615
Last edited:
If you are totally happy with these speakers, excellent. Find another hobby. As speakers are 99% of the system performance, unless you are using a Radio Shack 2W kit amp, you are not going to gain much buying electronics. Differences between good amplifiers are very subtle and probably not clear at this level of speaker. Spend your money on music.

It took me 30 years of learning to build speakers better than I can buy. I hope I live long enough to build great ones.

As tvrgeek said, if you're happy with the sound, that's great.

If you think that any commercial multiway XO can't be improved upon - if only by upgrading certain parts, that's great too, although don't expect consensus on that in a DIY forum.

And also don't be surprised to find many members of these fora to be willing to debate the "differences between good amps being very subtle and probably not clear at this level of speaker" comment - a gauntlet thrown ?;)

In any case, do drop us an occasional post card from the dark-side :D

Don't kid yourself. The entire system, and the synergy, are important.

dave
So right Dave, as a whole the systems performance is in the top 10 percentile. Closer than I have ever heard in my house. I have read many a story about people picking these things up cheap because the hot melt failed on the backs and baffles. I installed some oak strips all the way around both sides and siliconed and glued them in. Then I siliconed and screwed the backs and baffles on and wah-lah. It was a little work but the payout was worth it.

Don't worry Chris, I'll still be lurking around here checking out what everybody is up to. :)

Attachments

• KLF30Repair.jpg
    KLF30Repair.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 277
  • KLF30reairBaffle.jpg
    KLF30reairBaffle.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:
Don't kid yourself. The entire system, and the synergy, are important.

dave

Yea, the other 1%. Come on now, for someone who is so good at improving speakers...

Sure, in my systems I can tell the difference in amps, DAC's etc, but if I actually want to improve my system, the money goes to speakers. I don't care how much has already been spent on speakers, they are still the weakest link, price no object. When speakers no longer generate 100 times the distortion of the entire rest of the chain, I may change my view. In the mean time, I will try and make each new set of speakers better than the last.

I don't care how much has already been spent on speakers, they are still the weakest link, price no object. When speakers no longer generate 100 times the distortion of the entire rest of the chain, I may change my view. In the mean time, I will try and make each new set of speakers better than the last.
I'm sorry, that's a nonsense. In the bass region, yes, lots of harmonic distortion - but in the key mid-range where all the music is, any reasonable speaker driver can do a good enough job. Speakers always sound different because the electronics driving them to a major degree are impacted by the differing current needs of the speakers - highlights weaknesses in the electronics part of the chain. I've had situations where two totally different speakers were used for the left, and the right channel - and subjectively this worked without any problems, people who weren't aware what was happening didn't pick it ...

The Klipsch thing is an excellent way of achieving high quality sound - a bit of tweaking should result in very good, live levels listening.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Yea, the other 1%. Come on now, for someone who is so good at improving speakers...

Sure, in my systems I can tell the difference in amps, DAC's etc, but if I actually want to improve my system, the money goes to speakers. I don't care how much has already been spent on speakers, they are still the weakest link, price no object. When speakers no longer generate 100 times the distortion of the entire rest of the chain, I may change my view. In the mean time, I will try and make each new set of speakers better than the last.

We'll have to agree to disagree... many is the times i have significantly improved a system with better stuff in front of the speaker.

The kinds of distortion generated by amps is typically of a different nature than speakers and all too often much more audiable at very low levels than much higher levels generated by speakers.

That we don't yet really understand or know how to measure the distortions that matters to the ear/brain doesn't help in sorting it out.

dave

cradeldude,

You know we connect on another forum and I have enjoyed your ventures into Altec and am happy you spend time here, but...

Not only are you wrong about having found your nirvana but...

You are closing the door on future enlightenment on the diy side?

Doesn't sound like the cradeldorf I know. You like the Klipsch units but...

I think you need to come over to Cal's place for a week.

Cheers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.