I built FH3's, now recommend my next "classic rock" full-ranger

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No offence Cal, but the guy has an Audio Analogue Puccini.

The 'rock/slam' is brought as much by the amp, as it is the speaker.

The whole thread is really rather silly.

I have to take exception ... It's really not silly at all. And for the record, I am not the one who used "slam" as a descriptor for what I'm looking for. I'm not looking to play Metallica at ear-bleed SPL, but rather to have a system that will allow me to drive it a little harder for various rock (prog and classic) than I'm able to with my otherwise capable fh3's. I don't see where that's an unusual desire.

Reading through all the suggestions, I believe that something like the WiBAQ may be a fun and easy project to try, and it's cheap to boot. And I have to believe that while it won't be the be all, end all in terms of bass performance, it will certainly be closer to what I'm looking for out of a new build than my fh3's. am I off base here?

Tom

I wouldn't say Youre off base. I like my bass and my WiBAQs handle my needs. They're not suited for hip hop or anything, but with my usual stuff (Jack White, U2, Rolling Stones, Genesis, XTC, Modest Mouse, Arcade Fire, Portugual The Man, Violent Femmes, Led Zeppelin, to name a few) they do well. My room is about 12 by 16 (I'm guessing) with 8 foot ceilings, and the WiBAQs play loud, clear, and deep.

I wouldn't say Youre off base. I like my bass and my WiBAQs handle my needs. They're not suited for hip hop or anything, but with my usual stuff (Jack White, U2, Rolling Stones, Genesis, XTC, Modest Mouse, Arcade Fire, Portugual The Man, Violent Femmes, Led Zeppelin, to name a few) they do well. My room is about 12 by 16 (I'm guessing) with 8 foot ceilings, and the WiBAQs play loud, clear, and deep.

Thanks for the input. My listening room is similar, as are my musical tastes (I love any Jack White project). I may give the WiBAQ a go, or the similar (I think) version with the TangBand W8-1722 drivers. I may hit you up on the exact construction method for the BSC circuit if I do, since I've never wired one up. Just a pic of how it's physically soldered together and where it's placed it the cabinet would help.

Thanks for the input. My listening room is similar, as are my musical tastes (I love any Jack White project). I may give the WiBAQ a go, or the similar (I think) version with the TangBand W8-1722 drivers. I may hit you up on the exact construction method for the BSC circuit if I do, since I've never wired one up. Just a pic of how it's physically soldered together and where it's placed it the cabinet would help.

Sure. I'm about to order some new inductors for mine and rebuild them. I used some crappy hand wound ones for experimenting.
The instructables article has a BSC schematic. I don't know if you have checked that out yet. It's linked to on the WiBAQ thread. I might mount the BSC on the outside of the cabinet near the binding posts so that it can be disconnected if I choose to do so.

I'm a die hard Jack White fan. I personally concider him the greatest contemporary musician. All of his projects fail to disappoint. Jack sounds particular good on the WiBAQs.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I like Mike B1's suggestions. I also like having more than one system tailored to different rooms. If he swapped his speakers in his rooms the sound wouldn't be as good. Fun thread with lots of good ideas.

Who wouldn't want a 600 watt coaxial setup in their garage rafters? That would seriously cause some neighborhood disturbances if turned on full power. :)

It can get loud - :) I think I SPL'ed about 115 dB.

It's been through a lot of iterations. It started out with a passive XO and driven with a car amp. Then a Berhinger A500. Then 2 A500's and an active XO and the car amp drove the tweets. Then the Seliniums instead of the (forgot what it was) comp drivers.

The best addition was that Bellari "Sonic Exciter". It has a couple of 12AX7's in it and does magic to the sound. Before the Bellari I would crank it till the clip lights blinked, but soon down as it was a little harsh. With the exciter, I can do the same thing and it sounds so good I could just leave it on till the cops came or the speakers melted.

Fun stuff. Kinda amazing too. It's really loud in the garage but I can walk out to the street or the property line and yeah, I can still hear it, but the sound of a car going by will cover it up. Dunno. It's not as loud outside as I expected it to be. Even with the big door open. Maybe cause they are pointed down at a concrete floor and the sound is bouncing up?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
It's actually 2x500 watts or a kilowatt! Wow. Depends on how far away the property line is. Sound falls of as 1/r^2 so probably is fine 100 ft away. I always wondered why anyone needs a 500 watt amp for a home system.... you know, there is a neat thread in the Class D forum about a real simple and cheap 1200 watt amp using nothing more than two power mosfets driven by an IR2110. The power supply is just wall plug with no xformer but a rectifier and caps to get 120 volts to feed the mosfets. People who built it say it sounds great. Now you can have 2400 watts for your garage!
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/166214-ucd-25-watts-1200-watts-using-2-mosfets-2.html#post2176254

Think I'd go for the Eminence 12"er.

Search for the EmKen thread.

Chris
Utterly scary speaker:D
They can sound a tiny bit congested at high(er/ish) levels with rock type music, but then I've never heard a 'speaker system that doesn't.
Drivers need but a few very simple mods to improve them, they are also fairly cheap and robust..... but need a HEAP of in cabinet running in.
Your amp will be totally overkill as sensitivity is right up there - 97db/w
One could always use EmKen as a base for a FAST type system (sorta what I have planned).
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/208347-ladies-gentlemen-emken.html

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.