Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
have heard that bridged nc400 sound better.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

What methodology did they use to reach that conclusion? Double blind test? Or just first listening to a mono NC400, bridging them and then a few hours later listening again? Did the person who tested it pay for the modules thus at risk of bias in the sense of Post-purchase rationalization?

As far as I know the designer, Bruno does not use bridged modules in his Grimm LS1.

There is no rational reason why that would be, and I don't think anyone has presented any evidence that it does. You see/hear a lot on audiophile forums, most of it is BS.

Actualy I need a stronger ncore for my speakers.

Anyway, is there any schematic published for wiring 2 nc400 in bridged configuration ?

It is hard to read this thread from the beginning.

"The Amati anniversario was significantly more sensitive than average, at an estimated 91.2dB(B)/2.83V/m, within experimental error of the specification. However, the speaker demands quite a lot of current from the amplifier."

Actually, 3 ohms is not bad, but bridging won't help you at all. The Amati is already pretty sensitive, so you don't need any additional power, and bridging will only give you more voltage swing, not more current capability.

"The Amati anniversario was significantly more sensitive than average, at an estimated 91.2dB(B)/2.83V/m, within experimental error of the specification. However, the speaker demands quite a lot of current from the amplifier."

Actually, 3 ohms is not bad, but bridging won't help you at all. The Amati is already pretty sensitive, so you don't need any additional power, and bridging will only give you more voltage swing, not more current capability.

NC1200 would be better current-wise ?

Last edited:

An NCore can push a 91.2dB(B)/2.83V/m 8 ohm nominal speaker up to ~ 114.2 dB / 1m. Do you really need to play louder than that? And keep in mind that while the lower frequency drivers *might* handle that without melting they will most likely also distort a lot.

ADDITION: And if you do play that loud then you won't notice + 3 dB as your ears will get damaged unless you have a huuuuuge room and listen far far away. And in that case you can just move the speakers forwards a bit and get +3 dB in a much cheaper and more simple way. Then you get reduced distortion in the speaker too so it's a win/win.

Last edited:
An NCore can push a 91.2dB(B)/2.83V/m 8 ohm nominal speaker up to ~ 114.2 dB / 1m. Do you really need to play louder than that? And keep in mind that while the lower frequency drivers *might* handle that without melting they will most likely also distort a lot.

ADDITION: And if you do play that loud then you won't notice + 3 dB as your ears will get damaged unless you have a huuuuuge room and listen far far away. And in that case you can just move the speakers forwards a bit and get +3 dB in a much cheaper and more simple way. Then you get reduced distortion in the speaker too so it's a win/win.

The problem is -50 deg @ 68 Hz (plus 3 Ohms in general mid band). A nightmare for an amplifier.

Last edited:
The problem is -58 deg @ 68 Hz (plus 3 Ohms in general mid band). A nightmare for an amplifier.

A nightmare for a regular AB amplifier maybe, not for a class D amplifier like the NC400. It eats 3 ohm for breakfast. If you looked at the datasheet you would see on page 9 that they show this by plotting distortion into a 2 ohm load.

Last edited:
A nightmare for a regular AB amplifier maybe, not for a class D amplifier like the NC400. It eats 3 ohm for breakfast. If you looked at the datasheet you would see on page 9 that they show this by plotting distortion into a 2 ohm load.

http://v2.stereotimes.com/utils/tin...This=true&TB_iframe=true&height=430&width=700

http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2014/05/30/high-end-2014-lansche-audio-and-mola-mola-mythbusters/

2 X nc1200 per channel driving only the midrange and tweeter !!

Analyze it ...

Last edited:

That does not mean that the midrange or the tweeter can handle 1200W.

Far more likely is that that amp is outputting 1-10W, if the user wants his/her ear damaged then *maybe* in some extreme case up to 100W but no way no how up to 1000W.

ADDITION:

According to the specs then the speakers is rated for 30W - 300W, so as you can see it isn't meant to handle 1200W and even a single NC400 can push more power than the speaker was designed to handle.

Last edited:

Not really. Both the nc400 and the nc1200 are specified to drive loads down to 1 ohm (so your speakers are no problem). The nc1200 will provide more output current, but only at maximum power output - do you really want 1200W trough your speakers? I assume you don't have neighbours, and are not worried about hearing loss.

2 X nc1200 per channel driving only the midrange and tweeter !!

Analyze it ...

I think the analysis would show that you like big numbers. :)

With all due respect, you seem to ask us a bunch of questions that could easily be answered by reading the data sheets, but then refuse to accept our answers. Our answers are based on firm numbers and published data, your preferences seem to be driven by audiophile hearsay and a fascination with big numbers, whether they make sense or not. I might of course be wrong...

Anyway, just to reiterate, no, bridging doesn't bring any benefits in your case, the nc400 is more than capable of driving your speakers, and a nc1200 only brings more power - something you would only use when playing at speaker-destroying volume.

Having said that, it is your money, your speakers, your ears, and your warm, fuzzy feelings, so whatever makes you happy...

Not really. Both the nc400 and the nc1200 are specified to drive loads down to 1 ohm (so your speakers are no problem). The nc1200 will provide more output current, but only at maximum power output - do you really want 1200W trough your speakers? I assume you don't have neighbours, and are not worried about hearing loss.

Understood, Thanks.
I always listen up to 90-93db maybe less. The problem is not the quantity but the quality.

Last edited:
There are claims of qualitative differences between the '400s and the '1200s. Seems unlikely there'd be any, but if you can afford the difference and have a dealer with one of the commercial implementations nearby, why not see if you can borrow a pair and see what you think? If you already have NC400s to compare that is. One thing though- commercial products using the '1200s are a great deal more expensive than a typical '400 DIY build, so even if they sounded better to you, the cost to performance ratio is very different!

Status
Not open for further replies.