• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Hypex NCore NC500 build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
He was BSing with his 'always' as AP see no issue with their distortion in their signal generator.

All metal-cored transformers saturate at some point, leading to distortion. Of course it can be managed by limiting amplitude to stay away from saturation.

523px-Magnetization_curves.svg.png

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Something I really like about Icepower is their use of 100% Nippon Chemi-con and Elna caps. Hypex has gone exclusively to Su' scon. I wonder if this was based on quality and long term testing, or cost?

Regarding my impressions of the Icepower 700AS, to be fair, it's not in the same class as the NC-500's. It's an all in 1 unit, and the price is much lower as well. The fair competitor is the Hypex MP-502. So far it doesn't work and after a week, no help from Hypex support regarding the issue.

Attachments

• IMG_0140.jpg
    IMG_0140.jpg
    525.8 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_0142.jpg
    IMG_0142.jpg
    595.9 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_0143.jpg
    IMG_0143.jpg
    563 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0144.jpg
    IMG_0144.jpg
    518.9 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_0146.jpg
    IMG_0146.jpg
    587.8 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_0148.jpg
    IMG_0148.jpg
    512.7 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
We had 4 evaluation units and 9 of our production modules shipped to us before Christmas all worked fine and with some great customer feedback.
We are hoping for the main production units this week after being delayed by a month.
I'm very impressed so close to the NC500 they are that good.

Well there's no reason they would be any less quality than the rest of the line up. Other than the reduced power, and non-bypassable buffer stage. However we got a dud, and after 8 days only 2 short emails from Hypex and no solution. Time is money and if we were to be planning a product with them it's being delayed by weeks. In the end they will probably say ship back. But with the cost of return shipping, and the time to diagnose it, probably better off tossing it and just sending a new one. But how many more weeks till we determine that?

Hello,
I'm considering using an hypex amp for a central channel application, probably combined with a subwoofer. The speaker would be a Sunfire crmc, which is 8 ohms and accepts up to 450 watt.

If that speaker is cut off at say 100 hz to the sub, would a Hypex NC250 (mono, may not be the exact module name but roughly with 250 watt at 4 ohm) be enough for those mid and high frequencies or would a NC500 sound better? Listening Volumes would not be loud
Thanks in advance.

PS: not asking about subwoofer amplification

Last edited:
You can better ask this question in the DIY Ncore section of this forum. This thread is dedicated to Nord's NC500 build. Even though the ncmp modules are OEM, one hobbyist is free to strip it from a purchased end product e.g. a Nord Amp, knowing you void warranty and support from the vendor. Just like i can strip de engine from my car, but as a result I can not count on support from the manufacturer.

Last edited:
about ncore ami

Hello!

since the general thread about Hypex ncore is terminated I wanted to ask here following question:
Is it possible to build the ncore nc400+SMPS1200A400 instead of the regular one that comes with the kit? Since this power supply is more powerful will be any improvement in the amp power as well? Anybody has tried this already?
Many thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.