Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
After some more listening my feeling says that there are no differences in bass tightness. They are both equally thight, but the bass is indeed more lean than the linn. As mentioned before I tend to like the linn more whenI have listened to them for quite some time. When changing to the ncores and then after some extensive listening I tend to like them more. I think they are both great amps, yet the ncores are a lot cheaper. The ncores are a little more honest to akoustic recordings.

I Noticed that that you always have a answer ready somewhere in one of your drawers. Perhaps there is also a babelfish in one of your drawers which is able to translate the differences in feelings and abilities to descriptions from me and other readers.

READ: mid and high are better compared to another great amp.
yes I do post a lot on this thread but I don't see how that has anything to do with the question.
sound is hard to describe as it is, as soon as we start to invent terms that no one else can relate to reviews become totally useless. what would you say if I wrote that my UCD's sounded yellowish?

yes I do post a lot on this thread but I don't see how that has anything to do with the question.
sound is hard to describe as it is, as soon as we start to invent terms that no one else can relate to reviews become totally useless. what would you say if I wrote that my UCD's sounded yellowish?

Well some people do indeed see colors when hearing sounds.
Terms are being (re)-invented since we started talking to each other. I`m sure lots of people do understand my terms. If not, feel free to ask for a explanation.

Well some people do indeed see colors when hearing sounds.
Terms are being (re)-invented since we started talking to each other. I`m sure lots of people do understand my terms. If not, feel free to ask for a explanation.
yes, I got the jist of your original comments

When we're describing subtle nuances in sound our vocabulary becomes subjective too - quite rightly. If we can use a common vocabulary then it helps, but if not then, as you said, we can always civilly ask for further explanation :)

After some more listening my feeling says that there are no differences in bass tightness. They are both equally thight, but the bass is indeed more lean than the linn.

I can't compare to a Linn amplifier, but the NCore seems to have more bass in my situation. I suspect that it will depend greatly on the speaker (impedance).

For example with the NCore + Quad ESL 989 the bass is stupendous. Like adding a subwoofer.

Adding a tube preamp could be very nice indeed, for those who like the 'tube sweetness'. The NCore will allow you to hear exactly what the preamp is doing. The tube output stage of my CD player in combination with the NCore sounds absolutely fantastic!

ok then, I lied. my UCDs sound extremely red :)

on another note... I have two pairs of XLR connectors and one is without the lock mechanism and doesn't have the metal shell. for convenience I prefer this one because it's easier to connect/disconnect the cable. is there any reason I shouldn't use it and go for the regular one with the shell?

I can't compare to a Linn amplifier, but the NCore seems to have more bass in my situation. I suspect that it will depend greatly on the speaker (impedance).

For example with the NCore + Quad ESL 989 the bass is stupendous. Like adding a subwoofer.

Adding a tube preamp could be very nice indeed, for those who like the 'tube sweetness'. The NCore will allow you to hear exactly what the preamp is doing. The tube output stage of my CD player in combination with the NCore sounds absolutely fantastic!
I am using a Linn exotik as preamp. The bass is not too thin, but it is more lean than with the Linn. At this point I`m not sure what works better for me.
I agree on the speaker part.. Changing to other speakers changes a lot to the sound. More then changing other components.

Maybe your temp speakercable sounds a bit skinny? I guess your bass wil sound better with the SCS12.
I`ll find out in a week or two.

Last edited:
Do we have an estimate of current requirements from the aux supply?
Would ~250mA per rail be adequate?

Nevermind, it's actully in the datasheet. :eek:

On the enclosure front, just a quick update that we've increased Group Buy enclosure dimensions to 220x220x120 (204x204x112 internal dimensions), to better accommodate alternative power supplies and/or dual-mono (2xNC400 + 2xSMPS) and/or multichannel setups.

Attachments

• NC400.JPG
    NC400.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 607
Apologies if this question has been asked before (though I've read almost all the previous posts and didn't spot it), but has anyone measured the NCores' distortion performance on an actual speaker load? Most of the measurements in the datasheet seems to be based on a 4 ohm resistor as a load.

Apologies if this question has been asked before (though I've read almost all the previous posts and didn't spot it), but has anyone measured the NCores' distortion performance on an actual speaker load? Most of the measurements in the datasheet seems to be based on a 4 ohm resistor as a load.

How would you know the origin of the distortion? A dummy load is good for stability and thermal testing under stress, not much else.

How would you know the origin of the distortion? A dummy load is good for stability and thermal testing under stress, not much else.

Why - wouldn't distortion would still be measured as a % of the output voltage at the amp terminals, not as a % of acoustic output.

Oh, and Bruno - I meant to thank you earlier taking the time to explain cabling/grounding a few weeks ago.

RCA plugs have only two circuits. There is no arrangement of wires between two RCA plugs that will make it three. Whatever wire connects the two ring contacts will serve two purposes at once (connecting the chassis and transmitting the reference zero potential that is one half of the signal), thereby letting both functions interfere with eachother. The very popular "pseudo balanced" cable arrangement you're referring to is based on the belief that the conflict is between shielding and grounding. It is not. There is no conflict between shielding and grounding. The two are almost made for eachother. There is however a serious conflict between transmitting the zero potential and grounding. That's the one nobody is ever going to solve with only one circuit to do both.

Mixes with. The effect is slight when the cable is driven by a low impedance sources but with a high impedance source or no source it's quite easy to hear the effect of rubbing or tapping on a cable. But there's an important message here. The effect goes away when the cable is shorted because the charge caused by mechanical vibrations can directly equalize through the short. There is a reason why esoteric cables are more prevalent in consumer high-end audio: preamps with high output impedances are also more common there. Once again you see how this market stimulates its own follies.

Correct. There are other methods too to make flexible low-noise cables but making the whole thing rock solid is one way.

Yes! You're almost there!!! Now, consider that the differential input of the NC400 can also be called a floating input. So the floating you're asking for is not done at the amplifier ground but at the input.

All the info you need is in the data sheets. The NC400 has somewhat lower distortion & output impedance than the NC1200 and it's got de luxe discrete input buffers. Otherwise the NC1200 has about 40% more voltage and current reserve and that's pretty much all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.