Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Mr Julf

Yes I do get pops up and down 'some' hills and definitely in aeroplanes. Potentially I could have some hearing issues - high frequencies have always annoyed me more than others in Audio. Some Supermarkets in the UK had high frequency tweeters in their parking lots to stop kids hanging around in gangs...I could hear these...but maybe not now as in my 40's hehe

Yes I do get pops up and down 'some' hills and definitely in aeroplanes.

It could just be a narrow Eustachian tube, but it could also be a chronic infection or something, so probably good to have it checked out.

Potentially I could have some hearing issues - high frequencies have always annoyed me more than others in Audio. Some Supermarkets in the UK had high frequency tweeters in their parking lots to stop kids hanging around in gangs...I could hear these...but maybe not now as in my 40's
Fortunately (I guess) I don't hear them any more - too many years in front of loudspeaker stacks, in small aeroplanes, on motorcycles and in military trucks have left their mark :(

We used to have a rodent problem in the house. Since starting to use ultrasonic anti-rodent devices, it hasn't been an issue - but we often have to turn them off when young children are visiting.

Possibly narrower tube as takes a week to get water out my ears after a dive underwater grrr

Anyway I still think these things can affect the way you hear things ...some days (mainly evenings, after 10pm) I think my system sounds great, but other times I wonder why I spent all this money and think adding a subwoofer to my TV sounds almost as good!!!

Possibly narrower tube as takes a week to get water out my ears after a dive underwater grrr

But the water would be in the outer ear - on the other side of the tympanc membrane.

Anyway I still think these things can affect the way you hear things ...some days (mainly evenings, after 10pm) I think my system sounds great, but other times I wonder why I spent all this money and think adding a subwoofer to my TV sounds almost as good!!!

Our mood, tiredness etc. definitely affects things...

I lived in a place where we had our own power plant. With my old audio alchemy DLC, bryston 3b, and B&W 805's you could clearly hear as the power grid got quieter. By 11pm the outside noise and power grid grunge was so low that you could listen at a whisper. When the refrigerator in two rooms over turned on it would drown out the music completely that's how quiet the levels were.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I lived in a place where we had our own power plant. With my old audio alchemy DLC, bryston 3b, and B&W 805's you could clearly hear as the power grid got quieter. By 11pm the outside noise and power grid grunge was so low that you could listen at a whisper. When the refrigerator in two rooms over turned on it would drown out the music completely that's how quiet the levels were.

Outside noise and fridges I can relate to, but how does "power grid grunge" sound?

Sent from my laptop using web browser.

Just checking - the way that is worded, it sounds like you are only asking for answers that confirm your assumption?

Not really, just looking for a stright forward response from those who know such things. Being an owner of the amps I can't imagine how anyone wouldn't think that they sound better after being powered on for a while.

Maybe a better way to word my question should have been:

How long after removing power from the amps would you wait before being brave enough to place your tongue on the caps without fear of being shocked :p

In any case, I just returned from the speaker demo using one of my single chassis Dual mono NC400 amps as the driving force on the new B&W 802D3 and Magico S3 speakers. I was impressed with how they sounded on the two speakers but as expected I dont think the dealer would agree with my assesment since he has equipment to sell and agreeing that the little DIY NC400 sounded very good would go against his bottom line.

Hi

I'm a bit curious about the different between the NC400 and NC500, especially as it seems that I might just get my hands on a couple of NC500.

We do of course have the clear difference on the NC500 not having a input buffer, ref. the manual stating "Unlike in many other Hypex products, no input buffer is present as manufacturers of audiophile equipment tend to bypass it anyway and design their own"

But if we look at just the power rating it's quite much difference in how they behave.
NC400: 580W@2ohm/400W@4ohm/200W@8ohm, THD+N 0.0007 % 20Hz, SNR 125, Power supply voltage +/- 75V
NC500: 550W@2ohm/700W@4ohm/400W@8ohm, THD+N 0.001 % 20Hz, SNR 135, Power supply voltage +/- 100V
And for reference and fun I throw in the NC1200 as well
NC1200:1200W@2ohm/700W@4ohm/400W@8ohm, THD+N 0.004 % 20Hz, SNR 137 or 124, Power supply voltage +/- 105V

As you can see from the numbers the NC500 actually drops in watt from 4ohm to 2 ohm, where the NC400 increases. What is that about?

