Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
then you would not have said that the transient response audio does not have a relationship with the psu
I'm sure you'll be able to find the post where I wrote that and link to it here.

worst case, I would think that it comes down to a combination of factors. I rarely see huge capacitance used in in well-received A/B amps. I believe that you are using the "change the goal posts" fallacy which Bruno once mentioned.

I am not attacking you, I am asking for facts and you provide relentless hand waving. I will keep doing it ad infinitum, until you start giving more that "haha", "everyone knows this" or "is not simple to explain".

moreover, coming to this thread in order to "embarrass" me... I'll let others decide what's that called. please, do it in the other thread, people here want do discuss about Hypex Ncore.

DS450M Class D mono amp has a power reserve of 1368 joules of energy, way beyond the power reserve in the Merrill Veritas or the new upcoming M1 amps from Hypex coming out in June. The DS450M has over 176,000 microfards of capacitor storage.

And the Hypex SMS600/nC400-specified output of 550 W for 90s corresponds to 49500 joules of energy. If we only talk about "reserve" (capacity above continuous power), it is 210 or 300 W (depending on mains voltage) for 90 s, or 18900 / 27000 joule - 14 or 20 times that of the DS450M. How's that for meaningless numbers? :)

The large block transformer, choke regulator, and the Class D switching device in each DS450M amp are in house custom designs exclusive only to Audio Research.

Is that a linear power supply? The "large block transformer" would imply it is.

why have used this big capacitors bank?

Because they are needed on a linear supply?

Remember that Bruno states very clearly that the SMPS600/nC400 combination has an effective power supply storage capacitance of 4700 μF, and recommends against adding any more.

The first thing to check for is a shorted output (maybe just a stray strand of your speaker wire?). If you are really sure there is no short on the output, I suggest contacting hypex, as there have been some nc400's with the overvoltage protection set to slightly too sensitive. It can be recalibrated, but it is a slightly complicated procedure requiring a stable and precise 3V source.

I,ve checked. Just to be sure i have completely disconnect the speaker wires an d still have the same problem. If there WAs a shorted output, ncores don't have a protection for that?

A choke for a 100/120 Hz linear supply is a very different (and much more restrictive) beast than one for hundreds of kHz...

Yes -especially if we talk choke input supplies. I'd guess that chokes after the first supply caps should be more comparable as I understand them be more about main noise filtration and damping of various HF artifacts from PS itself. Yes I know that the higher switching freqs of the SMPS should still require smaller chokes, but the switching artifacts might not be only the target.

Regarding the SMPS600 I understood Bruno to hint at the damping effect as the intention which would let me to believe that its definitely not a choke input arrangement. (Please correct me speculation)

The AR class D probably also features a cap input supply and use choke(s) to separate the capacitor bank into smaller and more controllable storage banks... This should also make the chokes magnitudes smaller and thus less intrusive. See for instance the Avondale CLCLC supply -not that I would recommend it for class D.

Anyway from the pics I've seen, I cant see any chunky chokes.
-More speculation I know. Anyway, cap input and chokes for damping would be my approach if I had to use chokes :)

cheers,

I think it is sometimes a good idea to put an RC-filter in front of the NC400 with certain kinds source devices. I have been testing R=510 C=10n (cut off at 31khz or so) filter now a while with M-DAC, which supposedly outputs very high frequency garbage with its Optimal Transient filters.

To me the sound is indeed a tad smoother and stable with the filter. I implemented the filter as XLR-F--filter-->XLR-M, so its removable like attenuator pads. I think at least its worth a try in some cases. Well, there ain't many mods for NC400 anyways :).

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1953635&postcount=165

Last edited:
How come?

If i have understood right and the frequency response on the datasheet is from the nc400 input filter (not output filter or the source device's output filter) and the response (or rather the filtering) continues with similar Q after 100 khz too, it attenuates the input around 20 dB near the switching frequency (480khz). The added RC-filter does preliminary 24 dB attenuation near the switching frequency.

Last edited:
My one amp channel is still giving me problems. Sometimes it cuts in and out, other times there is no music at all. However I realized today, when it cuts in and out, or goes completely silent, I can still put my ear up to the tweeter and hear the music, it sounds like it is playing an un-amplified signal.

My tweeter is dead silent when my good amp is on but without music playing. My other speaker that is hooked up to the problematic amp has white noise on the tweeter, and that is with the input cable both plugged in or disconnected. Also with the input cable both connected or disconnected the speakers will make occasional random "blip" types noises.

I've already talked to hypex support and I don't want to pay $120+ to ship the module back, so I was hoping somebody here may have some suggestions. From what I understand it is not OVP. The OVP will usually generate an audible clicking noise at the amplifier, I am not getting anything like that.

My one amp channel is still giving me problems. Sometimes it cuts in and out, other times there is no music at all. However I realized today, when it cuts in and out, or goes completely silent, I can still put my ear up to the tweeter and hear the muserzic, it sounds like it is playing an un-amplified signal.

This means NAMPON is being triggered. There is high frequency signal flow though as the NAMPON only turn the stage off and it is not a complete signal cut off.

NAMPON has to be zero for your amp to be on. Any "perceived" voltaged and the unit goes off. Would suggest clean up wiring before you send it back to see if the problem goes away. Or remove any wire connections to NAMPON on the NC400

This means NAMPON is being triggered. There is high frequency signal flow though as the NAMPON only turn the stage off and it is not a complete signal cut off.

NAMPON has to be zero for your amp to be on. Any "perceived" voltaged and the unit goes off. Would suggest clean up wiring before you send it back to see if the problem goes away. Or remove any wire connections to NAMPON on the NC400

The wiring that I had shown you when you were trying to help me troubleshoot via email has been removed. The only thing I have left now is nc400 input cable, jumper cable between nc400/smps and AC supplying smps, it's just the basics with a 120V switch on the back to turn it on. Still the same problem.

Good suggestions. Robbbby, how is your NAMPON (pin3 of the audio input connector, J9) connected?

It is connected to the shield of the input cable, which is connected to pin1, which jumps to the outer metal tab of the xlr connector and jumps to my chassis which is also connected to earth. So pin1 shield is common to nampon and the entire chassis.

Status
Not open for further replies.