Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
hypex ncore

...and come on, the nc500 is cheap, but not 'perfect' like the nc1200 (purposefully in my opinion) :-D

Seriously if you used the exact same input buffers on both, you would probably have a hard time telling them apart. Don't judge them by the price. Technology has made it to the point (thanks to guys like Bruno) that quality this good can be obtained at this price point.

The 1200 is just for people who just need to have the flagship product. And will pay. It's for people who won't buy it unless it's expensive. Because without the price, you don't get the same "status" and "bragging rights"

These people avoid this forum like the Black Plague believe me. Let's be a bit more open minded here and evaluate the product before judging.

Last edited:
we are ALL tinkerers here

Indeed, but when we tinker with technology, it helps if we understand what we are doing - or if we use it as an opportunity to learn. OK, some people enjoy random tweaks, and there is nothing wrong with that - my only issue is with people who then make claims based on those tweaks. "I don't really know why it works, but changing the rubber feet on my amp from square to round made a night and day difference to the sound - I know, because I can hear the difference, it is so clear that no additional verification is needed".

JULF, you should just be happy with your music collection and listen to your music if there is nothing more to gain here....but I feel this is not the case - not intended as an insult ;-)
There is probably nothing to gain by updating my amps at this point - the major benefit was from *how* the amps are used. I went for active amplification using a digital crossover that really helps to deal with my somewhat tricky speakers. But at this point, all tinkering and improvements are in improving the crossover processing.

some of us know more than others (I still have a lot to learn) but we enjoy, in fact live for, the next tweak/development
Absolutely!

Seriously if you used the exact same input buffers on both, you would probably have a hard time telling them apart. Don't judge them by the price. Technology has made it to the point (thanks to guys like Bruno) that quality this good can be obtained at this price point.

The 1200 is just for people who just need to have the flagship product. And will pay. It's for people who won't buy it unless it's expensive. Because without the price, you don't get the same "status" and "bragging rights"

Couldn't agree more. The 1200 is for the "bigger is better" crowd. :)

Hehe what would put my mind to rest, is JULF getting an nc1200 and doing a DBT with someone else...then share the results ;-)

Stop worrying and have some faith like me, get them on order with IQ Speakers (Boggit) and relax knowing you are going to get superb sound at a bargain price.
I have not met Boggit but have had correspondence with him and feel quite happy that he will look after me and any other customers. He wants to make a living but he also wants to have a good reputation as well.

Hehe what would put my mind to rest, is JULF getting an nc1200 and doing a DBT with someone else...then share the results ;-)

Would require somebody to lend me a nc1200. And even then it would be hard for me to compare, as my nc400's are part of a 4-way active setup. A better idea would be for me to participate in (or help run) an ABX somewhere that has both amps. Yes, Hypex are in the Far North of The Netherlands, but it is a small country... :)

Stop worrying and have some faith like me, get them on order with IQ Speakers (Boggit) and relax knowing you are going to get superb sound at a bargain price.
I have not met Boggit but have had correspondence with him and feel quite happy that he will look after me and any other customers. He wants to make a living but he also wants to have a good reputation as well.

Yeah not gonna make it very far if you burn your first clients who have been corresponding with you on a public forum.

Would require somebody to lend me a nc1200. And even then it would be hard for me to compare, as my nc400's are part of a 4-way active setup. A better idea would be for me to participate in (or help run) an ABX somewhere that has both amps. Yes, Hypex are in the Far North of The Netherlands, but it is a small country... :)

The far north? In Canada we can throw a stone that far! [emoji1]

Haha the Coffee Shops 'over there' would invariably skew the results :-D

It would definitely skew the results, but maybe produce some wonderful subjective descriptions of the sound. Which is why I (just like most of the local population) tend to leave the coffee shops to the tourists. Unfortunately the music scene here is very much dance event-oriented, and that scene is very much driven by pills. :(

I am sure JULF would agree
A tiny request, if I may... My nickname is not an acronym, so should not be all caps (unless you are an AOL user :) ).

hypex ncore

There are wolves up there :). You have to realize that anything outside the Amsterdam Ring Road (A10) is "out there somewhere". :)

I was just there 2 years ago. I bought a 1965 Mercedes L319 firetruck in Germany, and drove it to Amsterdam. Actually final destination was Rotterdam. But it was a crazy adventure. The thing had a top speed of 100kph on flat roads flat out. On hills, 30-40 kph max. Perfect for German autobaun's. It consumed fuel faster than you would be able to pour in the carburetor with a large pail!

The first night I ran out of fuel in the pouring rain on the Autobaun by Frankfurt airport. It took 4 hours to get a tow truck to load up and take me 5km for fuel. Cost me 300 Euro as well.

Then on my way to a small village by Koln, I got lost for 3 hours in the dark. So I had to turn on my navigation on my phone for 8 Euro for 1mb! I used 280 Euro in data in emails coming in and navigation to the hotel!

Then next day I drove to Amsterdam. You need to understand how big and cumbersome this thing was to drive. It has no power steering, very loud, Very long and stiff clutch, and 4 speed in the steering wheel that was hard to engage. I forgot my drivers licence in Canada by accident so I had no drivers licence on me. And the licence plate was only supposed to be for Germany.

