If you think Class D is not HiFi...you are fool

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
carlosfm said:
Long and unshielded (or with a weak shield) cables are a good antenna, they will capture interferences and noises very easily, even more so when unterminated.
You change this for a cable with a good shield, and connect it as semi-balanced.
Of course it picks much less noise.

Now I'm asking, as I asked some pages ago: what's this have to do with microphonics?:confused:
Nothing.
I don't get it.

Actually the original were also unbalanced outs connected "floating" to the diff inputs of the UCD, any attempt to ground was horrendous, I'm not shy to say the level of hiss connected this way was lower than with my mic cable connected fully balanced, but it is 28' long. I left the shield disconnected at the source.

You're right that has nothing do with microphonics?

Cheers

Should we not strive to dispel such foolishness at every oppertunity, or perhaps there's a higher interest in capitalizing upon it.

I agree 100% but let's not throw the baby out with the bath water! I listen to anybody who talks in shades of grey, rather than in black and white! Hence not all audiophile cables are wonderful and not all of them are rubbish!

Nobody is more sceptical than me, one reason why my hi-fi cost me hundreds of pounds rather than thousands. But if I hear something with my own ears, I know if it works or not!

I do plug the Vertex technology because I understand it, and where it comes from. It's not an exaggeration to say that people's lives could depend on this technology and it was developed for matters far more serious than hi-fi cabling! ;)

Again, I agree about the obsene profit margins on some products. But the Vertex cables are hand-built (they have to be) although not by virgins! ;)

That's alright Nuuk, just don't plug any cable floor isolators and we'll be OK :) I think such cables will always be out of my range though. I'd think the reported cost of your system excludes donations when you plug such a cable? Perhaps we could say "under a few thousand" instead of ten's of thousands?

Interestingly not all that long ago I was being paid 12 an hour to make up certain industrial cables that sold for 600. Two hours worth of my labor and maybe 50$ worth of material. They too were "hand made".

Carlos the only meaningful difference between cables with respect to microphonics as far as I know is that of the insulation used, but with a good source it's a non issue either way was my point.

Anyway I'd still love to try better interconnects but at the cost even the wire for it seems to go for... it's not going to happen, and then you have the ultimate fear that what they're selling is BS, example, cardas with their golden ratio constant Q bla bla bla... can't even buy it without going through at least three two middle men.

So this radio shack junk is looking OK. When I cut it to a six foot length, heaven :)

I should make it quite clear that I am not trying to sell the Vertex cables. I doubt very much that the folks who visit this forum buy much in the way of cables anyway. I would guess that the vast majority of us take the DIY route!

I just wanted to make the point that there is still much about the workings of hi-fi that we still don't understand. Unfortunately, that is one reason that the snake-oil pedlars get away with it! But we should also keep our minds open and not dismiss something 'out-of-hand'. ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.