I don't believe cables make a difference, any input?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does it make a difference?

Yes, completely different topics and a completely different set of variables involved so it does make a difference.

Why is it flawed, I've clearly said that "only after you are satisfied with the measurements the real measuring can begin", meaning that you get your flat responses first with measurements but after that is done, the ears must agree. A flat freq response is important in quality audio but after that there are aspects that can only be 'measured' by ear, like detail, focus, ambience etc. This is what make a system sound believable.

I will agree with that and it doesnt conclude that cables or speaker wires make a system better.

And of course some people do not realize that un-sound-reinforced in performance music is the only reasonable
music for test purposes.

Without a doubt. We had season tickets to the Dallas Symphony for many years at the last audio store that i worked for and it was eye opening to say the least. Audio has miles to go before we can dream of capturing a live performance of an unamplified orchestra.

Doug 20..... having SY and Anatech is great for us...i am afraid

is a big suffering for them...some of us may bother them a lot because our ignorance.

good for us....not for them i think.... when i feel that is too much to my nerves i just abandon the thread.... they cannot do that, they have to stay taking care of us, having to read all things we post..interesting or not to them.

regards,

Carlos

No not at all, but maybe someone that is new to high end systems might be I guess.

So you are able to block out brand and price influences! Impressive.

In my and others views, A/B tests do not allow enough time to determine changes, that are subtle upon first hearing them. My testing in my system is carried out over weeks and weeks. I will never attempt to say that a quick A/B test determines anything. I see no point in it either as I want to listen to what any changes made, with a set of known recordings, that I am familiar with. Any snap decisions are rarely if ever accurate. That to me makes the most sense, rather than put pressure on someone to make choices based upon pass/fail conditions.

Its that cut and past response from the subjective crowd or what ;) AB testing does not have to be fast switching at all and there is no pressure....do you guys crack under pressure? What do you do for a living to be so fragile?

The only important part is to hide the equipment so that brand and pricing does not influence the test but as you conviently posted above you can block those out of your experience.

I think I have enough about you no need to debate or reply to any of my posts.

is a big suffering for them...some of us may bother them a lot because our ignorance.

good for us....not for them i think.... when i feel that is too much to my nerves i just abandon the thread.... they cannot do that, they have to stay taking care of us, having to read all things we post..interesting or not to them.

regards,

Carlos

Carlos,

I am not trying to make you believe that I can hear what I hear. I am simply expressing my thoughts when asked if I feel that I can hear differences. If that means that I want to argue, I can not see the logic in that personally.

So you are able to block out brand and price influences! Impressive.

Its that cut and past response from the subjective crowd or what ;) AB testing does not have to be fast switching at all and there is no pressure....do you guys crack under pressure? What do you do for a living to be so fragile?

The only important part is to hide the equipment so that brand and pricing does not influence the test but as you conviently posted above you can block those out of your experience.

I think I have enough about you no need to debate or reply to any of my posts.

Well that is good to know. I would hate to have to go over this again for 20 more pages. I hope that you enjoy what ever it is that you listen to Doug, as I will also.

Have you made AB testings Curly...blind ABX testings?

have your confirmed that you can do that?

Sometimes we think in a such direction...but futher testing forced a change in our minds..happened with me several times.... 49 years building and comparing amplifier and more than 4.7K amplifiers made to listen, evaluate and compare made me realise we use to be fooled all the time...and that to be wrong is more usual than to be rigth.

All that time made me be sure i know nothing... finished with my arrogance and made me listen others,... searching for more know how.

If you did the test, and that confirmed your previous thougths..then i have nothing more to ask, and i will believe, without any doubts, that you are able..this is the only thing i believe..the ABX Blind testing, operated by other guy and you cannot know, or see, what is playing and when it is playing.

I am 58 Curly.. and i have a friend that believe in cables, also that an amplifier stand into the floor sounds better than submited to a vibrational environment (drunk eletrons maybe)..he believes that capacitor sounds...well...i control myself not to laugh...respecting the guy.... i do not agree but i love him a lot.. but also i think he is a little bit crazy.... i will not be astonished if someday he decide to dress himself different and say to me his is Napoleòn Bonapart ressurrected.

regards,

Carlos

Last edited:
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Does it make a difference?

Why is it flawed, I've clearly said that "only after you are satisfied with the measurements the real measuring can begin", meaning that you get your flat responses first with measurements but after that is done, the ears must agree. A flat freq response is important in quality audio but after that there are aspects that can only be 'measured' by ear, like detail, focus, ambience etc. This is what make a system sound believable.

Yes, it certainly does make a difference.

I thought it was clear for everyone it was speaker cables that are being discussed here.

Cheers, ;)

have your confirmed that you can do that?

Sometimes we think in a such direction...but futher testing forced a change in our minds..happened with me several times.... 49 years building and comparing amplifier and more than 4.7K amplifiers made to listen, evaluate and compare made me realise we use to be fooled all the time...and that to be wrong is more usual than to be rigth.

All that time made me be sure i know nothing... finished with my arrogance and made me listen others searching for more know how.

If you did the test, and that confirmed your previous thougths..then i have nothing more to ask, and i will believe, without any doubts, that you are able..this is the only thing i believe..the ABX Blind testing, operated by other guy and you cannot know, or see, what is playing and when it is playing.

I am 58 Curly

regards,

Carlos

He won't he already knows he can block out the influences ;)

I thought so but i think some argued either one.

Speaker cables are actually speaker wires, correct?...just trying to get the international term done.

Well in my 20+ years of selling audio, only mid fi type types were referred to as "wires", as they were nothing more than zip cord or similar. Anything with any supposed engineering behind it, was commonly referred to as "cables in my industry.

Carlos,

I think that what you are doing is trying to compare something that you have built vs. another component that you have built. You are passionately involved with this scenario. I can see where it would be very difficult to determine if you had a preference one way or the other. That is only normal to me.
That is similar to asking a father which offspring does he likes more.

I am not trying to compare cables exactly. I am trying to make my musical experience more enjoyable. I have no dog in this hunt. I am simply trying to determine if my recordings have improved by the changes that i make. I could care less what brand of cable is on them or what color that they might be. I am trying to determine if the music is more involving or not.

Last edited:
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I thought so but i think some argued either one.

Speaker cables are actually speaker wires, correct?...just trying to get the international term done.

To me a wire is a single run of wire (insulated or not) whereas a cable is a finished product ready to use for the intended purpose.
In case of loudspeaker cables that would basically be two runs of insulated wire per channel.

That's how I use the terms anyway. English is not my mother tongue so don't take my word for it.

Cheers, ;)

EDIT: Not exactly the bible but often on the money: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable

Last edited:
Well, just therms, words...cables and speaker wiring..speaker cable, speaker wire

this is almost the same....but we use to say cables when we have more than one wire inside..in special multiwiring cables... telephone cables... optical fiber cables and so on.... wire means a single conductor normally.

Call them cable is to promote (and increase value and price) an electrical conductor that has capacitance, inductance and resistance....normally this all they have...we cannot find unobtanium nor inexistium...also they use to be free or snake oil and fooling ya substances.

that word forum dislike, and substitute by dots..****! can be told as..excrement, animal waste ... and means the same thing, only with synonyms or technical terms.

regards,

Carlos

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.