Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a professional.

I guess it is a question of definitions. I guess I was talking about people with an university background of engineering or science, who work in research, engineering or design, typically as part of a larger R&D team. The kind of people who are intimately familiar with ITU BS.1116 and 1534.

I am fully aware that this definition definitely rules out a lot of high-end "designers".

Recording engineers get a look in?

There are two main definitions of "engineer". One is "A person who is qualified or professionally engaged in any branch of engineering", and the other, very different one (and mainly used in the US) is "A person who operates an engine (such as a locomotive)". Recording engineers historically fall under the latter definition.

Not with the standard definition of 'engineer', no they don't normally ;)

For those who are not familiar, check it out here:

Link: ITU BS.1116 and 1534

Would me interesting if there were a few 'amateurs' out there who might like to comment.

Personally, if you want them, have them. They are not perfect. :D

But I admit they are a lot better than "shootouts" which honestly makes me cringe. They are even more of a lottery. :D

Not that I want them but how much are they.

I think I paid just under £500 (each for mine). Best piece of equipment I have purchased in a long time - beaten only by adding Dirac Live to my Casablanca. I have two and wish I had four. Especially in a UK context - smallish room (Versus, say, the typical room in the US), brick and mortar construction - they are superb products. Look nice too.

A bit off topic, does anyone have any experience of calibrating the voltage protection on NC500s? I'm still having problems with dropouts when using HxR regulators in the input buffer (no problem with the standard Hypex board).

I've read about 2 or 3 people who had similar issues with the NC400 and cured it with this process: Post 2746.

I can see that the NC500 has the same 5-pin programming header as the NC400 and wondered if the same process could apply.

Sorry to bump my own post, just last check if anyone knows if the microcontroller and reset functions are the same between NC400 & NC500 (and why not, NC1200)

Subjective and objective views both welcome...

Does the OEM who sold you the unit's not know how their product is implemented?

I bought NC500-based amps from an OEM with the Hypex buffer boards and standard voltage regulators installed. They work perfectly in this configuration.
When I substitute the HxRs (bought from Hypex webshop) in place of the standard VRs, I get drop outs after 30-45 minutes once the amps are warmed up.
Returning the stock VRs solves the problem. I will ask Hypex (as helpfully suggested by Julf) but if I have no luck, I will stick with the standard VRs. It's not the OEM's responsibility to support me on DIY projects, I think. Their amps in standard configuration already sound miles better than what I had before!

...there was an OEM who 'decided' not to make a Product with all the nc500 boards he had stockpiled...instead sold the boards off as DIY with substantial markup :)

Maybe, but they didn't sell them to me.

I bought NC500-based amps from an OEM with the Hypex buffer boards and standard voltage regulators installed. They work perfectly in this configuration.
When I substitute the HxRs (bought from Hypex webshop) in place of the standard VRs, I get drop outs after 30-45 minutes once the amps are warmed up.
Returning the stock VRs solves the problem. I will ask Hypex (as helpfully suggested by Julf) but if I have no luck, I will stick with the standard VRs. It's not the OEM's responsibility to support me on DIY projects, I think. Their amps in standard configuration already sound miles better than what I had before!

Maybe, but they didn't sell them to me.
Did you move the jumpers 6 and 7 from 12v to unregulated. That is a requirement when you use the voltage regulators

Status
Not open for further replies.