Ignore this its a moment of stupidity!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
I was sitting listening to the HIFI,

Looking at an EM81..:D as you do!

Then the thought errr..is it a particle or a wave..:D

Well dumber and dumber...well the heater heats the tube and electrons are emitted then they go through a grid or two and hit the anode.
(mini double slit experiment)

Well what do you think..is it a particle or a wave inside the electron cloud or stream? never mind..:confused:..:D
Is it a particle until it goes through the grid..then what? back to a particle..LOL

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Noise is the result of mental debate over cause. When we don't know, we both see and hear noise. Heisenberg said this eloquently with the Uncertainty equation. He who be doth uncertain, can expect an irreducible amount of noise. Tubes' electrons, if they exist at all are such confusing, uncertain entities. The less of them we believe to be acting, the more uncertain they get. Thus, the tubes record (not create) more noise, which our clever circuits then amplify to our annoyance. It is considered sterling to ameliorate both uncertainty and its proxy audible noise, by the expedient of self-medication. I recommend scotch above other medications, as it tastes better than average, and isn't too expensive, compared to Black Cat Super oil-and-silver mica caps. We've dealt with uncertainty / noise. But of course there is doubt about its causes. And doubt begets fear.

Thus, we have given a logical derivation for FUD. FUD = fear from doubt times uncertainty. All of which can be resolved through self-medication. The only problem is that alcoholic medications make one deaf, as you may have experienced at any lively Irish bar on a Friday night or on pay day.

GoatGuy

... electrons, if they exist at all are such confusing, uncertain entities. The less of them we believe to be acting, the more uncertain they get....GoatGuy

I read that Richard Feynman was once pondering why all the electrons in the universe appear to be identical. The idea occurred to him that there might actually be only one electron and it is busy popping in and out of the space-time continuum to do the job of all the apparent electrons. I think he quickly abandoned the idea because the maths didn't work out.

Richard Feynman's most (to me) impressive moment of thought provoking self-debate was when he asked, “so … why is it that in a mirror, writing is backwards, but people are not upside down?”

The more you think on that, the more twisted it gets. Whatever notion of symmetry you have, it takes some special wiring "in the brain" to have a left-right symmetry which is not mirror conserved, but an up-down symmetry which is conserved. I recommend that you start thinking on this a bit every day. In a year … you'll be using it as your favorite Feynman moment. And … sadly … almost no one will track with you when you trot it forth.

So simple, yet so … vexing.

GoatGuy

Noise is the result of mental debate over cause. When we don't know, we both see and hear noise. Heisenberg said this eloquently with the Uncertainty equation. He who be doth uncertain, can expect an irreducible amount of noise. Tubes' electrons, if they exist at all are such confusing, uncertain entities. The less of them we believe to be acting, the more uncertain they get. Thus, the tubes record (not create) more noise, which our clever circuits then amplify to our annoyance. It is considered sterling to ameliorate both uncertainty and its proxy audible noise, by the expedient of self-medication. I recommend scotch above other medications, as it tastes better than average, and isn't too expensive, compared to Black Cat Super oil-and-silver mica caps. We've dealt with uncertainty / noise. But of course there is doubt about its causes. And doubt begets fear.

Thus, we have given a logical derivation for FUD. FUD = fear from doubt times uncertainty. All of which can be resolved through self-medication. The only problem is that alcoholic medications make one deaf, as you may have experienced at any lively Irish bar on a Friday night or on pay day.

GoatGuy

How do you Plus 10 that? Can I click somewhere?

Well what do you think..is it a particle or a wave inside the electron cloud or stream? never mind..:confused:..:D
Is it a particle until it goes through the grid..then what? back to a particle..LOL

Regards
M. Gregg

Let's not confuse the properies of photons with those of electrons. Photons produce wavelike effects from above visible light down into the radio spectrum.
Richard Feynman's most (to me) impressive moment of thought provoking self-debate was when he asked, “so … why is it that in a mirror, writing is backwards, but people are not upside down?”

So simple, yet so … vexing.

GoatGuy

A film negative is backwards, too. Perspective is not mysterious. I can illustrate why writing seen in a mirror is not always backwards... Write something on a transparent medium like glass and then hold it out in front of you to read it. It's correct. If you then look in the mirror you will see the words are still in correct orientation. 20

Last edited:
Isn't the properties of being wavelike or particle like dependent on whether there is an interaction like observation?

Observation is not interaction. But you are touching on a point that should be considered. There exists a reality apart from human perception. It exists without our definition. Our reality is the 1st derivative of it, filtered by our senses and our instruments, perfect or imperfect. 20

GoatGuy said:
It seems like a paradox. Then you remember that to look at some writing in a mirror you first have to rotate it by 180 degrees (so it faces the mirror instead of facing you) - and most people do this rotation around a vertical axis. That is when it turns backwards. You could, instead, rotate it about a horizontal axis and then it would appear upside down. So it is not the mirror which reverses things, but the people preparing something to be viewed in a mirror.

It seems like a paradox. Then you remember that to look at some writing in a mirror you first have to rotate it by 180 degrees (so it faces the mirror instead of facing you) - and most people do this rotation around a vertical axis. That is when it turns backwards. You could, instead, rotate it about a horizontal axis and then it would appear upside down. So it is not the mirror which reverses things, but the people preparing something to be viewed in a mirror.
:up:

Another excellent example of the often ignored fact that to look is not the same as to see.

FWIW I'm a Photographer with an unhealthy appetite for obsolete cameras, and in some very ancient ones, which have a mirror viewer which you look down into from above the camera, people (and everything else) appear upside down, go figure :eek: .

Which is explained because instead of twisting reality for observation around a vertical axis like on DF96 example above (which switches right for left) , we are using a horizontal axis (parallel to the horizont) which switches top for bottom .

The Roman Catholic church used to believe (in Galileo's time) that our eyes were like flashlights and when we closed them the light from our eyes was blocked and so therefore the scene became dark.

I'm not sure how they got on with explaining how lamps at night worked but I'm sure they had a doozy explaining the sun.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_affair

My dear Kepler, I wish that we might laugh at the remarkable stupidity of the common herd. What do you have to say about the principal philosophers of this academy who are filled with the stubbornness of an asp and do not want to look at either the planets, the moon or the telescope, even though I have freely and deliberately offered them the opportunity a thousand times? Truly, just as the asp stops its ears, so do these philosophers shut their eyes to the light of truth.

The reason why I bring this to the light, so to speak, is because I don't believe that we have evolved much further beyond this. Even today I still see stubborn-ness when evidence is presented and a lack of understanding of topics which must be understood to proceed further with the correct and logical reasoning process of Science.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Richard Feynman's most (to me) impressive moment of thought provoking self-debate was when he asked,
“so … why is it that in a mirror, writing is backwards, but people are not upside down?”
The more you think on that, the more twisted it gets. Whatever notion of symmetry you have, it takes some
special wiring "in the brain" to have a left-right symmetry which is not mirror conserved, but an up-down symmetry which is conserved.

A mirror reverses back to front. It seems to reverse left and right to us because our eyes are symmetric about our vertical axis.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.