Hypex SMPS - When Is It Coming? Alternatives?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
mindwipe said:

Jan-Peter,

If applying DC to this input before power is no problem; I have another question.... I'm planning a stereo poweramp with an automatic power-on/off.

The plan: if there's an input signal, a relais switches on power to the smsps400. a while after the standby-voltage is made low to softstart the smps. If audio is gone, after 10 minutes the amp should be turned off. First, the standby-signal is put high, and after a while the relais disconnects the smsps400 from mains.
See attachment.

What Ton and Toff should I be thinking of?

I will pass your question to our seniour support engineer, come back next week!

Jan-Peter

Jan-Peter said:

Hereby the updated datasheet: http://www.hypex.nl/docs/SMPS400_67_47_37.pdf

We are running a pre-production batch and everythings looks fine.

I plan to release the SMSP 400 in a couple of weeks now!

Sales will be roughly around € 100,00 ex. VAT.

Regards,

Jan-Peter

Arrgghhh, I made an error in the pricing...:bawling:

It should be roughly around € 125,00 ex. VAT!!

Sorry for the error.....:angel:

Jan-Peter

avr300 said:
Will that cause a pricedrop of the 180 ?

No, the SMPS 180 is a completely different SMPS. The SMPS 180 is with a PFC, so the output voltage is stabalised with mains voltages between 100V and 250V.

The SMPS 400 (and upcomming SMPS 1200 and 3000!) is an unregulated SMPS. However with synchronical rectifying to avoid power supply pumping problems. Please the read the datasheet for all details.

Jan-Peter

Jan Peter, I still don't see how it can work with UcD400: UcD400 shuts down at 68V and SMSP400-67 has 67V output with 230V in, with output proportional to input voltage.
It means that SMSP400-67 reaches 68V (UcD400 limit) with an input of just 233,4 V.

Isn't much safer to regulate it for an output of 62V @230Vin, so that it should reach 67,4V @250Vin ?

Input voltage is not perfectly regulated at 230V, but guaranteed only between +/-10% by power companies (at least in Italy, but I don't think it makes a big difference elsewhere).

In places with a lot of industries, for example, 250+V are easily reached during weekends, when industries don't absorb their average power load.

Best regards

Riccardo

Grifondoro said:
Jan Peter, I still don't see how it can work with UcD400: UcD400 shuts down at 68V and SMSP400-67 has 67V output with 230V in, with output proportional to input voltage.
It means that SMSP400-67 reaches 68V (UcD400 limit) with an input of just 233,4 V.

Isn't much safer to regulate it for an output of 62V @230Vin, so that it should reach 67,4V @250Vin ?

Input voltage is not perfectly regulated at 230V, but guaranteed only between +/-10% by power companies (at least in Italy, but I don't think it makes a big difference elsewhere).

In places with a lot of industries, for example, 250+V are easily reached during weekends, when industries don't absorb their average power load.

Best regards

Riccardo
The overvoltage protection of the current UcDxxxST/HG/OEM modules will be matched with he upcomming SMPS modules.

Jan-Peter

Grifondoro said:
Jan Peter, I still don't see how it can work with UcD400
<SNIP>

If you read the latest document that Jan-Peter kindly linked, you'd see that there are 3 versions with the following output voltages: 67, 47 and 37. Presumably the 47V model is suitable for the UcD400.

A shame the price isn't actually € 100,00! Maybe a special, limited introductory offer for diyAudio subscribers Jan-Peter? ;)

Well it was worth a try. :)

Jan Peter:

I am looking forward to the new SMPS400/67/47/37.

I plan to build a dual mono UcD 400.

I have downloaded the SMPS PDF spec sheet.

A piece of data that is missing is the current sourcing capabilities of the supply.

Would you be so kind as to post the current sourcing capabilities at each of the 3 voltages options?

Regards,
Doug

Doug Fraser said:
Jan Peter:

A piece of data that is missing is the current sourcing capabilities of the supply.

Would you be so kind as to post the current sourcing capabilities at each of the 3 voltages options?

Regards,
Doug

Hi Doug,

We do not like to disclose the current sourcing capabilities. The SMPS 400 is optimised to work with our UcD modules (or another half bridge Class-D amplifier).

The product combination is rated as follows;
230VAC: SMPS 400 + UcD400 --> 400W @ 20Hz in 4 ohm.

Best regards,

Jan-Peter

The truth is that class D amplifiers driving speaker loads with music may draw high power transients, but average power consumption is very low.

For example, my new amplifier plays +/-160V of strong bass music (full range) on 2.7 ohms (two cold voice coils in parallel, 15 inch woofers) and the power meter hardly goes over 400W, even with some clipping, yet the lights in the house dim due to the 6KW transients teasing the mains line :D

Power supplies for class D amplifiers are designed to cope with that power consumption pattern, but then power ratings are not easy to estabilish or to understand. Essentially there is a long term thermal limit, a short term current limit, and maybe another middle term thermal limit too.

Most of the people that buys these modules would have a very hard time understanding this, and particularly, comparing power supplies from different brands.

Jan-Peter

Thank you for the response.

The reason I ask is that my speakers dip down to about 2.3 ohms between 125Hz to about 250Hz.

