Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
@chocoholic: That was precisely the nub of the paper.
designing the amplifier must indeed be treated as an analogue problem. Since treating it as "digital" yields an unexpected and clearly suboptimal result, why insist on calling it digital and get all confused?

Hi Bruno,
...and it's the nub of the paper which makes me wonder.
Don't get me wrong, I fully agree that in 2012 the analogue solutions for class D amp in sum are more advantageous rather than digital. But looking at the breath taking evolution of digital techniques , I doubt that things will remain like this. And I am saying this as a mostly analogue guy...
I'd love to go on discussing with you, but OK - regarding ncore I am really off topic. If necessary we can switch to PM or mail.

Bye
Markus

@ Slow,
...I can't tell you how sorry I am...
If you are really interested in how the ncore sounds - buy it.
Or go to some guy, where you can listen to it.
Verbal descriptions of sound are a completely unsuitable medium for understanding how an amp might sound.
...on the other hand such verbal descriptions are kind of a social event, which I also enjoy. So, listen to it and tell us !!

@Markus, I said on several occasions that it may very well be meaningful to use digital techniques as part of the solution to the analogue problem posed by the power electronics. The evolution of ADC's will certainly take us there. The ADC feedback paper I linked presents just such a design. I think that's sufficient evidence that I'm not dissing the use of DSP techniques inside class D amps. What I have problems with is people imagining that the power stage is somehow digital. Treating the power stage as a digital system amounts to ignoring its analogue shortcomings, not solving them.

@the rest, I'm seriously enjoying you guys trying to guess company names.

Last edited:
Verbal descriptions of sound are a completely unsuitable medium for understanding how an amp might sound.

You could say the same about wine, but somehow wine-talk is more accepted than describing the sound, or "pleasantness" of an amplifier and they manage quite well with more or less standard vocabulary. You do get weird descriptions sometimes ("smells like a mixture of old dog and tastes like well used mop")

:D

What I have problems with is people imagining that the power stage is somehow digital.
100% agreement. :cheers:

@matjans:
Yup, talking about wine is similar to talking about sound.
Both are leading to strange wordings, I guess because words are not the
right medium to exchange such information.
But both can be nice social events, especially if testing the real thing was done together.
And such events become exceptionally hard to beat if sound meets wine... :p

...volunteering to participate a ncore listening event...
Having no ncore, so I should at least look for different wines.
Any ncore close to Munich?

The clue is in the second line of the product description. The box is noise insulated. It means you have acoustic foam inside to dampen the noise of the hard disks it is intended for.

That would explain it, thanks.
The trouble then is that the 6cm high but wider mini box also is called a "silent box". The first lines does read a bit different, but essentially I think they try to say the same: that they are noise isolated for HDD units.
Furthermore, if the picture of the 24cm wide micro doesn´t lie, it seems to be app. 4 times wider than it is high. That would make it exactly as high as the 43cm wide mini: 6cm. I think they have just have mix´ed up the height specification and put 8,6 instead of 6cm... Nevertheless, the result is the same, it is just exactly not usable for the smps :(

Status
Not open for further replies.