Datasheets:
http://www.hypexpro.com/wp-content/u...tasheet-R4.pdf
http://www.hypex.nl/component/weblin...c400-datasheet.

Anyone want to comment on how to understand the difference between the NC400 and NC500?

As you can see from the numbers the NC500 actually drops in watt from 4ohm to 2 ohm, where the NC400 increases. What is that about?

The nc500 is designed for a higher supply voltage (and thus also higher output voltage), so it can deliver a higher power into a higher-impedance load (where the power is limited by voltage). They both have roughly similar current capability, so the nc500 drops down to the same power level as the nc400 when driving a low-impedance load (where the power is limited by current capability).

Not really, just looking for a stright forward response from those who know such things.

What you wrote was:

If someone believes there is an improvment in SQ when using an Hypex NC400 amp after its been plugged in and powered up for several days over the same amp just being powered on and attempting to listen to it stright away then please read on.

To me that does sound like you only want answers from people who believe there is an improvement.

So, do you want answers from people who believe, or people who know? :)

How long after removing power from the amps would you wait before being brave enough to place your tongue on the caps without fear of being shocked :p
That is of course a totally different question.

Not really, just looking for a stright forward response from those who know such things. Being an owner of the amps I can't imagine how anyone wouldn't think that they sound better after being powered on for a while.

Maybe a better way to word my question should have been:

In any case, I just returned from the speaker demo using one of my single chassis Dual mono NC400 amps as the driving force on the new B&W 802D3 and Magico S3 speakers. I was impressed with how they sounded on the two speakers but as expected I dont think the dealer would agree with my assesment since he has equipment to sell and agreeing that the little DIY NC400 sounded very good would go against his bottom line.

If the amp modules are plugged into the supply, it should drain the caps right away after powering down.

The nc500 is designed for a higher supply voltage (and thus also higher output voltage), so it can deliver a higher power into a higher-impedance load (where the power is limited by voltage). They both have roughly similar current capability, so the nc500 drops down to the same power level as the nc400 when driving a low-impedance load (where the power is limited by current capability).
Thanks Julf, that sounds resonable.
That means that for me, that have quite high impedance speakers the nc500 would be quite an improvement compared to nc400 (or at least have a lot nore headroom).
I was origianlly thinking about bridging two nc400 modules (using a SMPS1200A400 as power), but it seems as one nc500 with a SMPS1200A700 would do almost just as well with fewer components.
Seems like this guy came early this year :santa2:

That means that for me, that have quite high impedance speakers the nc500 would be quite an improvement compared to nc400 (or at least have a lot nore headroom).

Yes, at least headroom - up to 3 dB, depending on speaker impedance.

I was origianlly thinking about bridging two nc400 modules (using a SMPS1200A400 as power), but it seems as one nc500 with a SMPS1200A700 would do almost just as well with fewer components.
I agree, one nc500 is definitely a much simpler and more straightforward solution than bridging nc400's.

I agree, one nc500 is definitely a much simpler and more straightforward solution than bridging nc400's.
Briding add some complexity - but not that much.
For a nc500 build, compared to a regular nc400 build, you have to add a connection board as well as a input buffer board. I think the connection board is available to buy, but I don't know about the input buffer.
So the actual build of a nc500 based amp seems to me to be much more complex than building a nc400 based amp.

Anyone know if you can buy complete input buffers, or will you have to build them yourself?

Do you have access to an oscilloscope?

Sent from my desktop PC using a keyboard
I do but again this was 20 yrs ago on older gear. Most power transmission systems have been improved tremendously in the last two decades and so has the gear. However it is still possible that some one out in the world is in a situation where it is still audible.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Briding add some complexity - but not that much.
For a nc500 build, compared to a regular nc400 build, you have to add a connection board as well as a input buffer board. I think the connection board is available to buy, but I don't know about the input buffer.
So the actual build of a nc500 based amp seems to me to be much more complex than building a nc400 based amp.

Anyone know if you can buy complete input buffers, or will you have to build them yourself?

DIYaudio ! input buffers are about the simplest you can get !
Google it and see the images .
Hundreds of them !!

Cheers ,

Rens

I do but again this was 20 yrs ago on older gear. Most power transmission systems have been improved tremendously in the last two decades and so has the gear. However it is still possible that some one out in the world is in a situation where it is still audible.

True - it might be an issue with analog circuitry fed by linear, unregulated power supplies, but should not affect modern class D gear with switch-mode power supplies.

Status
Not open for further replies.