I made myself a record cleaner

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Clean water should be good enough. Scottish or Norwegian springwater is best:)
The ultrasonic effect is not depending on any washing detergent.
Be aware of temperature rise if you operate the USC over a long periode of time. Vinyl is not very resistant to heat. I turn it off for cooling when the temperature reach human boby temperature.
It's nice and interesting to see all the different and excellent designs of this cleaning principle. Very well done!

I tried the ultrasonic cleaning principle with de-ionized water, available at fuel stations. Not having such sophisticated revolving attachment, I leave the disc in the tub for 5 minutes, then I turn it 45 degrees, and so on for 4 x 5 minutes. After that, I rinse it under tap water and use paper kitchen towel for removing any water drops. Interestingly, the water runs off the surface after cleaning, so after-washing with tap water is not a problem.

ultrasonic cleaner

I finally got my ultrasonic cleaner completed. Works great records come out cleaner than ever and are much quieter and i can hear much more detail. Using reverse osmosis water with 2 tbl spoons of AIVS 2nd step cleaning solution ,this is just alcohol and pure water.
The unit has been cut on a cnc machine out of 3/4 in UHMC plastic , don't need 3/4 in. just what we had available. It is made to accept one of these motors http://www.servocity.com/html/3-12v_gear_motors.html just waiting to determine what speed is required. I am rotating at 1 rpm every 5 min but that is too slow and the cleaning solution is drying before one rotation is complete ,cause i was cleaning at 25c this speeds up the drying process. This leaves a little white residue even after cleaning on a record cleaner. I think replacing the water with distilled and increasing the speed of the rotation of the record to prevent drying will cure the problem.
Todd

It may be ok to rotate the record fast enough not getting dry. Higher rotation speed will reduce the ultrasonic effect.
We are very serious about the water used in this process:)
Spring water is fine if it's clean. As Scottish and Norwegian.
In Scotland they may have Scotch in the tap. We have Aquavit:)

Here is a pic of the mount I made for my Ultrasonic Cleaner.

Attachments

• img_2469.jpg
    img_2469.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 1,589
Turbine,

Looks very professional.
Do you have a rubber buffer between the Tub and the top two clamps.

I modded mine. Enlarged the slots on the underside of the clamps to accept a layer of rubber to ensure that the tub vibrations were not impeded by the clamp since on my ultrasonic unit the tub appears to be mounted on a silicone type gasket onto the unit frame.
Perhaps I'm being over fussy

Ianmac

No Ianmac , i never thought of putting rubber between the top mount and the cleaner , but that is a good idea. Most of the weight sits on the telescoping tube which sits on the table . The end of this tube has a rubber foot on it to prevent the tube from scatching the table.
This design is great cause it turns 90 deg. for storage and also raises and lowers for loading records. I should be able to clean 12 records at once but so far only done 2 at a time.
I have found that my distilled water gets dirty after about 4 or 5 records so i am thinking of a filter system to keep the water clean.
Todd

cleaning time

neilmacey - I have been cleaning mine for 10 or 15 min. because my Ultrasonic cleaner operates on 5 min. increments. So i usually push the button twice and that gives me 10 min. The records come out perfectly clean after 10 min , if the record is really dirty i will clean it for 15 min.
After i clean it in the ultrasonic bath i dry it on a Loricraft type cleaner that completely removes any water or debris that may have resettled back on the album during the removal.

Todd

ecir38- My quick release clamp is just a paper clamp with a hole drilled in it the correct size for the record cleaner shaft and a little foam tape stuck on to the side that contacts the record. Simple, cheap and effective.
Todd

Attachments

• IMG_2756.JPG
    IMG_2756.JPG
    837 KB · Views: 1,080
  • IMG_2757.JPG
    IMG_2757.JPG
    824.8 KB · Views: 997
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.