I am not HarryHaller!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Lot of my best friends in the electronics industry are now totally unemployed. No one wants them. Too qualified, too old, too hard for management to **** on. Nobody wants real people anymore. They just want to import cheap crap from Asia and make a buck without really lifting a finger and doing any work.

Us? Too old? And too hard........

No, not at all! Right, Phred?

We could close the borders and things would still be screwed up. It doesn't matter where you are, management is full of short-sighted twits that can't see past next quarter.

Jocko

changes

are the only true constant.

There is no turning the clock back -

Borders already seem to be weakening somewhat and will tend to weaken more in the future - following the free exchange of information over the internet.

While we're talking more like a "glacial" pace for them continuing to weaken - it seems to me that the level of international commerce is so high that it will only go forward at a greater pace with no reversal of trend

I'm trying to stay rational here and not get on a rant - so I'm not going to get onto the subject of increased government and increasing tax for less service.

Ken

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
BLANK STARE

All anonymous,

And I'm sure you do not want my gloomy opinion on that either.

Borders already seem to be weakening somewhat and will tend to weaken more in the future - following the free exchange of information over the internet.

What are these border protecting in the first place?

My biggest whish is that Europe will open up all borders while still respecting local culture ,for that is where true richess lies.

Amen;)

I regret to say

that along with borders having less and less meaning, while also having less effect on our lives - there seems to be a "homogenizing" of the world - where the local culture seems to be disappearing at a faster rate - something that is very disappointing to me

I hope very much that you are right Frank -

Ken

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: BLANK STARE

fdegrove said:
What are these border protecting in the first place?

To protect the power of those in power, at least originally...

My biggest whish is that Europe will open up all borders while still respecting local culture, for that is where true richess lies.

.... that the whole world will open up and yet allow us to preserve & nourish that which is unique & beautiful about every culture. One can olny think globally and act locally. We are doing a little bit by just being here.

Information & knowledge will be the true wealth as we move towards the future. We are currently going thru a societal and economic transformation on the order of the industrial revolution but in a fraction of the time span. There is bound to be some things perturbed.

dave

Disabled Account
Joined 2001
I dont know about that

New Zealand has the second highest per capita usage of computer in the world and we were told that computers would solve all problems.

It has not happened.

We consistenlt run high balance of trade deficits
We owe Billions of dollars to overseas lenders.
We only have two NZ owned banks all the rest are overseas owned including the Bank of New Zealand.
Education is rated 27th in the OECD down from 3rd
Our hospital waiting list gets longer and longer

etc.

I love New Zealand but I hate the way it is going. People have stopped helping each other the way they used to.

I suppose we are just too small. The good thing is our immigration is sky high. Everyone wants to come here.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
99%

Hi,

Information & knowledge will be the true wealth as we move towards the future. We are currently going thru a societal and economic transformation on the order of the industrial revolution but in a fraction of the time span. There is bound to be some things perturbed.

And wouldn't you agree that 99.99% of the population hasnt got a clue?

I'll be the last S.O.B. to spoil a dream,but one thing I learned:

History keeps on repeating itself.
Nobody learned anything even in the most painful of processes.
Ban all frontiers and you eventually end up with more borders than you started with.

Pessimistic?Prophet?
No,thks been at too many places at too many times read too many books don't watch the news anymore don't care about the wheather either.
Do I care about this forum? YES.

Let's show how strong our young generation really is and combine effort to crack this.

For that to happen Dave,get Jason away from his GF and let's get some analysis done.

As Ken said,we need info on hardware,OS and so on to help.
And what is wrong with JasonL's prop?
If only as a fallover soll.it would be great already.
Hell I could host you too at nominal cost + taxes.

Anyway.I hope this get solved asap and as Ken and myself stated if we can be of any use pls say so.

Rgds,

Frnk (264Bit bit encoded).

P.S.Lack of smileys is due to OZ political support.No offense to any party involved.I'm Belgian remember.
Next time I'l be Swiss.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
IMMIGRATION

Remp,

I suppose we are just too small. The good thing is our immigration is sky high. Everyone wants to come here.

