• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

I really would like your help on my 300B project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
reversed leads.

Hi,

Ralph,we suspect that inside your amplifier the ground wire is connected to the hot side of the RCA input and vice versa.

Measure with your DVM between hot side (+) of the RCA and chassis ground.

If you measure 0 Ohm there then reverse the connections at the input and measure again.

What I don't get is how you measure the 65K input resistor correctly though. :xeye:

Cheers,;)

I really appreciate your help guys. I do measure 65K Ohm between (+) of RCA and any groundpoint. (without interconnect) The (+) of the RCA is connected to pins 2 and 7 of the 5687 (grid).

Pin 8 is connected to the earth (heater center tap). I put 12,6V on pin 4 and 0V on pin 5. That 0V isn't directly connected to the earth directly, but through pin 8.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
CABLES

Hi,

It must be that the 2 connections of the cable are swapped. This must be at one end or the other. Probably in the equipment (it's vry difficult, though not impossible) to have a swap-over in a plug).

Are these cables homemade?

If so,disconnect it completely and measure the hot (+) at both ends.
If the DVM does not respond the wires are reversed.

Fishy stuff....:xeye:

Cheers,;)

Cables are fine, and not homemade. I checked them, no problems found.

I double checked all the wiring, nothing found yet, will check again. But are we looking in the right place, isn't it suspected for the measured input impedance to change when a preamp is connected?

isn't it suspected for the measured input impedance to change when a preamp is connected?
Yes, that's true. But when you reported a very low resistance between the signal and ground, it looked like a wiring fault in this area.
Since then, it's drifted a bit, and I'm unsure at the moment.

Are you saying that the measured resistance is different with the 2 different preamps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.