So my intentions were to be very careful. Although my plan was very poorly planed!

I had so little sleep that I forgot to book a hotel in advance. So I thought I would just drive downtown Amsterdam, park somewhere, and walk around to find a room. Well was that ever a stupid idea. I made it there at 7pm on Saturday night. It was so crazy there was a million people everywhere. There was trains, bicycles everywhere, people everywhere. I didn't even know if I was driving where the trains or the bicycles were supposed to drive, or the cars. This thing with it's 4 speed on the shifter manual transmission, with a still long clutch. The steering wheel was huge, and very difficult to steer at low speeds. I didn't know where to go.

So I drove around until I seen a picture that said parking. So I turned down this skinny little road. Well turns out it was for bicycle parking, and next thing I know I'm driving down the sidewalks in the Red light district! I couldn't turn around because there was very little clearance between the mirrors and the buildings. I panicked and kept letting out the clutch too fast and the fire truck was hopping up and down. Some people were laughing, and some were running in fear! All I was thinking is OMG I need to get the hell out of here!! So I ended up finding a way out, and driving across train tracks.

It just wouldn't end because there was absolutely nowhere to park this big beast. I ended up turning on data again and staying at the Holiday inn Sloterdijk it was great as it was very fast by train to down town.

There was much more to the adventure, but too much to discuss here. It was a great experience!! Very nice people in The Netherlands. :)

Here's some pictures of the firetruck. Only 17000 original KM! Original paint, windshield , everything.

1d9897d40a0ec7ff9a438ddf8cd87ef3.jpg

d3f0409dcfd933f9d9d94e599ced34cf.jpg

73fb692e05097429a6b2e6a23adeacf1.jpg

32f24315cf14bccac6d13204084bed75.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry my autocorrect on iPhone seems to make your name CAPS when I'm thumb typing!! 8-/

In that case, no worries - only reason I remarked about that is that there is a rather annoying character on some of the audiophile forums that kept capitalizing it on purpose, while reminding that it is used, as an acronym in American slang, in a not-very-flattering way... :)

I was just there 2 years ago. I bought a 1965 Mercedes L319 firetruck in Germany, and drove it to Amsterdam.

Ooh! Nice!

The thing had a top speed of 100kph on flat roads flat out. On hills, 30-40 kph max. Perfect for German autobaun's. It consumed fuel faster than you would be able to pour in the carburetor with a large pail!
I know exactly how that feels. This is one of my vehicles - it mostly lives in a storage shed just north of Amsterdam:

Isxvg5s.jpg

Thirsty as heck, max speed around 105 km/h / 65 mph if you dare, no power steering, and drum brakes. Oh, and no sound or heat insulation, so only thing between you and the V8 petrol engine you are sharing the cab with is a flimsy sheet of aluminium. :)

Then on my way to a small village by Koln, I got lost for 3 hours in the dark. So I had to turn on my navigation on my phone for 8 Euro for 1mb! I used 280 Euro in data in emails coming in and navigation to the hotel!
That is one of the better accomplishments of the European Comission, they are finally forcing the mobile operators to get rid of the silly "international roaming" highway robbery.

So I thought I would just drive downtown Amsterdam, park somewhere, and walk around to find a room.
Ouch! There are some underground parking garages, but they all have very limited height - and finding street parking is a nightmare even for residents.

I ended up turning on data again and staying at the Holiday inn Sloterdijk it was great as it was very fast by train to down town.
Not a bad move - schiphol airport would have been another choice.

Here's some pictures of the firetruck. Only 17000 original KM! Original paint, windshield , everything.
A beauty! Great find!

Code:
In that case, no worries - only reason I remarked about that is that there is a rather annoying character on some of the audiophile forums that kept capitalizing it on purpose, while reminding that it is used, as an acronym in American slang, in a not-very-flattering way... :)

Oh no, nothing of the sort Julf

Going Active I can see why the Amps would make little difference bècause you're not fighting a Passive Crossover!

I had everything prepared to take my LINN 140 Speakers Aktiv with a bespoke Aktiv Crossover, but the amount of cables and hardware and risk of exploding Tweeters put me off and sold all June this year

Active is the best and Amps play far less of a 'weak point' in the chain but too much fuss for me, having a Wife that wants to use it too!

Paul

Ps. I did try the Bass and Mid Aktiv and the difference was significant...I wouldn't be in the market for an Amp as McLaren's were more than adequate (but the PL200 in Passive need more) :-(

I had everything prepared to take my LINN 140 Speakers Aktiv with a bespoke Aktiv Crossover, but the amount of cables and hardware and risk of exploding Tweeters put me off and sold all June this year

Shame - isobarik speakers are great when tamed with active amps.

Active is the best and Amps play far less of a 'weak point' in the chain but too much fuss for me, having a Wife that wants to use it too!
That is why I love class D - it allows me to hide 4 channels of amplification in the speaker stand.

Status
Not open for further replies.