Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares"

If I'm not mistaken this is actually an area for Vendors

It is. It is also still the DIYaudio forum.

Please note that I was not suggesting any forum rules have been broken here, but simply pointing out a slightly amusing discrepancy between bavmike's posting and the line he himself had drawn.

I think I saw that someone was selling nc500 based monoblocks for 1000euro a pair.
That is 500euro a piece.
When a NC400 cost 340euro and a SMPS600 cost 180euro that is a total of 520 euro.
That is more than - if I have got the price correct - what a monoblock with nc500 cost.
So, instead of bying a nc400 you could buy a monoblock and build your own superduper input buffer?

Or Hypex markup (which is justified as they are selling it) on the nc400 ....which is probably cheaper yet!

That nc1200 won't cost much more to print out than nc400 or nc500 ...it's the intellectual property they are selling...hence why I stick to my guns that nc500 is a Marketting scheme; all the R&D has been done on nc1200 already

I believe that glue around the Caps etc. is there to deter people modding them, not really for Acoustic properties (otherwise that gum would be all over the nc1200) ;-)

Seems there are some nc500 boards "in play" because some people convinced Hypex they were "OEMS" developing products and were allowed to buy them. I have a set of nc500's, with Hypex input buffer boards and 1200SMPS's I bought from a guy in Europe for $1000US which he claimed he was selling at cost after deciding not to go ahead with his product......Now that we know what Hypex is selling these for, I know that was BS and that he made a tidy profit...I suspect others will do the same.

Last edited:
Seems there are some nc500 boards "in play" because some people convinced Hypex they were "OEMS" developing products and were allowed to buy them. I have a set of nc500's, with Hypex input buffer boards and 1200SMPS's I bought from a guy in Europe for $1000US which he claimed he was selling at cost after deciding not to go ahead with his product......Now that we know what Hypex is selling these for, I know that was BS and that he made a tidy profit...I suspect others will do the same.

If that is the case, it is a real shame, because I believe Hypex really tried to do the right thing in supporting the DIY community while developing their technology for the high end. There is no way I can justify the nc400 from a business point of view - the volumes must be pretty small, and support costs totally out of proportion. If you sell an off-the-shelf amp, you will never hear from most of the customers (and the ones you hear from will probably be dealt with by a distributor), but with a DIY product, you get all the people who might have over-estimated their DIY skills... :-/

Mr Julf, they are making a good profit, don't be fooled. This is also how they are making a name for themselves...it's all very clever way of gaining a strong territory as there are LOTS of competitors. They are reputable through people like you that are now Deciples of Hypex :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.