Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the analysis would show that you like big numbers. :)

With all due respect, you seem to ask us a bunch of questions that could easily be answered by reading the data sheets, but then refuse to accept our answers. Our answers are based on firm numbers and published data, your preferences seem to be driven by audiophile hearsay and a fascination with big numbers, whether they make sense or not. I might of course be wrong...

Anyway, just to reiterate, no, bridging doesn't bring any benefits in your case, the nc400 is more than capable of driving your speakers, and a nc1200 only brings more power - something you would only use when playing at speaker-destroying volume.

Having said that, it is your money, your speakers, your ears, and your warm, fuzzy feelings, so whatever makes you happy...

Attack is the best form of defence. I will not get into it.

Can you explain without attacking, why they use 2 nc1200. One is not enough for the mid/twetter.

Just asking...

Differences...

This is the Internet, so I am pretty sure there are claims of <X> for any possible value of X... :)

Despite claims to the contrary, I suspect it is very likely that the folks who hear differences from the NC-400 and NC-1200 modules are actually hearing real differences.
The modules themselves are different in circuitry. The most obvious difference is that the NC-400s use a discretely implemented input stage, and the NC-1200s use an IC opamp for the input stage. I do not think it unrealistic to have sonic differences due to the different input stage implementation.

Last edited:
Maybe. I must admit I don't hear revelatory differences between decent power amps when I have listened to comparisons Barrows. Just lucky I suppose! The Lanche appears to be an active system and is therefore multi-amped, but in any event their requirements or the demonstrator's preferences are unlikely to map directly to your's Theo. Seriously though, are you aware of the cost differential between the DIY and commercial versions? NC1200s are not available to DIY. If you have the money for the Mola Molas or similar, you really just need to listen to the options in that price range and make your own judgements, with your system. Seems like extreme overkill to me, but it's your ears and wallet, not ours.

well

Maybe. I must admit I don't hear revelatory differences between decent power amps when I have listened to comparisons Barrows. Just lucky I suppose! The Lanche appears to be an active system and is therefore multi-amped, but in any event their requirements or the demonstrator's preferences are unlikely to map directly to your's Theo. Seriously though, are you aware of the cost differential between the DIY and commercial versions? NC1200s are not available to DIY. If you have the money for the Mola Molas or similar, you really just need to listen to the options in that price range and make your own judgements, with your system. Seems like extreme overkill to me, but it's your ears and wallet, not ours.

I never suggested that the differences between the NC-400 and NC-1200 modules might be "revelatory", I just wanted to point out that there are circuit differences between the two modules which may account for the perceived sonic difference. I mean, we are not going to get to the old: "all SS amps sound the same" rhetoric from the old Stereo Review days are we!
Then there is the Mola Mola amp, which does not even use the OEM NC-1200 module at all, but a variation of such; I would expect the Mola Mola to sound different to NC-1200 OEM module amps from Ahtsa and Merrill as well.

Odd reply. I wrote that I tend not to hear much difference- but that 'maybe' there might be some. I have no idea what you hear, obviously. I'm not even disagreeing with you as such! Perhaps your expectations clouded your response? I might playfully suggest that an expectation of differences in amplifiers could lead to a perception of sonic differences- irrespective of whether there really are any? ;o)

Hmm?

Odd reply. I wrote that I tend not to hear much difference- but that 'maybe' there might be some. I have no idea what you hear, obviously. I'm not even disagreeing with you as such! Perhaps your expectations clouded your response? I might playfully suggest that an expectation of differences in amplifiers could lead to a perception of sonic differences- irrespective of whether there really are any? ;o)

Why is it "odd" to point out that there are actual, significant, circuit differences between the NC-440 and NC-1200 which very easily could be the cause of the sonic differences which people report between the two amps?
So far, every report I have heard from folks who have made the comparison is that there is a sonic difference between these two modules. Some here on this thread have suggested that folks hearing differences are likely imagining things, I am not sure why they would think this, and I, therefore, pointed out that the circuits are different.
I have no troubles with your experience of not hearing "much" difference. Quantifying such things is quite difficult though. A "small" difference to one listener may be a 'large" difference to another allowing for personal preferences and different listening contexts.
In any case, I would strongly suggest that anyone who feels there are not significant sonic differences between various SS amplifiers should not bother with the extra expense of Ncore, just build a uCD amp and spend the money saved on better loudspeakers.

