I want these 12" field coil on ebay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How's this for over the top descriptions:

'The latest EX series of drive units will completely transform all existing Lowther Loudspeaker Systems. Every Lowther Owner may now enjoy the greatly superior sound reproduction qualities which only the 'EX' drivers are capable of.
Each model in the 'EX' range incorporates an acoustic chamber precisely tuned for optimum performance. Cone assemblies are pressure balanced between the acoustic chamber at the rear and a phasing equalizer fitted to the front. No unwanted oscillations of the speech coil occur. Only bass frequencies will pass through the acoustic chamber, so avoiding bass/mid-range confusion, often a cause of coloration.
Using the latest method of construction, the inner cone is now isolated from the outer. This is not readily visible, but what is noticeable is that the rim of the inner cone is terminated with a reverse roll. Where once sound frequencies cancelled each other and information was lost, now all that information is retrieved and can be enjoyed. Where once sound frequencies were reinforced by the two cones working in unison at certain frequencies, now there is no over-forward sound reproduced. The frequency range is so smooth, and so much more detail from the recorded source is reproduced, that an entirely new level of listening experience will be enjoyed.
The latest 'state of the art' rare earth magnet technology is employed to enable complete control of the diaphragm throughout the entire audible range. This results in maximum information being extracted from the recorded source whilst delivering a very smooth response at all frequencies.
The 'EX' series Drive Units are the best full range drive units ever produced. They are designed to fit into every Lowther cabinet design, both past and present, without any modification being necessary. These revolutionary drive units are a must for all Lowther owners. Everyone can now enjoy an entirely new experience of listening pleasure.'

My experience was:
'The 'EX' series Drive Units exhibit the worst upper midrange breakup of any full range drive unit ever produced'

and

The 'EX' series Drive Units have the farthest-from-flat response of any full range drive unit ever produced'.

Oh and go ahead and run them with 100 watts (even at 1khz) I dare ya!
Tehe I couldn't resist.

Last edited:
Oh LA you are a bigger buzzkill than Buzz Killington, lol.

I'm not 100% sure I can agree that the problem and potential solutions differ completely driver to driver as ALL 8" paper FR drivers I have heard have had a nasty sound in the 1-4khz area although in differing degrees and frequencies within that band.

But you have to let the younguns go at it and fail, haha. Can't tell 'em a thing.:D

I think about changing my nick ... sounds good "Buzz Killington" :D

You really want to hear my opinion ? Will not please you:

Eight inches diameter is too big for fullrange. To achieve a balanced
presence region seems fairly difficult with drivers > 4" .

If you have to displace air, let the subwork to someone with more
cone area or use more of the small ones.

How's this for over the top descriptions:

'The latest EX series of drive units will completely transform all existing Lowther Loudspeaker Systems. Every Lowther Owner may now enjoy the greatly superior sound reproduction qualities which only the 'EX' drivers are capable of.
Each model in the 'EX' range incorporates an acoustic chamber precisely tuned for optimum performance. Cone assemblies are pressure balanced between the acoustic chamber at the rear and a phasing equalizer fitted to the front. No unwanted oscillations of the speech coil occur. Only bass frequencies will pass through the acoustic chamber, so avoiding bass/mid-range confusion, often a cause of coloration.
Using the latest method of construction, the inner cone is now isolated from the outer. This is not readily visible, but what is noticeable is that the rim of the inner cone is terminated with a reverse roll. Where once sound frequencies cancelled each other and information was lost, now all that information is retrieved and can be enjoyed. Where once sound frequencies were reinforced by the two cones working in unison at certain frequencies, now there is no over-forward sound reproduced. The frequency range is so smooth, and so much more detail from the recorded source is reproduced, that an entirely new level of listening experience will be enjoyed.
The latest 'state of the art' rare earth magnet technology is employed to enable complete control of the diaphragm throughout the entire audible range. This results in maximum information being extracted from the recorded source whilst delivering a very smooth response at all frequencies.
The 'EX' series Drive Units are the best full range drive units ever produced. They are designed to fit into every Lowther cabinet design, both past and present, without any modification being necessary. These revolutionary drive units are a must for all Lowther owners. Everyone can now enjoy an entirely new experience of listening pleasure.'

My experience was:
'The 'EX' series Drive Units exhibit the worst upper midrange breakup of any full range drive unit ever produced'

and

The 'EX' series Drive Units have the farthest-from-flat response of any full range drive unit ever produced'.

Oh and go ahead and run them with 100 watts (even at 1khz) I dare ya!
Tehe I couldn't resist.

Sounds similar to my experience with the DX-3's. :eek:

But, at least with the Lowthers there is plenty of opinion out there on how to use them and the various ways they can be worked with. For these...... nothing.......except the "poseur" photo. :smash:

Now I'm thinking Inclined, that you should take one for the team and buy a pair so we'll know how good they are. :D

this is not meant to be moaning but when paying a thousand bucks
for a pair of drivers i cannot listen to ...
I would at least like to have a wide spread impedance plot to see,
whether the truly impressive constructive details lead to the desired result.

