I'm sorry, but the amp needs a zobel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Peter K said:

There is something: else some months ago I made some new cables speaker based on TNT-Audio suggestions to use CAT5 twistedpair. However I used wirewrap wire that I twisted and twisted and twisted. The result was sounding awfull! No bass, no middle, infact it sounded like nothing. With the zobel I can use the DIY cable and it sounds great, even after a day.

You probably have a power amp which is more sensitive to capacitive cables.

Your ww cable may sound even better than TNT cat5 project because it's not really twisted, as other projects using such cables are. On the TNT project you twist or braid the cat5 entire cable, not the wires inside.

But all articles involving cat5 speaker cables mention the fact that they may prove capacitive on some amps, and the cure is to use a zobel.

Carlos

carlmart said:

But all articles involving cat5 speaker cables mention the fact that they may prove capacitive on some amps, and the cure is to use a zobel.
Carlos

Yes you are right, it is indeed mentioned in the articles.

The first tests that I made with a ww cable was a short cable not made very carefully, this sounded quit good. Probably because of a low capacitance (short cable quickly made). The new cables were 2,5 meter in which I twisted a total of 12 wires. The twist is very tight so the capacitance must be a lot higher. I already suspected that the capacitance was the problem, only did not know how to fix it.

I am glad I can finaly use the DIY ww cable.

Peter K.

Peter, high capacitance cables can't be used with these chips without a zobel.
The series resistors also help here.
The same goes for Naim amps, they sell their cables and don't recommend other ones. You can even loose warranty by using other cables.

The arrangement I posted made a big improvement with my Kimber 4TC cables. They are mid/high capacitance.
The cable and the speakers are the main factor here.
I'm sure that my amps now are much less picky with cables/speakers, in a word, more "universal".
Making an amp that only goes with a restricted type of cables and/or speakers didn't make sense to me.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.