Hypex UcD180HG HxR or 400HG HxR ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What model did you use? and how do you rate the product. I'm always lured towards the more expensive, (anything that cost more must be better:D) but in this case I ideally need to pull my head in.

How did you do the lettering?

David

It is the psychological factor if you spend a bit more you get better sound. Only way to find out is spend more money.

How do I rate the product. We are talking about.

2x ucd180
modified amplification and opamp is now lme49720
power supply 500VA toroidal transformer 30000uF 2x45V
Internal loudspeaker wiring van den Hul silvercarbon hybrid wire.
Internal audio wiring coax RG213
All connected in a cage off Faraday.
A 24 step precision volume control.
Neutrick cinch connectors.
A DC to UCD180 coupled 24bit PCM1793 DAC with LME49860.
Separate Digital and analog power supply.
Inputs other with film capacitors cutoff 0.5Hz.
Speakers AB , headphone selector.
Headphone output.

Compared to my external 24bit dac the internal amp is more punchy it attacks you with dynamic pulses.
For the low frequency it is rather cool for mid and high it makes it less relaxed to listen to, no improvement sound wise for mid high.
The sound stage is perfect wide and deep without holes.

There is almost no limit for dynamics in my system what concerns power supply cables and loudspeaker filter and biwiring. It is very fast punchy and edgy bright sounding, so thats the conclusion when your system is tuned to be limitless with minimal couple capacitors in the chain. It is less relaxed to listen to :scratch2:. Compared to my best sounding amp the vintage Vfet the hypex amp sounds more accurate it can be rated is neutral sounding.

The people who mix the record do not have the optimized system I have and mix there for make choices that sound less good when you have optimized the system.

There is alway some thing to complain I already ordered a 4X 100W TK2050 amp to compare with the Hypex. At the start of the topic one compared them and found the TK2050 is better. It is a further minimization of components in the audio chain thats what I like.
I already have a toroidal from my first amp project of 1986 that I can use to build it.

Last edited:
One can do two things tune on sound or tune on specs.

I will further tune on specs with the TK2050. So you can say I learned nothing from it :D

For my best sounding amp the VFET it uses electrolythic capasitors a lot of wire switches. A lot of losses in such a design many circuitboard wiring causes different ground potentials al these design short comings create a very nice sounding amplifier. Like with a tube amp. Or with a interlink.
My colleague modified a luxman amplifier to film capacitors and he did not like the sound at all and modified it back again. So a capacitor that has a bit more loss as characteristic sound better.:boggled:

My neighbor has a jukebox AMI 200 selections and he buys vintage singles for it on a optimized system the singles sound horrible. In the juke box it sounds OK all the scratches are lost in the poor amplification and loudspeakers.

So watch out for what you get when making a perfect constructed sound system.

Last edited:
My neighbor has a jukebox AMI 200 selections and he buys vintage singles for it on a optimized system the singles sound horrible. In the juke box it sounds OK all the scratches are lost in the poor amplification and loudspeakers.

So watch out for what you get when making a perfect constructed sound system.

One thing I noted in my listening and in my previous comments was that some sources sound worse. The imperfections are exposed. Think of what it was like to see your favorite actors in HD after seeing them on standard TVs for years. That's the feeling I get with these modules - high definition. If the music has blemishes or wrinkes they will be heard.

The hole world can buy direct from Manufacturer Hypex.
https://www.hypexshop.com/

Here the latest pics of my amp with text on front. And las Vegas inside.
attachment.php

That's a beautiful amp. Very nice work. Maybe my wife will let me put a stereo in the bedroom if it looks like that. :bulb:

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
One thing I noted in my listening and in my previous comments was that some sources sound worse. The imperfections are exposed. Think of what it was like to see your favorite actors in HD after seeing them on standard TVs for years. That's the feeling I get with these modules - high definition. If the music has blemishes or wrinkes they will be heard.
Yeah.... but somehow I think the errors are easier to ignore when the entire playback system is transparent.

An example: If you have a slightly harsh sounding speaker, "good" recordings may sound OK, but "bad" ones will sound awful, as it puts emphasis on the faults with the speaker.

Over the years as I've improved my playback system, most "bad" records have become acceptable, some even proved to actually sound excellent! :)

Yeah.... but somehow I think the errors are easier to ignore when the entire playback system is transparent.

An example: If you have a slightly harsh sounding speaker, "good" recordings may sound OK, but "bad" ones will sound awful, as it puts emphasis on the faults with the speaker.

Over the years as I've improved my playback system, most "bad" records have become acceptable, some even proved to actually sound excellent! :)

I understand what you say Erik but do you not end up with a speaker that lets sound things the same.
When for example choose drivers that absorb the harshness for the most part.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
I have metal cone mids and woofer, and AMT tweeter. Not much "sweetening" there, I can tell you that much...... And no - things does not sound the same through a very transparent system. If course you hear whats there, but my point is that "bad" recordings are really not all that bad - they just make bad playback systems show their weak sides.

A few well-known examples of "bad" recordings would be nice. Anyone?