I did many mods on drivers including self built cones,
dampening coatings, stiffening members, making the cone irregular by
applying different materials, slots filled with whatever ...

One is secure to me: You cannot cannot cannot judge a driver by its looks.

Even if it is full of visually (and with some knowledge of acoustic facts)
sense making constructive detail:
The 200$ driver beside having absolutely none eye catching detail
could be simply better. A chance for listening or at least some reference
would be good in that price region ...

The making of the voice coil feeds concerning material and guiding
looks everything but inspiring confidence to me, sorry.

Палячин страшен! :d:d:d

Sounds similar to my experience with the DX-3's. :eek:

But, at least with the Lowthers there is plenty of opinion out there on how to use them and the various ways they can be worked with. For these...... nothing.......except the "poseur" photo. :smash:

Now I'm thinking Inclined, that you should take one for the team and buy a pair so we'll know how good they are. :D

Rick, were you unhappy with the DX3s? Those were the half-broken ones that I fixed up and was using for a while and I was very happy with them...admittedly they got a bit "shouty", for lack of a better word, somewhere around the point between the mid and high frequencies, but this was more than compensated by the wonderful rest of the mid-range spectrum and, dare I say, very pleasant lows.

I now have DX4s in early acousta cabinets (these are a little deeper than the ones made later) and I am extremely happy with them so far, although I am still far breaking them in. Although I never believed it would make that much of a difference, the new style phase plug does so much for the shoutines (or so I want to believe - it's hard to tell sometimes :D).

Also, I know everyone keeps saying lowther can't do bass, but I'm very happy with what I get. It may be bordering on polite, but it is very pleasant/musical.

What I have noticed is that they are extremely unforgiving...I do a lot of random record digging and inevitably have a fair few crappy pressings which really don't sound good when I play them through my rogers cadet 3 and the lowthers, whereas they sound just about acceptable through my powered studio monitors. Eh well, you can't have everything! :)

Forgot to add - the 100W rating for the Lowthers is poppycock - I'm using a Rogers Cadet 3 which can't be more than 8-10W. Anything past half-way on the volume is too much for room listening and I've "powered" a large houseparty with less than full volume very comfortably. Never tried 100W, but reckon that you could easily blow any lowther driver with that much power.

Rick, were you unhappy with the DX3s? Those were the half-broken ones that I fixed up and was using for a while and I was very happy with them...admittedly they got a bit "shouty", for lack of a better word, somewhere around the point between the mid and high frequencies, but this was more than compensated by the wonderful rest of the mid-range spectrum and, dare I say, very pleasant lows.

I now have DX4s in early acousta cabinets (these are a little deeper than the ones made later) and I am extremely happy with them so far, although I am still far breaking them in. Although I never believed it would make that much of a difference, the new style phase plug does so much for the shoutines (or so I want to believe - it's hard to tell sometimes :D).

Also, I know everyone keeps saying lowther can't do bass, but I'm very happy with what I get. It may be bordering on polite, but it is very pleasant/musical.

What I have noticed is that they are extremely unforgiving...I do a lot of random record digging and inevitably have a fair few crappy pressings which really don't sound good when I play them through my rogers cadet 3 and the lowthers, whereas they sound just about acceptable through my powered studio monitors. Eh well, you can't have everything! :)

Lets see, I purchased my DX3's new about 7 years ago. After trying them in 4 different configurations I finally decided to sell them and go in another direction. I used them in everything from Voight pipes, BIB's, Hedlunds, and open baffles with helper woofers. Heck I even tried the Decware Gizmo's on them.

I didn't have opportunity to try the new, redesigned phase plug so I can't say if those are of value.

Basically what I didn't like about them in any configuration was the listener fatigue they induced and the fact that many of my favorite recordings didn't seem to work with them. They did do some interesting things and at times sounded superb, but over all they were too limiting for me so I considered it 4th and long and punted. :eek:

The guy had me until I linked to his store to find $300 interconnects and this little beauty:

"Writing hymns of praise isn't really our cup of tea <snip> But it's a masterpiece of physical and spiritual exactness."

Methinks his credibility just took a beating.

At least I'm not the only one to react in such a manner. :D

But I hate to see the guy sell himself short. "Writing hymns of praise" does indeed seem to be his "cup of tea". :cannotbe:

Yes LA I can agree with that. The smaller the cone, the easier it will be to control all parts of it as a piston. At least that sounds right to me.

I use 8"s because I can run them full range and play them at levels that would be thermally or mechanically hazardous to a smaller driver.

I suppose I could use eight 3" drivers or something, but that would introduce other design and response issues I don't want to deal with.

Take one for the team indeed!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.