It isn't that that I found odd, it was your assumption that when I wrote that I don't usually hear much difference, that that was somehow a criticism of what you were saying. I was just noting my own experience, not arguing about yours. Seems hardly worth persuing the discussion if even simple comments are going to get mangled! In the end, as I've already said, the op needs to have a listen for himself.

Sorry...

It isn't that that I found odd, it was your assumption that when I wrote that I don't usually hear much difference, that that was somehow a criticism of what you were saying. I was just noting my own experience, not arguing about yours. Seems hardly worth persuing the discussion if even simple comments are going to get mangled! In the end, as I've already said, the op needs to have a listen for himself.

My mistake. I did not at all take your comments as criticism, I was just taking the opportunity to point out that there are circuit differences, and that differences in sonic performance are not necessarily imaginary as some here appear to be suggesting.

Cheers Barrows. On amp sound I think I am agnostic, as opposed to Julf's athiesm! I respect his position though. Scientific scepticism is a good thing. My experience of listening to amps has been inconsistent, in that perceived differences I've experienced vary depending on context. In extreme cases this can be make or break, particularly if the speaker is tough to drive or has a 'creative' fr or perhaps a rather extreme bass alignment. The room acoustics may also emphasize percieved differences. I don't discount amps sounding different in themselves, but I am cautious of the difficulties in accounting for system interaction, along with psychological factors in any judgment. This is why I emphasize auditioning at home to the op. He may find significant differences or not, but if he takes the time to try out alternatives he will know better what his preferences and priorities are, in the context of his music, room and system, with his ears and brain.

Hello all,

I'm new here and having recently built an NC400 this seemed like a good place to come.

I have just the 1 NC400 which drives my centre speaker in my AV setup, it easily matches my Musical Fidelity M6i for quality which drives my front L&R.

Only problem is that I need to add about 6dB more gain in my AVR to match the level of my M6i, I know there is a gain resistor R141 but I don't know what I'd need to change it to, can anyone help me? Even if I just got a bit closer.

My full kit list is as follows

Anthem MRX 510
Musical Fidelity M6i
Hypex ncore NC400 (RCA to XLR cable from the MRX 510)

PMC OB1i - driven by M6i
PMC CB6i - driven by NC400
KEF Q100- driven by MRX 510

Thanks in advance
Nick

So I figured if people remove the resistor to reduce gain, then I need a lower value to increase the gain.

The standard resistor is a 1.2k micro melf, I got a 845 ohm mini melf from work, it's given me about 3dB extra gain, tempted to go a bit more as I also got a 681 ohm but I don't want to go too far. I should be able to squeeze the mini melf onto the pads, got it on some tiny wires at the moment.

Edit - Fitted the 681 ohm, only 1 dB lower than my M6i now so I'm very happy with that, unless anyone says there will be any detrimental effect.

Last edited:
I have a question about earth mains and my currenct NC400 build.
I'm building an AMP with 2x NC400s and 2x SMPS600 in one chassi.
I've checked the datasheet and it says to connect one XLR-pin to ground/chassi and that i should benefit from this using a XLR -RCA cable. I just have RCA from my PRE-AMP.
The PRE-AMP does not have grounded main to earth. I was thinking to ground the chassi to mains on my amp. Will this affect the XLR - RCA connectors? The scenario isn't in the datasheet, just with RCA and earthing. Will i get wierd ground-loops? I should add that the source of music is a grounded computer with USB-DAC connect to PRE-AMP. What do you think guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.