Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bruno,
can you be more specific on what "opposing" means here? Maybe a sketch to help ?
Thanks
look at the pics in the 6moons report.
angled fork lugs are not that easy to source and one might think about connecting straight ones on opposing sides, unlike Bruno did. that issue occured to me before, I'm not sure the lugs can withstand bending.

LE: I did the work for you

Attachments

• lugs.jpg
    lugs.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 896
Last edited:
Ok, clear now. If I do not find angled forks, I will try to fit the cable directly into the connector coming from the same side as the forks shown on the picture.

What if I want to biwire ? Both cables arriving from the same direction but connected on different sides of the screw, so basically as the two spades of the fork ?

Thanks

I take it that Y capacitors are unacceptable for electrical/technical reasons (rather than philosophical reasons :) )?
can someone provide me with a pointer to an explanation why please?

I'm happy to understand for myself but not too sure where to start searching for an answer to this.

What if an adjacent component has a filter which has Y capacitors, is this a problem?

well, what is it doing?

its shunting hf garbage to the chassis.

If you want to remove garbage (not a bad thing) then you need to do it in a fashion that doesn't interfere with the cleanliness of the following equip. In this case Bruno is recommending that you run without chassis conn to the 3rd pin (on the AC conn). Using a Y cap filter defeats this isolation from the dirt.

Using an external filter may give you cleaner power, but you need to remember the current draw of the amp, you want a low series impedance to not interfere with power delivery. As always with engineering its a multitude of trade-offs of factors.

Alan Garren

I'm a bit confused by this. If using balanced XLR inputs I thought the chassis should be earthed. I guess this could be using the earth from the XLR (assuming the component at the other end is earthed), the 3rd pin or both. But surely if the chassis is connected to earth using the XLR earth only then that is connected to main earth further down the chain anyway?

This is an area (earthing) I was planning on looking at in more depth once the components arrive but I had been thinking I would be connecting the mains earth to the chassis, trying to ensure good connection between chassis panels (another thing to look into how best to achieve) and then possibly also connecting the XLR socket to earth via the chassis (I've seen pictures of a short wire to earth as well as the earth connection to the board). The SMPS is connected to the chassis by one spacer is it not?

I've also had comments that the post being referred to is from 2004 and filter design has moved on amongst other reasons why another filter might not be such a bad thing but I do not have the knowledge/expertise for forward those arguments (unfortunately). That said, if I fit a filter/IEC I can replace it with a standard IEC as the drill hole spacing is the same (filter cut out fractionally larger but would be covered by IEX flange if replacing).

Please bear in mind I have exremely limited knowledge in any responses. If it helps I will be building a pair of monoblocks connected to a Benchmark DAC1 HDR (which I understand to be properly grounded).

Hi,
if "Y" capacitors are present, this means that the filter is balanced type. then it requires an earth connection. if the filter emi, is unbalanced as eg CD player. then does not require connection to earth.
you have assumed the filter emi-balanced, there is no connection between the earth and the gnd amplifier (if the power supply is done well), I do not understand what is the reason that "Y" caps is good or not good. it is a new? Obvius that "Y"capacitance value, is important, depeand the area of ​​use of the SMPS. as medical,home etc..

Last edited:
I too would like a full explanation as to why a filter using Y caps is not recommended.

I built two sets of UcD 400/SMPS 400 amps about two years ago. I enquired about fitting filters and was told none were needed. My experience in using these amps has revealed that fitting filters improves their sonic performance. Independant evaluations carried out by other owners have resulted in the same conclusion.
This was reached in two stages, firstly by using screened mains cable ( instrumentation cable of the correct rating) which in simplistic terms is a form of filter with values proportional to its length and the capacitance between LN and Earthed screen forms a Y cap. My conclusion at that time, given the layout of my equipment (14M long balanced cable from a Benchmark HDR, 25 cm Speaker cables) and the mains wiring to my amps two 5M Y legs to a common source on my ring main was that unwanted signals were emanating from one amp and adversely affecting the other and vice versa via the mains cables.
All of my other Hi Fi gear had input filters fitted.
The obvious extension of the above was to try a filter. Wary of the possible implications of peak current demands by an Amp and after some further evaluation with a range of equipment I opted for the schaffner 9244 series. Initially these were plugged into my amps as external units for evaluation. The result prompted me to rework the amp rear panels and fit these units as permanent fixtures. The above was discussed with Hypex and they gave me the latest version of the SMPS 400 to try. This differed from the versions I had with the addition of a PCB mounting hole designed to be grounded as the SMPS600.
I am not aware of the circuit detail of this grounding pcb hole as to whether it is the tail of a filter circuit doing what a Y cap would do, shunting HF garbage to chassis or whether it is grounding some screening.

It is of course possible to use a Y cap filter such that its earth connection is not connected to chassis provided it has an earth return via the mains cable supplying it.
Personally I opt for safety and have my chassis earthed.
I note that Hypex have said that the EMI from the NCore is much lower than that from the UcD but no mention of any difference between the SMPS 400 and 600--and perhaps of more relevance to me, given my own experiences is the " mains filter design" in the 600 the same as the 400 ?

I am awaiting my NCore modules from the Wk11 batch. I have made my cases to accept both a Filtered or Standard IEC but filters are in position ready for wiring.

Y caps: as have been noted, they capacitively couple the mains to chassis. In AES48 compliant balanced systems this is no problem because they keep signal and ground well separated. In an unbalanced system the leakage current will also flow through the ground wire or shield of your $$$$$ RCA interlink and thus add noise to the audio.
As such, Y caps are difficult to avoid, they serve a purpose after all (to keep rubbish generated inside the box from getting out), but what it means is that it pays to try minimizing them. There are small Y caps in the SMPS600. Since they wholly suffice, there is no reason to compound them with external ones.

Cabinets: we scrounged the demo cabinets off MM audio. We don't have a stock full of those to sell.

Angled spades: I got straight ones from Farnell and took my pliers to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.