I don't believe cables make a difference, any input?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There must be a whole world full of fool's in your opinion, if that is the case. Maybe you should let them know that they are insane and not capable of handling their own finances, let alone be trusted to think, see and hear reliably without the aid of a close minded electrical engineer by their sides at all times :rolleyes:

.........and be prepared for their replies and other reactions if you decide to do that looking them in the eyes !!!!!

Is that the best that you have? You never bothered to answer my question as to whether science has ever been proven wrong. This is known as a "diversion" here in Texas. I guess you have a scientific name for it :)

OK, I'll take a shot at answering your question. Specific scientific theories have been proven wrong. That is what scientist do. Seek the truth. When new facts are presented and shown to be true and correct, then science goes with the new facts. Scientist are willing to continue to examine and learn and make corrections to their beliefs. This is not a failing of science, it is the strength of science. It is a failing of the non scientist to see it that way.

What Curly is missing (besides what "science" actually is, the notion of a theory, and what constitutes a "fact") is that science works off of data and demands correspondence. The last part is what apparently escapes you, too.

I've said about a million and a half times, to no apparent effect, that all it takes is evidence. Where is it?

What Curly is missing (besides what "science" actually is, the notion of a theory, and what constitutes a "fact") is that science works off of data and demands correspondence. The last part is what apparently escapes you, too.

I've said about a million and a half times, to no apparent effect, that all it takes is evidence. Where is it?

I've read somewhere that in Texas a reply like yours is called "diversion".

I'm getting confused, what evidence do you want? You've said that cables that measure the same, sound the same. Does that also imply that if it doesn't measure the same it is possible that it doesn't sound the same? Even if it is true, which two cables measure the same, if I know that I'm willing to do a blind test on them. I've tried to measure a few for a test but apparently it wasn't good enough so I stopped wasting my time with it.

At this stage it seems like it is more fun to blow smoke and trying to divert the subject.

I'm getting confused, what evidence do you want? You've said that cables that measure the same, sound the same. Does that also imply that if it doesn't measure the same it is possible that it doesn't sound the same? Even if it is true, which two cables measure the same, if I know that I'm willing to do a blind test on them. I've tried to measure a few for a test but apparently it wasn't good enough so I stopped wasting my time with it.

Yes, if they measure the same, they will not be able to be distinguished by ear alone. I await evidence that this is not so.

If they measure differently, they may or may not be distinguishable by ear alone. Assertions that there are differences in sound when known variables (level, frequency response) are well below established threshold require some evidence to be supported.

Since that's been said about 2 million times, why are you still asking that question?

Is that the best that you have? You never bothered to answer my question as to whether science has ever been proven wrong. This is known as a "diversion" here in Texas. I guess you have a scientific name for it :)

No problemo, I'll bite.

Yes, scientific knowledge was proven wrong. It happened in the past and it will happen in the future - and that's IMO, in the big picture, a good thing.

Please note the "proven" keyword above. Serious and productive challenges to the science body of knowledge always came from the inside, using the scientific methods of investigation. I am not aware of any scientifically proven fact to be successfully challenged by a vodoo witch or, as a matter of fact, an audio salesman.

You are free to try though, as much as the scientific crowd (that part that is not looking for some cheap entertainment) is free not to care about your attempts.

Now, let's debate what a "challenge to the science body of knowledge" means :rofl:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well I really do wish that cables made a difference - apart from the gross errors that wild LCR differences might make. Even the small ones are subtle enough not to bother me.

Alas, I've have not heard it. I want to believe, but so far have not seen or heard any hard evidence. Why do I want to believe? Cause if the cables are "holding back" my system, by golly they have to go! Swapping cables is easy, tho it may be $$.

I have found so many other things that DO make a difference that cables seem like they should be in the same category. So far, it hasn't worked for me. So I'll have to stick with Sy on this one. "Show me the evidence." Why isn't there any good, controlled evidence if they do make such a difference?

But hey, I'm still open to new things. If someone who's audio advise I really trust asks me to listen to some type of cable, why not? But it does have to be someone I know and who has a great sounding system. Otherwise, color me skeptical.

In answer to "what color is up?" it used to be blue when I lived on Maui. Then I moved to Seattle and Portland where up was definitely Gray. For me right now it's the color "skeptical".

Since that's been said about 2 million times, why are you still asking that question?

Because I find it amusing that the criteria is that the cables must measure the same but in reality it must be rare to find two different cables that do measure the same. In other words, almost all cables that you can buy may sound different, what's the argument then?

Yes, scientific knowledge was proven wrong. It happened in the past and it will happen in the future - and that's IMO, in the big picture, a good thing.

I agree, and that is essentially what I was trying to say. Adding knowledge that may improve your understanding should not be considered a bad thing, but to some people it seems to be a sign of weakness to admit you have learned something new.

Status
Not open for further replies.