Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to install a "standby" swtich for my nc400. A few questions here:

1) Will battery works? I use a 9V battery to apply voltage to the pins and it works. However, will a battery last long? I suppose the drain on a battery (when the amp is standby and voltage applied) is significant. I really hate having to change batteries very often but then battery with a nice little case is very neat.

2) If battery is not an option, will regular AC-DC adapter (like those used for charging our cell phones) work? They are very cheap and easy to come by. And I guess I can find a neat one too.

Any advice? Thanks a lot.

1) Will battery works? I use a 9V battery to apply voltage to the pins and it works. However, will a battery last long? I suppose the drain on a battery (when the amp is standby and voltage applied) is significant. I really hate having to change batteries very often but then battery with a nice little case is very neat.

Haven't actually measured it, but I don't think the drain is very significant - it is a high-impedance input.

2) If battery is not an option, will regular AC-DC adapter (like those used for charging our cell phones) work?

Yes, pretty much any DC adapter with a suitable voltage will work.

I'm looking to get a few more Hypex Amp modules to add to my DLCP to make use of all 6 channels (currently only using two UcD180Hg HRX)

Do you think for sub/woofer, XO somewhere between 150Hz the UcD 400's would be perfectly adequate? Or should I just save up and stump for the nCores?

Bruno commented a while back in this thread that the advantage of the NCore over the UcD is in the midrange and upwards. So unless you want to burn a hole in your wallet it would make most sense to use UcDs for both of those drivers and then use an NCore over 400 hz.

I'm just so sad they don't have a current source NCore, if you can get a hold of a current source amp for over 400 hz then you would likely have a better performing amp than the NCore.

Yes, but if he crosses actively at 400 I assume that he will use drivers far above fs where current sources shine. He does have a dlcp so correcting response wouldn't be a problem.

But why would a current source be better than a nc400 with a speaker with a "normal" speaker that is designed for a voltage source (as opposed to a speaker specifically designed for a current source / transconductance amp)?

But why would a current source be better than a nc400 with a speaker with a "normal" speaker that is designed for a voltage source (as opposed to a speaker specifically designed for a current source / transconductance amp)?
Even my voltage source designed crosses speaker performs better with current source than voltage source above fs. Parallel crossovers are not too bad either as they reduce output impedance down low for the tweeter too so the only problem is that response changes which DSP can fix.

And unless the drivers have mad amounts of copper in the motor like the AE ones for example driving them with a voltage source adds a lot of distortion making the low distortion of the NCore pretty useless and on my opinion a money drain. In that case the money would be better spent on a better speaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.