• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Hypex NCore NC500 build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Smoked by my Apollon NC500 Monos on ALL parameters: The well reputed Spectral DMA-50 final amplifier, an Abrahamsen V4.0UP power amp (essentially an Electrocompaniet rebuilt by Electrocompaniet's founded in his new company). Also a NAP 250 DR brought by an acquaintance.

Mm that is interesting, I think my ICE 1200 is less sounding then my previous Electrocompaniet AW3x120.
In which area does the nc500 smoke the Abrahamsen?

closed account
Joined 2007
Mm that is interesting, I think my ICE 1200 is less sounding then my previous Electrocompaniet AW3x120.
In which area does the nc500 smoke the Abrahamsen?

Better staging (more precise), more detail, clearer treble, and also punchier bass. The mids are close, they are more euphonic on the Abrahamsen, which can be pleasant, but not necessarily correct. Returning to the staging, the Abrahamsen's was perhaps a bit deeper, but the NC500 is wider, taller, more precise (as I wrote above).

Also, the Apollon is a much quieter amplifier. I can put ears close to tweeters and hear only the faintest hiss originating with the DAC (it is a discrete sign magnitude R2R DAC, so there are about 400+ resistors there), and NO hum at all from the woofer. Since my woofer has a sensitivity of 97.8Db (Daytonaudio PA460-8) and the filling midwoofer (BC 8NDL51) 94, with the Abrahamsen it has some audible hum in close range. I understand that EC amps were designed for less sensitive designs, but the NC500 based Apollons are dead quiet.

What do you exactly mean by "less sounding"?

Also, what are your speakers? And if you have some nostalgia for the EC sound, my Abrahamsens (I also have the pre) are for sale.

Julf, part of the reason GaN is interesting is the switching speed, reducing the transformer size as well as increasing the efficiency to 97.8% for the TI unit.
The rest of the circuit, say from the DC/DC side, will be more traditional.

I get that - my point is that it is a bit futile to chase the last few % of efficiency on the switching side if you then waste a large part of it on a linear regulator.

closed account
Joined 2007
I get that - my point is that it is a bit futile to chase the last few % of efficiency on the switching side if you then waste a large part of it on a linear regulator.

No, you waste some energy anyway through regulation, but at least you are "wasting" less than before. Also, if the DC-DC converter is (1) switching itself and (2) GaN based, you probably waste < 2% of the energy w.r.t. to linear regulator. TO remove residual noise, put a CLC filter after that, and you have stable, regulated, and clean, green power.

GaN SMPS Round 2.

I'm back, perhaps with an update or just to check the interest.

I did some further investigations and found that Infineon has an interesting GaN SPMS.

EVAL_2500W_PFC_GAN_A
2500W full-bridge totem-pole power factor correction evaluation board using CoolGaN™ 600V e-mode HEMT

This 2.5kW CCM full-bridge PFC evaluation board utilizes the advantages of Infineon’s CoolGaN™ technology to boost system efficiency above 99 percent for efficiency-critical applications such as server power supplies or telecom rectifiers. The board features CoolGaN™ 600V e-mode HEMTs, CoolMOS™ C7 Gold superjunction MOSFET and EiceDRIVER™ gate driver ICs.

Flat efficiency >99 percent over wide load range
EVAL_1EDF_G1_HB_GAN - Halfbridge (DC-DC)
CoolGaN™ 600V e-mode HEMT half-bridge evaluation platform featuring GaN EiceDRIVER™

This 600V gallium nitride (GaN) half-bridge evaluation board enables easy, rapid setup and test of CoolGaN™ transistors. The generic topology can be configured for boost or buck operation, pulse testing or continuous full-power operation. Test points provide easy access to connect signals to an oscilloscope, to measure the switching performance of CoolGaN™ transistors and gate driver. This board saves the user from having to design their own gate driver and power circuit to evaluate gallium nitride transistors.
Hypex SMPS1200A400 is 92% efficient in comparison.

Sources:
https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/evaluation-boards/eval_2500w_pfc_gan_a/
EVAL_1EDF_G1_HB_GAN - Infineon Technologies

Attachments

• Efficiency.jpg
    Efficiency.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 216
  • Board_EVAL_2500W_PFC_GAN_A.png_1273462669.png
    Board_EVAL_2500W_PFC_GAN_A.png_1273462669.png
    867.7 KB · Views: 219
  • EVAL_1EDF_G1_HB_GAN_web.jpg_1304862384.jpg
    EVAL_1EDF_G1_HB_GAN_web.jpg_1304862384.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 222
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.