• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Illegitimate Son of Pensil - Alpair 10.2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sony HT amp. I have an AMC integrated in the back. Will hook it up soon.

I have included a picture and was wondering what may be happening with my room that is throwing the sound-stage to the left. I can sit centered in front of speakers and music has good sound-stage, but is shifted left. Is it the couch on the right or space between left speaker and entertainment center? I know room interaction is technical and i can only do so much. Tried lifting speakers off the ground to simulate feet to see if it would reinforce bass with a little different floor bounce

Please understand they sound great, just trying to dial them in. I have a feeling that when all is said and done they will be phenomenal.

Wow, they're beautiful!
I have the same problem with the soundstage as you have, but it's is shifted to the right. That's because to the right there's a corner and to the left there's there door to my room. So nothing i can do about it. But i didn't see you had any corners, and that bookshelf or whatever it was to the right shouldn't affect it i think.

Rullknuffs,
You nailed it. I have a wall to the left and open room to the right. Wow! best teacher is always personal experience in combination with others knowledge and experience. Just learned my first lesson on room interaction. Will raising speakers off floor hurt or help bass? Floor bounce? Within a week or two they will be veneered in curly cherry!

Rullknuffs,
You nailed it. I have a wall to the left and open room to the right. Wow! best teacher is always personal experience in combination with others knowledge and experience. Just learned my first lesson on room interaction. Will raising speakers off floor hurt or help bass? Floor bounce? Within a week or two they will be veneered in curly cherry!

I'm not sure. All i know is that a corner kills my dream :S

FWIW, it's been my experience that symmetry of speaker placement in relation to corners (or lack thereof) is very helpful, as well as toe-in to reduce imbalance from early first reflections from untreated side wall(s)

Another nifty trick is diagonal placement that I gleaned from this interesting article. Definitely worth a try if you have the floor space to play with.

DECWARE - Article about Setting up a Listening Room without Treatments

So I have had the Pensil 10.2 operational for a couple of days. They have been hooked up to a sony HT theater amp. I know my system is not very good, but it will have to do until I get my amp and preamp built. That being said, I am very impressed with the performance so far. Out of curiosity, I took them to my brothers house and hooked them up to his tube amp and Thorens phono. WOW! I mean Holy $!@% WOW. I new that my system was not allowing me to truly enjoy these drivers, but I had no idea. My brother all but admitted that they did a lot of things better than his floorstanding Quads. The bas, which had been thin and muddy, was deep and a little bloomy. After hearing his system, 1.5lbs of stuffing vs the .75lbs i currently have is absolutely necessary to tighten up the bass. Did I say WOW already? All I can do is sum up by saying WOW. How is that for an intelligent review!

I take it that means you like them. :D

I guess they will have to do. Interesting side note. We played just a small sampl of some orchestral music. I have never seen a driver dance like this thing did. It reminded me just how dense that type of music is. I was afraid to turn it up because of the excursion. Is the 4mm recommended max just one way. I don't want to push these things too hard and was surprised at how different the driver reacted vs other music.

Scott,
Considering the amount of time it will take to implement, do you think the braces are worthwhile? Will I hear a difference? Not trying to be critical, just looking for an opinion.

Also, how does the brace kill unwanted standing waves and still pass the quarter wave. Is it all based on the slightly off center position?

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Scott,
Considering the amount of time it will take to implement, do you think the braces are worthwhile? Will I hear a difference? Not trying to be critical, just looking for an opinion.

IMPO the holey driver brace is very important. It sucks/shares driver energy away from the weakest & most audible panel with the back panel (the strongest & least audible. So it (at a minimum) doubles the available damping for driver mechanical energy & halves the energy going into the baffle. It improves downward dynamic range. You might not hear it with your current kit, but you would on your brothers (?) or your new kit.

Also, how does the brace kill unwanted standing waves and still pass the quarter wave. Is it all based on the slightly off center position?

It doesn't kill standing waves, it helps spread out & reduce side-to side standing waves.

The useful quarter wave standing wave does not even see the brace due to its orientation in the same direction as that standing wave. Side-to-side, back-to-front BAD, bottom-to-top GOOD.

dave

Hmm. Just to point out the Pencils are a TL variation, so by nature are more heavily damped than a BR. Guideline densities for the intended material are provided in the plans with the object of allowing people to easily tailor to taste (I seem to remember saying this a few times before ;) ). There is also a largely incorrect statement in the above link implying dramatic reductions in the SoS as it passes through a fibrous tangle in a TL/ labyrinth. That is not the case; while reductions exist, they are rarely especially dramatic. Fb on the Pencil 12 for e.g. drops the grand total of about 2Hz.

On the subject of the bracing, yes, it's worth doing if you can.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.