I don't believe cables make a difference, any input?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, there are certainly other factors. But appearance is a HUGE driver. Nelson Pass gave me what I think was the most trenchant analysis, but I probably wouldn't repeat it here. :D

If you're at the deal in Dallas in two weeks, remind me to tell you the Berning TF10 story.

I'll be there. Everyone has a story that proves a point and I'm open to all of them. I will say that most of the stories I've heard about an ugly but well-performing piece of equipment not selling involved someone trying to sell something for more than it was worth, based on the performance alone and unrelated to how little money was actually invested in the product.

John

Last edited:
No one argues appearance can't be a factor. If you're not maintaining it's effect is permanent and imperative, I really don't see the point.
When it's employed during the decision making process it doesn't have to be permanent. You really don't see the 'point' that during the process of deciding which product is better you'll likely be influenced every time with irrelevant factors as a byproduct of the construct of our minds? Comparing products that produce identical results using your faculties would be akin to comparing the speed of 2 computers with a thermometer. You'll get something you can use to make up your mind, it just might not reflect the actual results. If you can't see a problem with that than I think you should leave the decision making to others.

You obviously have not sold loudspeakers. Looks is either the number one criteria or number two, but seldom below that. Its not always the dominant one, but it is never insignificant.

Although your own speakers weren't the most attractive ones on the market, not everyone was convinced of their performance either. Geddo Blaster was the nickname I heard most often applied. The innovative sales technique of belittling potential customers didn't help either.

John

No, but one sense is capable of overcoming another. How long would your interest in a cute girl hold if she stunk like hell? Or if over the long run you realized she was a bit more of a dim bulb than you originally felt?
The answer to your question is subconsciously forever. Even if you think she stinks, or hate her guts, you'll still produce a pore reaction to the sight of her. You've no more overcome your subconscious behavior than a guy who flinched at a twig he thought was a spider. What you're talking about is quite clearly conscious thought, or else every man would rape every attractive woman he sees. I really can't understand if you're having trouble with the words unconscious or association, because you keep butchering any understanding of either of them. I live with a neurobiology student working on her masters, if you want I can get her to explain the nuances of the subject to you when shes not killing mice and unhatched chick embryos.

You made that cheap shot available by changing what I called "the major role" to just "a role". Nice try
Sorry, would it be better if I edited my post to say "major role"? You really think the brain doesn't play a major role in making decisions? Because I didn't add the "major" in the sentence proves nothing besides your willingness to nitpick pointless aspects of an argument you're misinformed in to begin with.

You accuse me of comparing apples to oranges? The appearance of the speaker and the way it sounds are both perceived and subjective. I am only interested in a speaker that sounds good to me. One that appeals to me visually would be a bonus. I'm certainly not stupid enough to buy a speaker that has the best measurements.
Because you clearly don't understand measurements. That aside, it's apple and oranges not because of perception or subjective, it's because you're comparing something that has tangible differences to something that doesn't. Comparing 2 objects that produce different results is different than comparing 2 objects that produce identical results. I can't make myself clearer.

The answer to your question is subconsciously forever. Even if you think she stinks, or hate her guts, you'll still produce a pore reaction to the sight of her. You've no more overcome your subconscious behavior than a guy who flinched at a twig he thought was a spider. What you're talking about is quite clearly conscious thought, or else every man would rape every attractive woman he sees. I really can't understand if you're having trouble with the words unconscious or association, because you keep butchering any understanding of either of them. I live with a neurobiology student working on her masters, if you want I can get her to explain the nuances of the subject to you when shes not killing mice and unhatched chick embryos.

Sorry, would it be better if I edited my post to say "major role"? You really think the brain doesn't play a major role in making decisions? Because I didn't add the "major" in the sentence proves nothing besides your willingness to nitpick pointless aspects of an argument you're misinformed in to begin with.

Because you clearly don't understand measurements. That aside, it's apple and oranges not because of perception or subjective, it's because you're comparing something that has tangible differences to something that doesn't. Comparing 2 objects that produce different results is different than comparing 2 objects that produce identical results. I can't make myself clearer.

You're moving further and further off track from from my original point that some if not many audiophiles buy a product that sounds best to them even if it's physical appearance doesn't hold any initial appeal. I'm saying that a person's primordial instincts play a small role in his decision-making process when it comes to buying (usually expensive) hi-fi equipment, even more so if he has any experience in the matter. It doesn't matter how much you spout about evolution, Freudian psychology, neuroscience, or who you live with. You are practically insinuating that a large group of intelligent people are incapable of making rational decisions without applying your own personal criteria for making such decisions.

John

Although your own speakers weren't the most attractive ones on the market, not everyone was convinced of their performance either. Geddo Blaster was the nickname I heard most often applied. The innovative sales technique of belittling potential customers didn't help either.

John

Sounds pretty defensive. I have no idea who "Geddo Blaster" is or what he has said so I can't really comment.

You're moving further and further off track from from my original point that some if not many audiophiles buy a product that sounds best to them even if it's physical appearance doesn't hold any initial appeal. I'm saying that a person's primordial instincts play a small role in his decision-making process when it comes to buying (usually expensive) hi-fi equipment, even more so if he has any experience in the matter. It doesn't matter how much you spout about evolution, Freudian psychology, neuroscience, or who you live with. You are practically insinuating that a large group of intelligent people are incapable of making rational decisions without applying your own personal criteria for making such decisions.
That's exactly what I'm saying.

Sorry to be the one to break the news, but decisions made, even about hi-fi gear, are subject to the same mental incongruities and bias. There's countless books that explain the process of making decisions and the many conscious and unconscious aspects that occur. This is not really up for debate considering there's an entire branch of science dedicated to the research of this stuff that claims the exact opposite of the claims you're trying to make. You experience product bias regardless of how well researched you are or how sharp your ears are. The reason why you do:

It's part of being human, regardless if you choose to accept it or not.

What qualities didn't you like or I guess what qualities does a "geddo blaster" have. I think of a lot of bass, but I don't think even the Summas should be used without a sub so I guess I may not know what qualities are associated with a "blaster" of any kind.

It's been many years. I only remember that it wasn't a positive experience, and I don't make an effort to hold on to the details of non-positive experiences.

John

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.