Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still believe that audio is sound - not engineering. Spookily enough, that's what the word means. But I have enormous respect for Bruno and all the other audio pioneers because by engineering they are getting us closer and closer to the goal of reproducing sound.

andy

It's just that engineers happen to design all of the semiconductors, tubes and integrated circuits used in audio reproduction equipment based on technical objectives ;)

The feeling put into the music by the musicians when they play is actually coded into frequencies and amplitudes, It's not a separate and unknown information channel subject to snake oil sellers. Their business is over since end of XX century.

If the amplifier preserves integrity of frequency and amplitude information, that's enough. It's much harder to preserve that information in speakers, and worse when interacting with walls, floors and ceilings. For years now, I have been testing my class D prototypes in a local club and in dozens of raves, with many kinds of small bands, jam sessions and djs. The feeling is definitely all in place if you do a few things right (multi-way eq and summing is actually what needs most work to get acceptable results).

Last edited:
First the disclaimer. I'm not sure if this Finnish folk album was something to be particularly proud of. I just happened to be there as a friend of some of the band. The only thing I knew was that if I'd let the original producer continue it would have been much worse which is why I decided to take over. Actually the guy was quite good at heavy metal but he didn't really understand folk. Also, don't expect it to be even remotely audiophile. It was done in a typical project studio of the '90s: Doubtful acoustics, a mackie desk, a stack of ADATs, one expensive mike and a lot of crappy ones and the best reverb they had was a Midiverb. The CD sounds exactly like it was made under those conditions.
Anyhow. It was Tarujen Saari's first album Helmiä ja Kuparikolikoita (Pearls & Pennies).

The speakers have four 6-inch woofers which have a significant amount of even harmonic distortion problems on account of some bit in the magnetic circuit that's just on the verge of saturating. So I turned 2 of them over. That helped quite a lot.

Last edited:
On a somewhat different matter than pure tech, here's my sketchupped "artists" impression of a case. As you can see, I'm not that much of an artist.

Turns out that a mate of mine has a CNC router (diy) that "should" be able to do aluminium and he was actually happy to test it out somewhere in the (not so near) future.

Still a lot to be done, but I'm aiming for a kind of Linn Klimax look. Really cool. Sort of a sidewalk-tile (stoeptegel??) meets fondleslab meets klimax-esque thing(y).

Try searching google images for the linn klimax. I especially like the "roofed" connector section at the back. Sort of a cross reference to Linn (who I think started it) and Devialet (yeah right!). Don;t forget to add KLIMAX to the query in google if you have your filters set to none (NSFW results). W in this case may also be wife (not that I have one, but hey gf is almost wife sometimes).

Very nice job mattjans,

I like the "roof" as well, you've managed to keep it quite slim.

Shame though, judging by the feedback so far, the community here is happy to spend €300 on a single nCore module but can't be bothered to stick it in a worthy enclosure. Obviously there are always people who do appreciate a nice chassis but the numbers are just too small. I can play around with the design, and I applaud you for making an effort as well but I don't feel as if that's going to change anything about interest.

Richard

Actually the guy was quite good at heavy metal but he didn't really understand folk.

I wonder if that's why their latest record is more heavy metal-ish? :)

(well, I guess it is just another Finnish band turning into the trendy "heavy folk", or "Nordic Goth" wave band, in the vein of Nightwish and Northern Kings)

The speakers have four 6-inch woofers which have a significant amount of even harmonic distortion problems on account of some bit in the magnetic circuit that's just on the verge of saturating. So I turned 2 of them over. That helped quite a lot.

Ah. A very pragmatic solution!

Also claims that PWM amp with switching frequency 300-450KHz can sound as good as HiEnd tube amp while some of tube amps have bandwidth up to 300KHz-500KHz is a an extremely optimistic approach (not realistic from a technic point of view to make it clear).

You are absolutely right. This is boring. Let's get out of here!
After all, there aren't enough Ncores for everyone at the moment.

Shame though, judging by the feedback so far, the community here is happy to spend €300 on a single nCore module but can't be bothered to stick it in a worthy enclosure. Obviously there are always people who do appreciate a nice chassis but the numbers are just too small. I can play around with the design, and I applaud you for making an effort as well but I don't feel as if that's going to change anything about interest.

