Hypex UcD180HG HxR or 400HG HxR ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
HcD180 versus TK2050 Tripath

I'm thinking of building a stereo amp with either of these modules, just for the fun of it. Is there any significant difference in sound quality between the two?

I will be using Hypex' own switched PSU in any case.
I have some early version UcD180 but my modified $45 Tripath TK2050 amps with $45 MeanWell SMPS sound much better. $100 for two stunning channels. An ST517b output chip version running at 48v from 41Hz or hifimediy can give the Tripath sound along with some real power.

Transparency

"Much better" in what respect?

The Tripath 2050 is more transparent and has better see through detail in a deeper sound stage. Best amps I have ever had home. And cheap. Explosive dynamics. Sound much more powerful than the specs. The new UcD with upgrade opamp are supposed to be better than the older ones that I have though.

MeanWell SMPS

Those SMPS are usually designed with DC current usage in mind (obviously) - meaning - we do not get the AC peak currents needed for audio amps unless we calculate for some heavy power headroom.

So - the wattage spec'ed is somehow misleading as we have to go after the max current load of those SMPS

Michael

The MeanWell SMPS are the current steal of all high end DIY at the give away price that they are selling for right now. 350 watts continuous for $45 will crush any amp chips. They sound way better than my big linear supplies. Explosive. If you need bipolar supplies you will use two of them for 700 watts/ 30 amps continuous +-36v. Peak rating is much higher. They are tightly regulated and adjustable for +- 15% of nominal voltage.

Modified Sure 2x100

Do you use the dual or quad Tripath 20150 board and what SMPS MeanWell type exactly are you combining with this ?

Michael
I use modified Sure 2X100. Dayton foil input caps. Wurth XXL coils. Passive cooling. Meanwell S-350-36 SMPS. I haven't tried the newer 90KHz switching SE-320 Meanwells which may have a technical advantage via the higher rate. The S-350 sound fantastic.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/clas...-tripath-board-tc2000-tp2050.html#post1821941

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/164274-new-tk2050-board.html#post2138868
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/162765-coil-pile.html#post2111097

Misspoke

Not sure - with 36V and 30 A continuous current (!!!) - how you ever will get to 350W ?

But anyway - it sounds as if you got a hot deal - those I found are spec'ed around 3A to 6A (48V) in the price range of EUR 50.- each.

Michael

Sorry I misspoke. Running two Meanwells in series to get +-36 would still be 10amps rating each leg for 700 watts. They are available on ebay in voltages of 24,27,30,36,and 48v for 350 watts. S-350-36 ect. The 24v model is 14.7 amps

Warping

The 4X100 used to have a problem with warping of the daugter board causing the two outer output chips to fail but it seems that has been resolved along with the dc offset issue as I don't read about either problem that much anymore.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/clas...100w-class-d-amplifier-board.html#post1904009

without yokes wood is still a nice insulating material to work with mine was 16euro for paint and aluminium plate.
And look now like this.
Yamaha.jpg

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

you see no difference.
205123d1294859102-hypex-ucd180hg-hxr-400hg-hxr-schermafbeelding-2011-01-12-om-20.02.25.jpg

This also goos for the sound its makes and it makes DIY fun again. Fast to build great result and 600euro saved.

Metal is cheap to produce with for a manufaturer. I Like wood and do see a real advantage in the reduce unwanted parasitic capacitors in the amp.

I like yours Helmuth, but I love the Yamaha's :cool: especially the black one.

David

This may have been asked and answered, but hopefully someone can briefly answer it again,

What's the difference between the Hypex UcD180HG and the UcD180ST? I appears the ST is older but the spec sheets look the same. I can get the ST for $100 and the HG is $170. If someone knows where I can buy them in the US for less please let me know. I don't want to spend the extra $70 x 2 on the HG if the ST sounds the same.

I'm new to class D but I've read the theory and the articles by Bruno Putzeys and it looks pretty cool. Very different from what I'm used to.

Thanks.

HG

This may have been asked and answered, but hopefully someone can briefly answer it again,

What's the difference between the Hypex UcD180HG and the UcD180ST? I appears the ST is older but the spec sheets look the same. I can get the ST for $100 and the HG is $170. If someone knows where I can buy them in the US for less please let me know. I don't want to spend the extra $70 x 2 on the HG if the ST sounds the same.

I'm new to class D but I've read the theory and the articles by Bruno Putzeys and it looks pretty cool. Very different from what I'm used to.

Thanks.

HG has a better Analog Devices opamp and better voltage regulators to make it stable.

HG has a better Analog Devices opamp and better voltage regulators to make it stable.

Thanks. Looking at the datasheets it's now obvious. :)

The specs indicate a ripple rejection of 65dB on "either rail". That sounds pretty good.

But how closely do the rails need to be balanced? If I use a +40.2V/-39.8V supply will it cause problems?

I can't believe that all I need to do is build a PS and for $100 each I can get 180WRMS amp modules that have typically 0.01% distortion at 90WRMS (half power), weigh 5 1/2 oz., and are 90% efficient.

I'm buying them right now and I'll figure out the power supply later. I don't think I'm going to hear the difference in the ST and the HG. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the specs the same? The only difference in the specs is the input voltage range on the supply. The ST shuts down at 52V and the HG at 56V, and the HG has the provision for the regulators, and the better op-amp, but sonically, if you can provide the power it has the same specs. How can you beat the price? Did I get ripped off for $90 each plus $8 shipping for the STs? Does the HG really sound better if I can make a stable ripple free supply?

Last edited:
The MeanWell SMPS are the current steal of all high end DIY at the give away price that they are selling for right now. 350 watts continuous for $45 will crush any amp chips. They sound way better than my big linear supplies. Explosive. If you need bipolar supplies you will use two of them for 700 watts/ 30 amps continuous +-36v. Peak rating is much higher. They are tightly regulated and adjustable for +- 15% of nominal voltage.

I just picked up two 48 volt 350 watt Meanwells on ebay for $100 ($50 ea.) shipped to my door. Awesome deal. Thanks for the tip. My Hypex UcD180ST will be pushed to the limit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.