I am not HarryHaller!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Brave New World

planet10 said:

It is just my hope that we can get enuff people off the earth to reap the vast riches out there, that we can control our population growth, and that we can innovate fast enuff that we don't drown in our own garbage.

Being pessamistic doesn't help. You just have to take steps forward, act locally, think globally.

If as fdegrove says, history repeats itself, then the next stage of civilization after the one where there is a huge beauracracy (like now), is picking up the pieces after the collapse.

If history repeats itself, then taking off the Earth doesn't make much sense, because sooner or later we'll be drowning in our own garbage again, anyways. Why not concentrate our efforts on a situation at hand and try to change the future for the next generations to come, instead of thinking about the escape?;)

Disabled Account
Joined 2001
Peter

Why not concentrate our efforts at the situation at hand and try to change the future for the next generations to come, instead of thinking about the escape?

My web site says what I think. And try to make it happen even though it is a seemingly hopeless task.

If you had total control to do just one thing, what would you do.

6 X 9 = 42 ???

"I always thought that there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe." - Arthur Dent

Attachments

• 42.jpg
    42.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 148
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Brave New World

Peter Daniel said:
Why not concentrate our efforts at the situation at hand and try to change the future for the next generations to come, instead of thinking about the escape?;)

It isn't escape so much as it will bring new resources and technology* that will enrich the planet. It will allow us to move industries that are heavy polluters out into space where the bad stuff can just be shoved into a collision course with the sun. And as you pointed out, mankind needs a frontier to act as a safety valve & a stimulus. Not going into space in a big-way is a short-sighted dead-end.

* imagine what the chip-makers & medicine makers will be able to grow in micro-gravity where to get a clean-room better than anthing on earth means just "blowing" the hatches.

dave

Disabled Account
Joined 2001
Planet10

I agree with you.

We already have the terminology

Warp one Mr Data,
Red alert sheilds up.
Eject the warp core
Abandon ship
Phazors on stun
Captain the Borg ship is closing on us
Well done number one

Humans have an insatiable interest in exploration.
Wether we will be exploring in space of our own free will or because we have stuffed up our own planet is a moot question.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
CLIMATE&MUSIC

Remp,

What is wrong with your climate. ?

It's probably just me.
I need the sun and all that goes with it,people with smiles on their faces and such.
Winter just gets me down and it keeps on getting worse.
Mind you,when it is cold here it is also rather humid as well so it kind of gets to you in a nasty way.
Hate it.:bawling:

Peter,

Re: Front 242 and my taste in music.

Well,just don't pin me down on the stuff I post on classical music.
Actually I like all kinds of music as long as it is good (whatever the defintion might be for that).

Belgium is of course a very small country but we have some great musicians:

Tecnotronic being another example that was commercially successful.
Then there was TC Matic,singer Arno Hintjens is still kicking ***.

Jacques Brel,Toots Thielemans to name a few others.

Cheers,;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
THEM CRAZY YEARS

Hi Peter,

Not bad he?
I bet Jason would love to spend a week or two down here as well.:D

Hey Jocko,

My mistake for asking you to post I guess?

Anchovy...in French anchovis: that's that tiny little fish you sometimes get with your pizza.
Insignificant. :(

Cheers fellows,

He deserves the SinBin for a long time.

Dave,
disagreed. You are tooo lenient (but if i post what i think on the guy, i have to go to sin bin straight ... xxxxx xxxxxxx xxxx!!)

agreed on spaceflight and why it should be done.

Moreover, methinks the typically human habit to postpone problems and hoping time wold solve them leads to nowhere.
if we do not start trying to escape population pressure and leaving this planet, then our grandchildren will starve.
Our society is doomed: if the average concentration of intelligent minds per space rises over a certain level (i am not assuming emotional intelligence and instincts catch up with intellectual power), people jump each other, just in a quite sophisticated way.

I feel reminded on a short story by Stanislaw Lem: Experimenta Felicitologica.
the half-genius inventor ends up in creating µsocieties with atom-size cititens in a box and the box having controls outside for average intelligence in different fields, weight of instintcs, balance between self-interest and interest in common wealth, good or bad spirit, and mean deviation of those.
No matter how he fiddles with different combinations of parameters, the societies all sooner or later collapse. In different ways but a pattern becomes observable as soon as he messes one sampe up by accidentally having all paramters fully turned towards the negative and average intelligence ot high. This sample does not differ at all in its development, it survives a biot longer than expected, then crashing in a particularly spectacular way.
The common denominator is individual intelligence, as soon as this is too high, society is doomed, as soon as it is not high enough, it won't evolve to a state which than can be doomed. Depressing.

Methinks Lem is right. Only solution: escape on the lon run. Or getting extinct.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
DOOM

Hoi!

Methinks Lem is right. Only solution: escape on the lon run. Or getting extinct.

Man,you forgot to take you Prozac.

Just a little joke to cheer you up:

QQ:Why do ducks have such wide,flat feet?

A:To stamp out BUSH-fires.

QQ:Why do elephants have such wide,flat feet?

A:To stamp out burning ducks.

;) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Cheer up,

Disabled Account
Joined 2001
I have a very interesting book.

The limits to growth. A report for the Club of Rome
Library of congress catalog card number 73-187907
ISBN 0-87663-165-0
Publisher Universe books New York

This is a high powered group of people looking at prospects of survival of the human race.

They fed all manner of data into powererful computers.
Data included global heat load, population increases, availability of fresh water, amount of arrable land for crop production, waste disposal, and so on.

Their scenario's involved adjustment of mix of parameters to try and judge the effect of different factors.

In all cases computer predictions gave a continued increase in human activity as we have now, and their overall conclusion was that at a certain point in time regardless of manipulation of the data for optimum results, civilisation on planet earth always started crashing irretreivably into chaos.

Want to know when that time is

Between 2010 and 2015

remp said:
I have a very interesting book.

The limits to growth. A report for the Club of Rome
Library of congress catalog card number 73-187907
ISBN 0-87663-165-0
Publisher Universe books New York

This is a high powered group of people looking at prospects of survival of the human race.

They fed all manner of data into powererful computers.
Data included global heat load, population increases, availability of fresh water, amount of arrable land for crop production, waste disposal, and so on.

Their scenario's involved adjustment of mix of parameters to try and judge the effect of different factors.

In all cases computer predictions gave a continued increase in human activity as we have now, and their overall conclusion was that at a certain point in time regardless of manipulation of the data for optimum results, civilisation on planet earth always started crashing irretreivably into chaos.

Want to know when that time is

Between 2010 and 2015

This report also predicted that the world population would hit 7 billion by 2000, that there would be food riots by then in the industrialized west and that the price of many key raw materials would spiral out of control. The reality is that every single prediction in the Club of Rome's report has turned out to have missed the mark.

http://www.overpopulation.com/faq/Natural_Resources/limits_to_growth.html

It can be fun to be chicken little for a while yelling the sky is falling, but after a while people notice that it's not.

Just do a google search on Club of Rome, virtually every webhit will be a treatise trying to explain why they got things so wrong.

Phil

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.