I'm with Stig Erik here - high definition :) has to be "balanced" (somehow) - so as you get not *only* the thrilling details but get them well integrated in the whole pix.

One of the old / early Supertramp CD can be used as acid test, because horribly recorded (IMO) - on a "balanced" system its a pleasure to listen despite its obvious obstacles - at a "good" system "only" - its more or less un-digestible

Also - strangely enough - my experience is that upstreams electronics are more the root cause if integration does not happen as I like it (much less the speakers).
That says someone that happily tweaks the same amps for centuries (!) now - still bringing out new and fascinating sonic facets.

Michael

Last edited:
I have metal cone mids and woofer, and AMT tweeter. Not much "sweetening" there, I can tell you that much...... And no - things does not sound the same through a very transparent system. If course you hear whats there, but my point is that "bad" recordings are really not all that bad - they just make bad playback systems show their weak sides.

There are recordings that have no bass in them or with a to flat sound.

It seems to me that with the label there are also important differences. I have a horrible sounding INXS cd.

With each new speaker I become different favorite recordings to listen to. There are also recordings that are on al different speakers great sounding a good recording.

Thanks!

Thanks, guys. Helmuth, VERY nice!

I am already a class D convert - my Epifani bass amp and Beringer PA are both class D. A couple of months back on a whim I bought a hifimediy T2 and Meanwell from Nick (I am originally a tube guy, too, and that setup was dirt cheap at something like $120US). It sounds amazing, and I've been using it ever since.

When some of these guys say their class D product sounds "as good as class AB", to me that's a negative recommendation. Should leave class AB in the dust when done well.

Anyway, I read through Bruno Putzey's white papers on the Hypex website. I was able to really grasp less than half of it, but he clearly believes in post-filter-feedback, so I wanted to hear how his stuff sounds compared to the really nice Tripath sound from the T2. At $80 per module, I can swing that without divorce as a result, but $220 per module is in a whole different category!

I have what many would consider harsh speakers. They're JBL 4412 studio monitors and they are designed for flat response and low distortion (as well as good sound). The object of a studio monitor is to present a recording uncolored and to render the details as accurately as possible.

I *partially* disagree and partially agree with the above, although it's only my opinion. The scratched record playing back on a jukebox without the high frequency response to reveal the scratches was a good example I think of where an inferior recording sounds better on a bad system. But at the same time what is better? That same recording on a good system might sound noisier, but there are other details in the recording that would come to light on a good system that would make the recording sound better. So what is "better", hiding the scratches but at the same time hiding high frequency detail of instruments, or hearing the scratches but also hearing the highs that the jukebox won't reproduce?

I would prefer to have an accurate system that doesn't hide imperfections, but that's almost the same as saying I think bad recordings sound better on a good system which contradicts what I said before...:confused:

It is the psychological factor if you spend a bit more you get better sound. Only way to find out is spend more money.

How do I rate the product. We are talking about.

There is alway some thing to complain I already ordered a 4X 100W TK2050 amp to compare with the Hypex. At the start of the topic one compared them and found the TK2050 is better. It is a further minimization of components in the audio chain thats what I like.
I already have a toroidal from my first amp project of 1986 that I can use to build it.

Hmmm, nothing like keeping it standard:) Thanks

I'll be very interested to hear your impressions of the TK2050, As I will need to build something for my daughters birthday but it isn't till December. It started as a Sub, but now is a whole system. I'm assuming the TK2050 is cheaper than the Hypex? What have you ordered?

David

Hmmm, nothing like keeping it standard:) Thanks

I'll be very interested to hear your impressions of the TK2050, As I will need to build something for my daughters birthday but it isn't till December. It started as a Sub, but now is a whole system. I'm assuming the TK2050 is cheaper than the Hypex? What have you ordered?

David

Hi David,

I ordered this one. 4X100W comes in handy for my two way loudspeakers. I can filter active now.

4*100W TK2050 TP2050 Tripath D-class Amplifier Board - eBay 2-Channel, Power Amplifiers, Amplifiers, Home Audio, Electronics. (Eindtijd 08-mrt-11 11:08:06 CET)

Two problems

I'm sure you have read about the two possible problems with this board on the other thread. Check it when you get it to make sure the daughter board fits flat to the heatsink and is not warping. This amp is a retrofit of the 2050 chips which replaced an inferior chip set that was previously fitted. This required the addition of an extra daughter board in order to adapt them. The two boards tens to warp each other when they get hot which can pull the chips away from the heatsink. Many of these had a problem with burning up the two outside chips. Also, check the dc offset adjutment range as the resitors that worked for the original chip set were incorrect for the 2050.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/clas...100w-class-d-amplifier-board.html#post1904009

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Helmuth, I love all your work. :D DIY speakers, Wega Vfet rehab, this Hypex amp... Classy stuff. Thank you for sharing all your efforts. I just switched my main system amp from an ice power amp (NHT Power2) to my completed Hifimediy T2 and am very happy with it. I look forward to your Tk2050 work.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.