Give me a year and I'm there.
Alright,alright I know that's the last thing you want.

In all seriousness I wantrd to immigrate and thought New Zealand was dictated by Australian politics on that (just to show how things are perceived abroad).

And O.K.,I'll help with the schrubs.;)

See ya in OZ,:)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
AND SINCE I AM IN A CREATIVE MOOD

Ouch,

"What do you get when you multiply 6 times 9?"

Forty two.

Me?
I always did fine with chemistry,biology,hell even maths were fine.

But when it came to modern maths I had a hard time convincing people that 6 times 9 equalled 42.

Dunno why really.

Got kinda stuck at 6 times 7.

Anything above that bothered me.

Then I met a real mathematician called J.Homo.
He dug me real good and -splained it was 6 times 9 making 54!!

Got back to the schoolie after that,bit ashamed but what do ya expect?

Audio ergo sum,;)

P.S.This is an hommage to the great Jock Homo.Can we help you sir?:)

Dave verbalizes it better than I

that's where we're going -

Not that computers will solve anything - more that they are fueling the revolution

What's the saying -

The chinese character for crisis and opportunity are the same??

"It'll turn the other way"- "It'll never turn the other way"

Things will turn until the end of time, if we recognize the turns as they come along and turn with them, things will be turning with us even if we changed course to make the turn

:D

Ken

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: 99%

fdegrove said:
And wouldn't you agree that 99.99% of the population hasnt got a clue?

You could say that about almost anything. The percentage might not be quite that high, but the sample i live in biases my opinion.

Ban all frontiers and you eventually end up with more borders than you started with.

We have used up almost all the frontiers inside the gravity well, the next frontier is outside the gravity well...

dave

Disabled Account
Joined 2001
Fdegrove
You will love New Zealand.

New Zealand used to be part of the great Southern continent called gondwandaland think thats the spelling many years ago but split of as an independant country.

New Zealand was named by a Dutch explorer who named it New Zeeland after a place in Holland. Probably Zeeland.

Settled mainly by British people.

There have been many comments about us joining Australia. Economy of scale might force it one day. Hate to see that happen. We have intense rivalry in sport with Australia, drive on the same side of the road (left side) and share many other similarities but most definiitly New Zealand is run by New Zealanders. Two main political parties. Labour and National. Labour was originally for the working man but not any more. Both are now center right parties

Market forces is the dominant ideology.

Thats the one that says the market will fix everything.

What they really mean is we dont know how to govern anymore so lets pretend we do but leave it all up to the market

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Front 242 said:
space is still beyond our reach

Space is not beyond our reach. It is just not politically sexy enuff.

Same with nuclear energy. Instead we burn coal and spew vast amounts of radiactive CO2 into the atmosphere (and the regular stuff is even worse).

The values that drive the economy are changing, and with that our world. It is just my hope that we can get enuff people off the earth to reap the vast riches out there, that we can control our population growth, and that we can innovate fast enuff that we don't drown in our own garbage.

Being pessamistic doesn't help. You just have to take steps forward, act locally, think globally.

If as fdegrove says, history repeats itself, then the next stage of civilization after the one where there is a huge beauracracy (like now), is picking up the pieces after the collapse.

The computer & it's offspring, the internet, even in its crude infancy, is a way for us to communicate with others all around the world. Once we realize that we all our in the same boat, share the same basic aspirations, and that the guy on the other side is really just like us, war becomes much harder, and we find ourselves sharing what we can to help uplift everyone.

Here we are doing 2 things, trying to help people enjoy music more, which makes people happier and more productive, and to encorage a world of more diverse, unique product by building it ourselves (this is not unique to audio, there is a surge of all sorts of DIY -- my wife sells sewing patterns and the DIY cloths market is also making a renaisance). The growth in these markets is partially driven by the economy but more so by the desire of people to express their creativity.

dave

Disabled Account
Joined 2001
Planet10

war becomes much harder,

Do you really think war becomes much harder.

I know one American President who is very keen on a war against Iraq

Ostensibly to get rid of weapons of mass destruction. Strange that the worlds major oil reserves are nearby.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.