Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the sounds of it, your power supply is or has gone bad. On the extreme side your speakers are dipping below 1 ohm or have a short.
1. Make sure all the cables are pushed in tight. Especially the control cable.
2. use clips or probes to monitor each of the voltages going to the Nc400 from the power supply. You can poke the probe into the top of the power supply socket to it will stay there and you can watch the voltage. Make sure to check the correct settings are on your meter. Do not measure the current across anything as this will short the voltages. For now you are not concerned about current.
2 - an alternative. Swap the power supply from the other channel to see if it travels. If it does, then it is the power supply. If it does not, then amp or speaker. Swap speaker - just in case. Then swap amp. Once you find it, if it is the NC400 or power supply, Hypex will help you out next.

Good luck Mr. Phelps.

Thanks for the recommendations guys, though at this time I don't know if I should breathe a sigh of relief or be even more worried.

I made the post about my intermittent cutouts last night and didn't do any troubleshooting. This morning when I woke up I fired up the stereo to listen while getting ready for work. Lots of cutting out and it got to the point where the left channel wasn't working at all. I had to run out the door so I shut everything off and figured i'd deal with it when I got home.
Fast forward to tonight after work and I again fired the stereo up, but before doing so I did a channel swap with my analog cables. I have balanced cables from dac to pre and balanced from pre to amp. I took both left channel cables and moved them to the right side and moved right channel cables to the left, I did this to see if the cutout would move to the right channel so I could rule out my cables as a start. It has been approximately 3 hours now and I have not had any cutouts that I have noticed. I did about 1 hour of sit down listening and have been in the same room for the majority of the other 2 hours. Everything seems to be working now.

So was it some sort of a cable issue (possibly loose connection?), that was resolved by simply moving the cables around or some other gremlin that just hasn't bothered to surface? I am a bit relieved everything is working but it's still in the back of my mind that something may still be wrong.

It also just dawned on me that I should swap monoblocks between channels to rule out my preamp or dac so I did just that. Moved the silent left channel amp to the right and sure enough now the right channel is dead and the left is now singing. Guess the next course of action is to now swap amp modules and smps.

It also just dawned on me that I should swap monoblocks between channels to rule out my preamp or dac so I did just that. Moved the silent left channel amp to the right and sure enough now the right channel is dead and the left is now singing. Guess the next course of action is to now swap amp modules and smps.
I had also occasional drop outs with my nCores. Since I have fixed the nAmpon-cable with the shield of the xlr-input, the drop outs never occured again.

I am about to order from Hypex now, 2pcs of nc400 and 2pcs of smps600.

How did you pay? It´s a ridicilous fee of 4% for VISA (all companies that agree VISA shall not take fees from customer) and 5% for Pay Pal.

Bank transfer is free, anyone paid by banktransfer? Is it a good way to pay?

I paid with bank transfer, and had no problems

I am about to order from Hypex now, 2pcs of nc400 and 2pcs of smps600.

How did you pay? It´s a ridicilous fee of 4% for VISA (all companies that agree VISA shall not take fees from customer) and 5% for Pay Pal.

Bank transfer is free, anyone paid by banktransfer? Is it a good way to pay?

All went well, now the amp is singing ! :)

Double checked all connections with nampon already and all was good. Sent hypex support an email, hopefully I hear from them soon, I really want to solve this, sucks not having music.

Just heard back from hypex, they said it may be the over voltage protection kicking in and that I need to apply 3VDC to a couple of the pins to recalibrate it. I'm also still stumped as to how/why this would happen. The cutout is very random, but now it appears that when it happens it cuts out the channel and it does not come back on. Sometimes it will work for 3+ hours before the left channel goes into silent mode and sometimes it is within 5 minutes of me turning them on.
Anyone have any insight to this? Also going to have to try and find a 3VDC source. I'm guessing 2 AA batteries in series are my best shot?

They did not tell me to use batteries, they just said "[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]You could try recalibrating it by applying exactly 3.0 V DC to programming header J13."

I did not realize how critical it was and that it would need a calibrated lab supply. I have no way of getting 3VDC and figured 2 1.5V cells would have worked.
[/FONT]

I did not realize how critical it was and that it would need a calibrated lab supply. I have no way of getting 3VDC and figured 2 1.5V cells would have worked.

I am sure that the only "calibration" you need is verifying the voltage with a multimeter. 3V is a bit tricky - the usual fixed voltage regulators are 3.3 and 5 V, but you could go for a resistor + zener diode, or if you want to go fancy, a LM7833 or LM317 regulator.

Have you built an RC lowpass filter in the nCore inputs? I did that today (R=390R, C=15nF), and it seem that in my case it was an upgrade. I have M-DAC as a pre-amp. The change was suggested by M-DAC designer.

Is this valid for all M-DAC filters or only for its Optimal Transient filters?

Because JohnW mentions these only -- pink fish media - View Single Post - MDAC first listen (part XVIII)

Standard slow/sharp roll off filters of ES9018 seem to have stopband low enough (<100dB) to do not make trouble.

Is this valid for all M-DAC filters or only for its Optimal Transient filters?

Because JohnW mentions these only -- pink fish media - View Single Post - MDAC first listen (part XVIII)

Standard slow/sharp roll off filters of ES9018 seem to have stopband low enough (<100dB) to do not make trouble.

I suppose its only for the OT filters. However John was rather generic when talking about the problem tho. Didn't mention the OT filters.

John's post:
pink fish media - View Single Post - MDAC first listen (part XVIII)

Last edited:
Hello, I have a quick question I was hoping someone could answer for me about the types of IEC AC Inlets that can be used for the NC400/SMPS600.

Would there be any benefit in using a 20A 125v type IEC for someone intending to build a dual mono configuration with 2 x SMPS600 & 2 x NC400 modules in the same chassis sharing one IEC Inlet or is a 15A Inlet more then sufficient to drive the Amps to their full potential?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Ooops...I forgot to ask a few more things in my last post.

Given the scenario I described in my previous post where the build is a Dual Mono type in the same chassis, what is the best way to connect the ground wires from the NC400 modules? Should each NC400 be grounded to the metal foot of its partner SMPS600 amp that is feeding it or should a more "common" ground be established that ties both NC400's & both SMPS600's to a central point?

Is it safe to assume that the XLR Inputs should just be grounded directly to the back panel near where they enter the chassis?

Lastly, is anyone NOT grounding the IEC Input to the chassis at all and if so, is this a safe method to use (ie... not getting shocked when hands touch the chassis)? Is this a good approach to lower the chances of ground loops entering the signal chain?

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.