Richard, I'm sure interest will rise as soon as the project takes shape!
I know I'm going to spend at least as much on my enclosures, I'm just not interested in a dual-mono setup.

On the same subject, I contacted HFX concerning the Micro Storage enclosure.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

In case someone is interested, they do ship without the logo so that's the good news.
Without all the PC-related paraphernalia, price is 150 euros each, so 300 for a pair of monoblocks which is affordable IMHO.
I know it's not going to be Hexateq quality stuff but it'll get the job done!

Bad news is that it's not tall enough.
Internal dimensions are 178 (width) x 212 (depth) x 44 (height) mm and, thus, fitting the SMPS600 in there is going to be a challenge, if at all possible..
HFX's support offer excellent communication, btw. Prompt replies, very helpful and friendly.

I'm still waiting on a custom case quote from VT4C. Will let you guys know.

Last edited:
Richard,

To go for volume, we may have to make it more generic so other modules can use this chassis. You may also design it as part of the class A mono block with only the driver board stuck in this chassis and then design a matching lower part for the huge transformer and caps.

With CNC, you can easily come up with a beautiful chassis in demand.

Shame though, judging by the feedback so far, the community here is happy to spend €300 on a single nCore module but can't be bothered to stick it in a worthy enclosure.

Not that we don't want our nCores in nice enclosures, but the issue is that we all have different constraints and requirements. I want to put 4 nCores and 2 SMPS's in one box that can't be wider than 38 cm, so I realize I have to find my own solution.

Bad news is that it's not tall enough.
Internal dimensions are 178 (width) x 212 (depth) x 44 (height) mm and, thus, fitting the SMPS600 in there is going to be a challenge, if at all possible..
HFX's support offer excellent communication, btw. Prompt replies, very helpful and friendly.

Are you sure?

I just had a look at their specs, and the wider full width "mini" enclosure is 6cm tall (outside measures).
HFX - HFX mini storage

The half width "micro" -at least the S1 I looked at is spec´ed to be 7,5cm tall (outside measure).
HFX - HFX micro S1

Of course their specs may be wrong, but if the micro IS taller by outside measures it should also be taller by inside measures (unless they are more different than the pictures indicate)

The small half width micro S1 could be quite interesting if it is close to 15mm taller both by inside and outside measures...

cheers,

Are you sure?

Well, they seemed certain about it in their email. :D
External dimensions had me "fooled" as well and I thought it'd be more than enough...
The enclosure is 24cm(W) * 8.6cm(H) * 23cm(D) according to the website but I guess the useful (internal) height is way less. :(

Width difference can be explained by the heatsinks but I'm not sure where those 4.2 cm's of height are wasted.
The acrylic part doesn't seem that thick.. Anyhow. It's probably not an option @ 44mm height.
Too much hassle with getting proper stand-offs, insulation of top and bottom panels etc.

Last edited:
HFX - HFX micro storage

I found the right one now

Yes they claim it is 8,6 cm tall by outside measures. It would surprise me if it should not provide an internal height that is sufficient, if it otherwise is usable... But OK if they who supplies it claim it is only 4,4 cm inside, they should know, but what the heck do they make out of the remaining 4,2 cm height? It doesn´t seem to make sense :)

Last edited:
Richard,

To go for volume, we may have to make it more generic so other modules can use this chassis. You may also design it as part of the class A mono block with only the driver board stuck in this chassis and then design a matching lower part for the huge transformer and caps.

With CNC, you can easily come up with a beautiful chassis in demand.

Hi Arthur,

I'll have a think about a "generic" monoblock. I will never get the 2ch and 4ch guys to agree..

We'll see.

Rgds,

Richard

are we done explaining that PWM does not mean digital? good.

so... it's not Meridian, it's Genesis? I know about the old UCD-based Genesis amp ($5000 btw) but couldn't find any 2012 CES report mentioning them (so far).
Mark Levinson and Ayre are american amp manufacturers that show up in the Stereophile report. something tells me it's not Ayre, as they have the house designer, Charles Hanses.

CES 2012 | Stereophile.com

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.