• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Hypex NCore NC500 build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No, you waste some energy anyway through regulation, but at least you are "wasting" less than before. Also, if the DC-DC converter is (1) switching itself and (2) GaN based, you probably waste < 2% of the energy w.r.t. to linear regulator. TO remove residual noise, put a CLC filter after that, and you have stable, regulated, and clean, green power.

OK, but why two separate steps of switch-mode regulation?

Page 32 in the 2700286 document covering the 2.5kW Full Bridge Totem-Pole SMPS.

Specifications: Vout, nom: 390 VDC - min: 340VDC - max, 440 VDC. I will assume this has to do with hitting the efficiency since switching times are related to that. So a DC-DC halfbridge is requiered after.

A small update.
Talked to Infineon and they can provide Gerber files for the SMPS and Halfbridge. Only downside is they want serial number. So, two units need to be purchased in order to go through with that.
Designing a 4-layer board for me is a daunting task. It can be done, but gerbers would make life so much simpler.

closed account
Joined 2007
I feel like we are going around in circles. :)

Why not combine the AC/DC conversion and regulation (as is mostly done in SMPSs)?

Fine, then design it. I am just saying that all of this is possible, and the current schemes you find on evaluation boards is multi stage.

I am interested in GaN devices at the moment for the size. Reducing the SMOS from, day, 169x100x50 mm to 60x50x30 AND make it cooler would reduce the size of an amp. Using GaN for the power amp itself would make great sounding miniature amplifiers.

At least me and mocenigo understand the future :)

Julf: My desire is the same, but you have to remember that the Infineon units are not designed to be sold as is, even if you can buy them. They are designed and sold as evaluation boards and for a 3rd party they need boards to be separate to evaluate them.

I can live with either. Redesigning and moving the halfbridge over to the main board should not be too difficult.

Brainstorming Purifi 1et400a amps

...While I cannot do a direct comparison, the little Purifi amp with the stock buffer NOT yet bypassed sounds so much better than the NC500 mono blocks (with hypex smps and a buffer with Sonic Imagery opamps) that I find it quite likely that it is not due to the amplification board alone.

Last edited:
Sound quality is the important factor. Musical quality is set in stone on the recording. Either a "musical" sound was recorded and the sound quality allows this to play... or it doesn't. If amp make something sound "musical" all on its own, then it's colouration. Whatever "musical" means anyway.

By all reports and by Putzeys own experience/design, the Ncores and the 1ET400A are not effected by differences between a linear PSU or Hypex's SMPS (unless of course the linear PSU is inadequate and causing distortion).

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.