• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Illegitimate Son of Pensil - Alpair 10.2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Is the functional bandwidth of the cabinet different than that of the driver?

Go back & reread post 29.

Let's consider that the energy to excite a resonance is inversly proportional to the 4th power of the frequency.

Let's assume that a typical MDF panel resonantes at 300 Hz. Now consider how much less likely a resonance is to be excited if we can push the panel resonance up to 1000 Hz.

(1/300^4)/(1/1000^4) = 123 times less likely. In a full range speaker one we have energy into the cabinet all the way up, but one can arbitrarily pick a point using the "less likely to get excited" criterion to decide where the functional bandwidth of the cabinet extends.

The chart shows relative likelihood of exciting a resonance at that frequency. Below ~300 Hz, the 4th order supposition breaks down

dave

Attachments

• liklihood_resonance_excite.gif
    liklihood_resonance_excite.gif
    16.9 KB · Views: 375
Thank you Dave and Scott for the lessons. I know its gets repetitive. I am cutting the wood for the enclosures as I type. Hope to report back soon with picks, comments and 10 fingers.

Side note: The driver needs to be recessed about 3/8" leaving only 3/8". Do I need to provide more support for driver?

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Side note: The driver needs to be recessed about 3/8" leaving only 3/8". Do I need to provide more support for driver?

We always add a driver brace, so the lack of infringement on the back-side of the driver is a bonus (we also champher the back side to open it up even more). Mounting the driver on the backside of an aluminum plate/subbaffle 3-4mm thick (and champhered on the front), would take that to extremes.

dave

Thank you Dave and Scott for the lessons. I know its gets repetitive. I am cutting the wood for the enclosures as I type. Hope to report back soon with picks, comments and 10 fingers.

These do look so yummy when rebated for flush mounting, but the thick resin composite mounting flange does somewhat complicate things.

So yes, since I've been quite happy with the sonic results of a well braced 15mm BB ply cabinet, I usually laminate a small plate of 9mm material on the rear side of cut-outs. Of course one could always machine same in 3mm aluminum and tap for machine screws for the driver mount - but that'd be a bit obsessive, doncha think?

edit: now that's freaky - Dave's reply above posted while typing the above an answering the phone

cheers

Scott,
Do you have the modeled response for the 10.2 like you do for the 12? Also, do you agree with Dave that relieving the FR of its low end repsonsibilities will improve its mid and high frequencies?

Provided you truly relieve the heavy lifting with HP filter and direct amplification of the wide-band driver, you will also appreciate substantially reduced excursion, distortion and power compression, and increased dynamic headroom / max SPLs. This is as true with "full-range" drivers as with more conventional active multi-way systems with W/M/T.

The trick is deciding where to XO, and the number and location(s) of woofer(s). Note that while individual room dimensions/shape will determine the exact transition point, at frequencies often chosen for "subs" (why do I hate that word?) ,the optimal position of LF drivers may not necessary be common with those for the upper portion of bandwidth.

Provided you truly relieve the heavy lifting with HP filter and direct amplification of the wide-band driver, you will also appreciate substantially reduced excursion, distortion and power compression, and increased dynamic headroom / max SPLs. This is as true with "full-range" drivers as with more conventional active multi-way systems with W/M/T.

The trick is deciding where to XO, and the number and location(s) of woofer(s). Note that while individual room dimensions/shape will determine the exact transition point, at frequencies often chosen for "subs" (why do I hate that word?) ,the optimal position of LF drivers may not necessary be common with those for the upper portion of bandwidth.

My eventual woofer addition will be in a FAST type speaker. My hope and current plan is to match the A10.2 with two CA22RNX woofers(I have one pair already). Pass Aleph J monos driving the A10.2 and mono F4's driving woofers. I don't think I could convince the wife about having subs placed strategically though-out the living area unless they could be built into current furniture. I am gearing more towards stereo over HT anyway.

Routed out the speaker holes and definitely feel like some added bracing is necessary. I have left over 3/4", but feel like this is big enough that it could affect cabinet response. I also have 1/4" plexiglass, but it is not very stiff. Don't want to buy 3/8 just for backing and not real sure it would be good for bracing. ANy comments. ChrisB, have you worked with raw veneer before? found some very nice stuff, but it is raw and thinner than I am used to.

Drivers are installed now. Just testing them out. Have to add stuffing and braces. One problem, I cant find the woofers. Sounds great Scott and Mark and I am listening to my HT amp. Can't wait to hear them with some Pass AJ's. Ordering either figured cherry or figured Anigre to finish them in. Will have more pics soon. Side note, they reveal the source! Pandora sounds like crap. CD's=wonderful

Attachments

• DSC_0055.JPG
    DSC_0055.JPG
    772.6 KB · Views: 328
Last edited:
Buzz:

yes, it is quite interesting how revealing a simple single driver system can be!

my wife's upstairs "background" system with Tubelab Simple PP/EL84 and dual EL70 normally runs on iTunes/Airplay>AEX. Even running in standard Redbook resolution, when I switch the DAC's Toslink input from the wireless receiver to the laptop's direct connection, the improvement is substantial

regarding veneers - all of my veneer work on speaker enclosures over the past 10yrs has been cheating with (paper)thin paper backed or 2-ply (wood backed) materials and the iron-on yellow glue method, so I probably can't help much with your questions on "real" veneers - not doubt there are others here or at the construction forum more expert than I in that area

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.