Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even my voltage source designed crosses speaker performs better with current source than voltage source above fs. Parallel crossovers are not too bad either as they reduce output impedance down low for the tweeter too so the only problem is that response changes which DSP can fix.

And of course active crossovers make that a non-issue.

And unless the drivers have mad amounts of copper in the motor like the AE ones for example driving them with a voltage source adds a lot of distortion making the low distortion of the NCore pretty useless and on my opinion a money drain. In that case the money would be better spent on a better speaker.

Do you have any measurements you could share?

And of course active crossovers make that a non-issue.

Do you have any measurements you could share?

Now that I have home I can share some:

The first is the NCore on an average driver (Monacor SPH-170, 6" bassmid ), no fancy driver here with massive shorting rings:

The second is NCore + 8 ohm in series, the third with 35 ohm in series.

The fourth is the same driver but with a F2J with ~ 700 ohm output impedance.

Here is with a driver that does have massive shorting rings, the TD6M:

First up is NCore, second up is the F2J: The difference is not there in this driver, if anything the NCore has slightly less distortion but most importantly the driver doesn't perform much better with current source than with a voltage one. The copper does eat a lot of efficiency though.

So for fun I also have 6x 6ND430 in an OB, far far more efficient than the TD6M as they have no shorting rings although they have very low distortion anyway. The result is the same, current source makes the driver go from having low distortion to stupid low distortion (above fs of course, this driver will not be used below 300 hz :)): The amp here is not a NCore though but another voltage source amp I had lying around close by.

EDIT: The first four measurements I'm not sure exactly what the SPL is but it is same for all measurements, same for the 2 following: 100 dB there is not actually 100 dB but same scale on both. On the last I calibrated it so 95 dB there is 95 dB / 1 m.

Attachments

• NCore-Monacor.png
    NCore-Monacor.png
    262.2 KB · Views: 434
  • NCore+8ohm-monacor.png
    NCore+8ohm-monacor.png
    266.1 KB · Views: 424
  • NCore+35ohm-monacor.png
    NCore+35ohm-monacor.png
    258 KB · Views: 402
  • F2J-Monacor.png
    F2J-Monacor.png
    260.6 KB · Views: 399
  • NCore-TD6M.png
    NCore-TD6M.png
    60.9 KB · Views: 404
  • F2J-TD6M.png
    F2J-TD6M.png
    59.4 KB · Views: 158
  • 2x 6ND430 Voltage source.png
    2x 6ND430 Voltage source.png
    268.1 KB · Views: 174
  • 2x 6ND430 Current source.png
    2x 6ND430 Current source.png
    268.6 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
very interesting, thank you OllBoll.
I really like the evolution in the first 4 graphs: 0ohms, 8ohms, 35ohms, 700ohms.
I did not expect so much difference between the 35ohms and the 700ohms versions.

Yup, it looks to be very driver dependant. Here we have the 2x 6ND430s with 16 ohm in parallel with the current source amplifier to get 1 damping factor:

2nd and 3rd harmonics skyrocket on the low end but the distortion is otherwise a mix between voltage and current source, the high end distortion is almost as good as the current source. This driver would probably be fine with less output impedance than 700 to perform well than the other one.

Attachments

• 2x 6ND430 1 Damping factor.png
    2x 6ND430 1 Damping factor.png
    204.4 KB · Views: 102
Bruno also replied to somebody who reported awesome improvement in the bass with the NCore. Bruno said that his statement was a hunch but that he was glad to learn that the bass was so improved for an actual user. Unless there was more reports one way or another I consider the advantage of NCore over UcD for the bass an undecided question.

BTW I agree that current source is a great thing, I suspect this is what good subwoofer manufacturers such as REL might use that makes such a difference acoustically.

Bruno commented a while back in this thread that the advantage of the NCore over the UcD is in the midrange and upwards. So unless you want to burn a hole in your wallet it would make most sense to use UcDs for both of those drivers and then use an NCore over 400 hz.

I'm just so sad they don't have a current source NCore, if you can get a hold of a current source amp for over 400 hz then you would likely have a better performing amp than the NCore.

Last edited:
It was StigErik, who owns a quite exotic active system featuring ultra low distortion in the bass frequencies. My own tests, in various (more conventional) setups, seem to confirm that the advantages of NCores over UCDs extend to the lower frequencies as well.

Nevertheless, building an all-NCore 3-way system can be an expensive endeavor, so adding some UCDs in the mix is a reasonable compromise.

Status
Not open for further replies.