One of the benefits of the UcD modules is their ability to provide a lot of current to low impedance speakers. This of course is dependent on the power supplies ability to provide the current to the UcD module.

So perhaps I can rephrase the question. Down to what load impedance will the UcD modules provide 400W when using the new SMPS?

Thanks
Doug

Doug Fraser said:
Jan-Peter

The reason I ask is that my speakers dip down to about 2.3 ohms between 125Hz to about 250Hz.

One of the benefits of the UcD modules is their ability to provide a lot of current to low impedance speakers. This of course is dependent on the power supplies ability to provide the current to the UcD module.

So perhaps I can rephrase the question. Down to what load impedance will the UcD modules provide 400W when using the new SMPS?

Thanks
Doug

bear in mind that a UCD amplifier also converts current, hence direct comparison of speaker current with supply current is tricky

best

Doug Fraser said:
Jan-Peter

Thanks
Doug

I don't see huge problems here. The maximum output power for the SMPS 400 is close to 600W for shorts moment @ 20Hz. We have tried two UcD400 in bridge to a 4 ohm load (bandpass subwoofer), indeed during hard clipping the SMPS 400 shuts down due to current protection for a second. But is hard clipping at 4 ohm in BTL, of course we do not recommend this....

Two UcD400 bridge for 8 ohm load works great!

Jan-Peter

Eva said:
The truth is that class D amplifiers driving speaker loads with music may draw high power transients, but average power consumption is very low.

For example, my new amplifier plays +/-160V of strong bass music (full range) on 2.7 ohms (two cold voice coils in parallel, 15 inch woofers) and the power meter hardly goes over 400W, even with some clipping, yet the lights in the house dim due to the 6KW transients teasing the mains line :D

Power supplies for class D amplifiers are designed to cope with that power consumption pattern, but then power ratings are not easy to estabilish or to understand. Essentially there is a long term thermal limit, a short term current limit, and maybe another middle term thermal limit too.

Most of the people that buys these modules would have a very hard time understanding this, and particularly, comparing power supplies from different brands.

Interesting project, how are you going to rate your combination?

Did you see the new Powersoft http://www.powersoft-audio.com/product_list.php?id_menu=213&obj=128 ?

I wonder how they are rating their product, judging the very small SMPS transformer I really wonder how they test it....

Regards,

Jan-Peter

Jan-Peter said:

Sorry, I missed that part!

We have developed our SMPS 400 for our line of Class-D amplifiers. But if your SS amps are fine with a liniear transformer/PSU they will be fine too with our SMPS 400....., with the advantage of lower weight smaller size.... :angel:

Jan-Peter

Hi Jan Peter;
After reading all the post I still do not fully understand the differences between the SMPS180 SMPS400 and the regular PS.
1. If Class D amps can accept ~10% mains voltage variation why is the SMPS180 stabilized?
2. If not why aren't the regular and the SMPS400 stabilized?
3. In terms of audio quality (Hum, Noise, dynamic response) is there a difference between the SMPS and the linear PS. If not is it your recommendation to always go with the SMPS?

Thanks

Eva said:
Wow... Talk about teasing... :D
Is there any chance to see a picture of this baby?
Thanks in advance. :up:

xenu said:

Hi Jan Peter;
After reading all the post I still do not fully understand the differences between the SMPS180 SMPS400 and the regular PS.
1. If Class D amps can accept ~10% mains voltage variation why is the SMPS180 stabilized?
2. If not why aren't the regular and the SMPS400 stabilized?
3. In terms of audio quality (Hum, Noise, dynamic response) is there a difference between the SMPS and the linear PS. If not is it your recommendation to always go with the SMPS?

Thanks

Hi Xenu,

it's very simple, the SMPS 180 is with a PFC and the SMPS 400 is without. The SMPS 180 has all capacitors on the secondary side to avoid power supply pumping, and the SMPS 400 is having synchronical rectifying to avoid the pumping problem. By the SMPS 400 all energy is covnerted back to the primary capacitors.

It's two complete different products.

Answers to your questions;
1. The SMPS 180 is stabilized due to the PFC regulation. Disadvantage is lower efficiency (single stage flyback converter).
2. The SMPS 400 (and upcommning 1200W and 3000W SMPS!) is designed to have as high as possible efficiency, at this power level it is not possible to use a single flyback convertor.
3. Liniear power supplies does sounds still very good, we have found out that if you have the EMI extremely low the sound of the SMPS can also be very good. Meeting the official EMI standards is definitely not enough to beat a linear power supply....sound wise spoken... ;)

Regards,

Jan-Peter

mindwipe said:

Jan-Peter,

If applying DC to this input before power is no problem; I have another question.... I'm planning a stereo poweramp with an automatic power-on/off.

The plan: if there's an input signal, a relais switches on power to the smsps400. a while after the standby-voltage is made low to softstart the smps. If audio is gone, after 10 minutes the amp should be turned off. First, the standby-signal is put high, and after a while the relais disconnects the smsps400 from mains.
See attachment.

What Ton and Toff should I be thinking of?

I do not understand your questions, you may choose the delays by your selve....

Jan-Peter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.